• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at jumping headfirst down the rabbit hole...

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi all!

I've been away for a few years now, sold my jet boat, bought a mini yacht and then sold that 2 summers ago...got married last fall. Lots of changes! But I didn't let go of JB through it all.

Last night, my wife caught me off guard. Came up to me and said... "what do you think of getting a boat this summer?". Color me shocked. I explained to her that I'd only get back into boating if we bought a jet boat, and one that could easily be pulled by my Yukon. She is ok with that!

Now. I've been researching... And looking for boats. TONS of new '21 boats on the market near me...not so much for the used market? COVID? Seems like that is the answer for everything lately?

IF we bought new, why? I was quite happy with the experience of my used SX230. I think this go around, I want something more set for wake. I'm a step dad now and would LOVE to introduce my son to the wonder of all that is water. He's like a fish, anyway. 🤷 I think he'd take to tubing, wake boarding and perhaps surfing pretty easily!

I'd love to hear thoughts regarding which model to look into. Seems like I'm overwhelmed by all the models Yamaha has to choose from these days.

TIA, it's good to be back posting on here!

Mike

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Congrats on getting the wife 'on board' with buying a boat. A couple thoughts after reading your post...

1) How old of a used boat are you thinking? As you may have already seen, there is serious upward pressure on the used boat market due to COVID. Most late model used boats that are only a couple years old are commanding near new pricing. If that's the case, why not just get new (assuming you can find it...new boat availability may disappear quickly in the next couple months). Be prepared to be at/near MSRP for a new boat these days. If you're considering used boats 4+ years old, you may be able to actually save some money over new.

2) Sounds like you're looking to go Wake boat, right? For used, you're looking at a 212X or a 242X. They're both top of the line for the 21 foot and 24 foot lineups, respectively. Just depends on how big you want. Late model 242X's are just gorgeous. For new boats, you've got a few more options. For 21 foot, you've got the 212XE and 212XD--only difference is the 'D' has the paddle shifters for low speed forward and reverse. For the new 25 foot line up, you've got the 252XE, 255XE, and 255XD. The 252XE has the standard twin 1.8L engines and is significantly down-spec'd compared to the other two (but still nice). The 255XE and 255XD have twin supercharged 250hp engines, full autowake controls, and all the other bells and whistles you'd expect from the top of the model line. Like the 212's, the only difference between the 255XE and 255XD is the addition of the paddle shifters on the 'D'.

Lots more to consider, but at least that's a start to the conversation.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Rabbit hole indeed! Welcome back... you picked a crazy time to jump back in for sure! So you can read most of this on here and you are probably seeing some of this already if you are looking. If you want a boat this summer - you need to act quickly. Used boats are being priced crazy right now - essentially close to getting original MSRP on a 2-3 year old boat. New boats are essentially locked up in pre-orders from months ago with wait lists and dealers having some boat orders being cancelled on them due to lack of inventory/parts from Yamaha - due mainly to COVID (yes the answer to everything).

I was in the same "boat" a couple of months ago - New 2021 or Slightly Used 2019/2020 model - Used boats were going fast - it was end of season anyways - and people were paying crazy prices - I decided to go new - deposit paid/waiting on my new 2021 AR250 (black/green).

I felt it was worth it to pay an extra $9-10K and get the new boat - 1 owner (me) - I will have full Yamaha factory warranty and a dealer relationship - better finance rates - 25 footers with the new design are bad ass as well and will have a great resale value.

I don't know if your reference to '21 was 21 foot boats or new model year 2021 - either way if you have tons of new '21 on the market near you - that is a rare thing. I would jump/run down and plunk down a deposit this weekend (not joking as everyday matters) to ensure you have a shot at a boat for this summer.

If debating size - go bigger if you can! The 25 footers have the head - and that alone is worth the extra - I was considering the 212S vs. the AR250 - price was negligible... I went with the AR250 for size and resale.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
21ft minimum on size. Definitely go for a model with stock ballast, unless your handy, or there's the possibility of having the dealer add it like I did to my AR240. If we're talking about adults or teens surfing, you'll want to add some additional eight to the swim deck on the fief side. (I run the custom swim deck bag from @jcyamaharider.) Either way you'll be glad to have ballast for water sports activities. The stock X model boasts are 90% there for surfing.

Like the ballast, GPS speed control is also a big component of watersports capability. For that you're looking at either an XE or XD, or aftermarket add-on (Ridesteady is awesome). As a rider, it's so much easier when the boat can maintain a consistent speed. As the driver, there's less distraction when you can eliminate the need to constantly manage the speed.

The last things to consider would be a wake shaper for surfing. The 21ft models don't feature the automatic WakeBooster like the 25ft XE and XD do. If those aren't your boat of choice, then you have the option if the Wake Wedge or the WakeBooster. In my opinion, the Wake Wedge with added ballast generates the best wave. I'd urge you to consider it.

If you want want some help getting outfitted with equipment feel free to reach out. I've got your hook-ups.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1) How old of a used boat are you thinking? As you may have already seen, there is serious upward pressure on the used boat market due to COVID
Well, initially I was thinking a few years old, but now I’m considering buying new. Interest rates are pretty decent right now and having that warranty from the factory seems like a win to me.

2) Sounds like you're looking to go Wake boat, right?
Yes, that’s the way I’m leaning. I’d prefer to buy already set up so I don’t have to add anything/much in the future.

I felt it was worth it to pay an extra $9-10K and get the new boat - 1 owner (me)
I’m agreeing 100% with you!

If debating size - go bigger if you can! The 25 footers
I really like the 2021 AR250, and the 2021 252XE. Thoughts?

21ft minimum on size. Definitely go for a model with stock ballast, unless your handy, or there's the possibility of having the dealer add it like I did to my AR240.
For me, I feel like after having the SX230, and then the SeaRay 270, I really like the comfort point at 25’. I think that’s plenty of boat space for our needs, and wants.

Thanks so much for all the insight so far! I’m always learning and would love more recommendations!

Last edited:

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

smack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
I was sort of in the same boat as you are (or lack of a boat) until last weekend. We have a lake house now and need a boat to put into the boathouse there and also looking to do more water sports, primarily surfing. Have had 210 and a 242 and also have a couple of wave runners, needless to say, quite the Yamaha fan. I bought both my boats at a place in Dallas (Phill Dill) that also sold Regals and some Pontoons. I went in with the idea of the the 255XD in mind which was parked next to a Regal LS4 Surf. Ultimately after many conversations with the folks there and test driving boats, I went with the LS4 Surf (shocking myself as I have loved my Yammies) - the difference for me was really the ease of enabling surfing and the quality of the fit and finish. No external bags, no wake booster - just press the button and you're filled up, tabs are down and you are surfing. It doesn't get out of the hole anywhere near as nice as the Yamaha nor does it have the stick to the water 180 degree instant turn of a jet boat but for what we were looking for it felt like a more capable boat. I haven't received it yet to give you any sense of a first review and I may come to regret my choice but if you are looking to surf , I think it's worth looking at everything that's out there - price difference was about $10K at the end of the day vs the 255XD. Still have my wave runners so get my jet fix there and time will tell how I feel about the decision.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me, I feel like after having the SX230, and then the SeaRay 270, I really like the comfort point at 25’. I think that’s plenty of boat space for our needs, and wants.
I prefer the 24-25ft size for sure. 👍👍

In that case, it's a matter of narrowing down stock features vs add-ons.

At the time I purchased in 2016, I was shopping for my first boat. I thought the 242x was a bit out of reach, but I liked the size and capability of the 242x. In the end, I ended up with my AR240 with a dealer installed 3 bag 3 pump integrated ballast system, and upgraded JL stereo (replaced factory speakers, +2 tower speakers, + sub, +2 amps) all for less than the cost of a Limited S. I later added the Ridesteady, Wake Wedge, and transom ballast.

I realize now, after the fact, that I made some very lucky/smart decisions. I didn't realize I'd be so into surfing or become a watersports dealer as a side hustle. I just wanted the capability... I was lucky Ridesteady was a option for the speed control... etc. It all added up to a a very capable boat that's served us well for 5 years now and something the whole family loves.

Good luck on you're quest!

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I realize now, after the fact, that I made some very lucky/smart decisions. I didn't realize I'd be so into surfing or become a watersports dealer as a side hustle. I just wanted the capability... I was lucky Ridesteady was a option for the speed control... etc. It all added up to a a very capable boat that's served us well for 5 years now and something the whole family loves.

Good luck on you're quest!
This is a quest, no doubt! I'll keep you posted on where it leads me!
There is definitely a future for my family on the water, just want to make the best choice for us out the gate :)

smack

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Always that one guy who has to veer me off my chosen path to look at other models. 😁😁

::Googles LS4 surf::
It was definitely not where I expected to end up that's for sure!!!

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will speak the heresy: You should wait.

Things are crazy in the market right now. With COVID, everyone went out and bought a boat. Supply went down. Then the factory supply chain for Yamahas started having issues. Supply went down. As a result we have seen very inflated prices--new and used.

My thought is that once people are out from under COVID and can do other things and/or the supply chain frees up and boats are being made again at a regular pace, we are going to see supply shoot up. And prices will fall quite a bit.

Were you selling an old boat and buying a new one, there would be a premium on both (and therefore less loss). Here you are just buying. I would sit out a summer, as painful as that is. By the time we get to the end of summer or the fall, you may be able to pick up whatever boat you want for much cheaper.

Now, not that I expect you will do that (after all, you have the spousal green light now!). But there you are.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Seeing your reference to Wake series... the 252XE if you can swing it at $84K (that was my quote on one) is hard to beat for the full "out of the box" package. The LS4 is super nice - but price them out $130K is what I got when I did a build - too much for 6 maybe 7 months of boating season here in NE Ohio.

252XE

I couldn't justify the extra $20K and went with the AR250 as it fit everything I need/want in the boat and at $60K is a steal imho compared to what is out there (i looked at lots - everything was an addon/upgrade/extra for every other manufacturer - not Yamaha they give you a complete package for a great value) - the 25 footers will have amazing resale value as well - and its a Yamaha - there is a reason you can't find them new or used - they sell like hot cakes - and they always do - just a bit hotter than normal now.

I have seen videos of the AR250 with just a wake boost and surfing so it is not out of the equation.... add the ride steady and IMHO (i am not nor are my kids going to be doing competitive wake surfing... ever) you have a very usable wake boat option. Not my thing (plus my kids are 4 and 10) - tubing, fishing, sand bar relaxing and cruising/water restaurant hoping is our thing. AR250 does all of that and more.

Regarding the compare on the AR250 vs. the 242X - I think he went with the 242 - I don't think there is a bad choice. Just choose for you - figure out what works best for what you want to do - decide (but hurry) and jump down the hole!

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Heresy for sure! I get used prices are crazy right now - which is why I opted for New - Dealers are not gouging on New - they are selling for less discounts than normal but deals are still being had. I would not pay MSRP on a 2 year old boat - but the deal I got was new AR250 for $500 below msrp with coast guard kit, yamaha anchor and mooring cover thrown in. Was a November boat show special.

Was it $2K under MSRP and free extended warranty? No... but about a $3K swing all in for a boat NOW - This Summer - is well worth it to me. If I had a boat already - waiting may be an option.

Also, I keep hearing wait it out - things will be normal next month, then 3 months, then 6 months. That was 2020 - well its almost February 2021 things are still the same. The damage that COVID cost the economy is not a 6 month recovery thing unfortunately... my guess is 2 years from now (so I am talking 2024 model year - as 2022 model year will be released in Augustish of this year) Yamaha will be back to a "normal" pre-covid supply level.

But I don't have a crystal ball - none of us do. I say go for it - my 10 year old would say YOLO.... but seriously... YOLO man.... Get the boat, enjoy the wife/family on the water and have an amazing summer.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length

Things are crazy in the market right now. With COVID, everyone went out and bought a boat. Supply went down. Then the factory supply chain for Yamahas started having issues. Supply went down. As a result we have seen very inflated prices--new and used.

My thought is that once people are out from under COVID and can do other things and/or the supply chain frees up and boats are being made again at a regular pace, we are going to see supply shoot up. And prices will fall quite a bit.

Were you selling an old boat and buying a new one, there would be a premium on both (and therefore less loss). Here you are just buying. I would sit out a summer, as painful as that is. By the time we get to the end of summer or the fall, you may be able to pick up whatever boat you want for much cheaper.

Now, not that I expect you will do that (after all, you have the spousal green light now!). But there you are.
I agree with the heresy. My wife and I are seriously considering putting our boat up for sale at the end of next month because of the premium we can get for it. Then we'll watch the market and buy again when it comes crashing down, since it won't be able to sustain these prices after people return to a pre-Covid lifestyle.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can’t disagree with you regarding supply and demand. We’ve seen that pretty much across all facets of life this past year (who knew buying a large trampoline would be so difficult??)

I honestly don’t see us waiting til the end of summer to purchase. I know that makes more sense. It does! But to lose out a summer of memories over money? That makes less sense to us.

I couldn't justify the extra $20K and went with the AR250 as it fit everything I need/want in the boat and at $60K is a steal imho
My wife when I told her the cost of the 252 vs the AR250...was like...😳😳...so I can add all the extras on over time I suppose? I guess my thoughts were to get it done from the factory with the clean install and no time lost on my end. Unless I could purchase the AR and have the dealer do some things for me before I take possession of it.

BTW, I’ve missed this forum. The best forum out there.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hi all!

I've been away for a few years now, sold my jet boat, bought a mini yacht and then sold that 2 summers ago...got married last fall. Lots of changes! But I didn't let go of JB through it all.

Last night, my wife caught me off guard. Came up to me and said... "what do you think of getting a boat this summer?". Color me shocked. I explained to her that I'd only get back into boating if we bought a jet boat, and one that could easily be pulled by my Yukon. She is ok with that!

Now. I've been researching... And looking for boats. TONS of new '21 boats on the market near me...not so much for the used market? COVID? Seems like that is the answer for everything lately?

IF we bought new, why? I was quite happy with the experience of my used SX230. I think this go around, I want something more set for wake. I'm a step dad now and would LOVE to introduce my son to the wonder of all that is water. He's like a fish, anyway. 🤷 I think he'd take to tubing, wake boarding and perhaps surfing pretty easily!

I'd love to hear thoughts regarding which model to look into. Seems like I'm overwhelmed by all the models Yamaha has to choose from these days.

Mike
@Mr
Hi all!

Mike
@MrWizard ..... I would definitely see if there were any used or trade-ins available in your want profile but if I bought new I'd be tempted to go with a boat that you and in particular your stepson (and ALL his friends) won't outgrow. So I'd get the twin 1.8 Supercharged models to haul around all those guys who spent 23.5 hours a day in the fridge as you will need all the pull you can get. Roger Penske " I never heard anyone complain they had too many horsepower." ....... :cool:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I'm definitely considering that! I don't want to WANT to upgrade in the next few years.
@MrWizard ...... take it from me, been there, the "kids" grow-up (literally) real fast and want to bring friends with them (also good) out onto the water which requires room and horsepower. Get it right the first time instead of having "2 foot regret" I respectfully recommend. :cool: