• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at my first jet boat this weekend, help!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Be sure to test drive!
It doesn't do 60 mph... sorry. Close though.
The second it is in your possession upgrade the oil lines!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
x2 on what @Speedling commented on. It probably does closer to 40MPH... that's a red flag to me. Has the owner ever been in the boat?

The ad says low hours on the engines (30 hours?) which sounds near impossible for a 1998. I think you will find that these engines have been replaced or rebuilt. Again, seller could have been more upfront or he may not be telling the whole truth since these do not have hour meters.

You should definitely check the compression on all cylinders. Look for 115-120 and consistency across all cylinders.
The price seems very high since these were selling used in 2004 for prices in that range. This is a single engine and I would think a great condition version should be in the $4-$5 range with the dual engine exciter being more in the $6-$8K range.
Ask to see a receipt for when the carbs were last rebuilt and expect at least a receipt for the OEM rebuild parts. If he can't produce it, I would question how well it was maintained

Do not agree to take a check for more than the amount of the sale, wire money to switzerland, or provide your bank routing number. Sorry, Craigslist has a lot of scammers especially in the area of boats/skis. Be careful

Tylorwashere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Man, what would I do without you guys lol. I was kind of suspicious about the whole 30 hours thing too, I figured he meant 30 hours on a fresh rebuild. And @Speedling, am I replacing them because they just start to rot over time? Or because the factory ones were junk?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Man, what would I do without you guys lol. I was kind of suspicious about the whole 30 hours thing too, I figured he meant 30 hours on a fresh rebuild. And @Speedling, am I replacing them because they just start to rot over time? Or because the factory ones were junk?
They get hard and brittle with time and engine heat and then pop off the pump or carb and now there is no oil in your engine.
I have a piston on my desk i can show you . I keep it as a reminder of my first boat.

I also keep a spark plug that got so hot towing the exciter through the Appalachian mountains it welded together. Dodge Dakota v8 just wasn't up to the task. Hopefully my desk doesn't add more items anytime soon!

Tylorwashere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
They get hard and brittle with time and engine heat and then pop off the pump or carb and now there is no oil in your engine.
I have a piston on my desk i can show you . I keep it as a reminder of my first boat.

I also keep a spark plug that got so hot towing the exciter through the Appalachian mountains it welded together. Dodge Dakota v8 just wasn't up to the task. Hopefully my desk doesn't add more items anytime soon!
Is there any merit to just disabling the oil injection and pre mixing? I did this with my old 2 stroke quad because I didn't trust it lol

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is there any merit to just disabling the oil injection and pre mixing? I did this with my old 2 stroke quad because I didn't trust it lol
Yes. There is kit to do just that. I'm not a 2 stroke guy so I don't know the advantages/disadvantages.

Tylorwashere

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
For everyone trying to help me out here, thanks alot. The guy just emailed me back and he seemed kinda sketchy so I decided it was a no go.

There is one more though that I've found. If someone could please check it out before you all get too sick of me lol.

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/5646753095.html

I really like the interior setup of this one, I was just a little skeptical at first when he said the tac doesn't work, but if it's an easy electronic fix (electronics is my thing) then it's a good point to talk him down from.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Many people do it and it will run just fine, however the pump is variable speed and gives the engine more oil when needed and less when not needed. When working as intended it is the ideal. Plus, when you crank your engine over it gets oil immediately wheras with premix i would highly recommend a primer or an electric pump system.

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I believe it's essentially a 175 HP mercury outboard mated to a jet pump. I would looks towards someone like @Bilmon for more info.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an exciter 135 in good shape. Sold by a good buyer last year. I like my boat. But i am very mechanically inclined and did all the work myself. There has been lots of things to do. Replaced engine blown seal due to plug wire loose. Starter a fuel gauge sending unit and other nick naks. Its fun but very costly. I want a bigger boat but love the fact that its a si gle. Less parts to go wrong. I would not buy this or any older boat if I didnt know how to work on them.boat mechanics rates are costly and their job is to fix things. Boats always need fixin.

robert cabrerea

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Read the ad...looks nice. I think its worth it. If he still has it. But you will out grow it. Good luck.