• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

I’m torn need help! Used low hours 2019 242XE vs a 2021 AR250

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My wife and I are really torn on what to do. We are looking at some used 2018-2019 242X models which would be a really good upgrade for us because our daughter likes to wakeboard and wakesurf. Either that or a brand new 2021 AR 250. I like all the bells and whistle‘s of the X model from a few years ago that the AR250 does not have also it’s more surf ready on the old X model but I was told you can do some upgrades get the racks on the side of the boat and all of that with the AR 250 and not really spend that much more. What would you guys do it with you? Would you buy the brand new AR 250 and upgrade with surf package and racks installed on side and speakers installed up on tower to make it more surf boat style or would you get a one or two-year-old 242X with low hours? The AR250 of course is brand spanking new no marks on side of the boat we would be first owners. I honestly don’t like the colors on AR250 as much as X models but I think black green might grow on me. The AR250 of course is 25’ and more room on board and maybe have a few things the X model wouldn’t have?

Thoughts?

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Pretty close to the same in price

tim h

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Trophy
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Real time availability of the 2021 ?? vs having the used one in your driveway sooner.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Found a few new ones in stock and regardless can’t boat until spring/summer in Va Beach for water sports

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would lean toward used. Even if you did everything your self, it's still going to cost a significant amount of money to build the AR to be similar.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks fellas, any more opinions are welcome. Equipping an AR250 with surf and speakers would be similar price to a used X. So it’s just a matter of which boat is better (options) and which would surf better water sports better etc.

Dave burke

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I was going to say the same thing as @jocolo21. E-throttles are very helpful for water sports.

i also compared the AR with the other 25 ft options on the Yamaha website and the sound system is much better on the X series. Plus you have the built in ballast system which is pretty good in my experience. You might need to add more ballast at some point but you’ll be good for a while.

when I bought my 212X in 2017, I looked at the options and concluded that it was the best value for me. Even at that, I probably put in $2k of stereo upgrades. But the 2018s/2019s have better systems so I’d guess you’ll be fine for a while.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Because you asked... I think you are fortunately to have two good, viable options. From there it is almost like buying a car, or even a house. Previously owned could always mean there is some kind of problem that someone is offloading, but I think more often there are a host of benefits. In this case you're getting a boat someone else has already resolved all the initial quality problems, how well they took care of it is evident, you save on the initial depreciation hit, you won't feel as bad when you put the first ding in the gelcoat, and it will cost less and fund your first additions or you'll get more for the same $. New is nice, as no one has touched it before, full, long warranty, often better financing options, you get to personalize it first, but it could also be a PIA in that first month or year as little stuff needs to be addressed by the dealer. CPO Mercedes or new Buick, you decide. I think you answered it by saying your daughter likes to wake surf. (and I'd go previously owned, and did, 'cause I knew I was gonna ding the gelcoat!)

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
i would at least go for the S model , no offense but the 250 its just plain of cough up and go for the 252se
Your profile shows you have an AR?
I get paying to step up to the S model in the 21ft boats to get the bigger engines, but $14-18k more for the same drivetrain on the 25 ft boats seems like a lot.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
The only thing the AR250 has is the new style swim platform seating that is pretty cool. But I'd go 242X all the way of it was me. All the kinks already worked out, 10hr service done, etc. Plus probably many owner upgrades which add up quick

canefan75

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The 250 is not a '25 boat, its 24'6". So if youre thinking the size justifies extra price, youre only getting 6 more inches.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
242 is better equipped, and pre blemished. If after a good inspection the boat is good and all kinks have been shaken out, if it was me, I'd be inclined to go for the 242.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 250 is not a '25 boat, its 24'6". So if youre thinking the size justifies extra price, youre only getting 6 more inches.
That's what she said :D

I would get the 242XE myself. Don't like the new styling personally.

DaytonFlyer1068

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Not sure what state you’re from but in Georgia there is no sales tax on private sale used boats. I just bought a 2019 212S in October and paid zero sales tax. Saved me thousands. Not sure if the used boat you’re looking at is from a private party or dealer but it’s definitely something to look into.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Your profile shows you have an AR?
I get paying to step up to the S model in the 21ft boats to get the bigger engines, but $14-18k more for the same drivetrain on the 25 ft boats seems like a lot.
I had a 2019 242se now I have an ar252se

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to be fair, I believe the 240's (and 242's) are actually 23'6"... So you are getting another foot.

That said, I would throw my opinion in for going used. You would be surprised what the upgrades will cost you and the first year depreciation of the boat.