• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Please read the Classified Ads Posting Rules before Posting something for Sale!

Boats MUST LIST A LOCATION (State)IN THE TITLE (Seems people can't read lately)-along with Make/Model/Year

Completed Looking for a 2010-2013 AR240 or 242 Limited S..

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm looking at a 2013 with 76 hours. Has an upgraded stereo and find. For 42k. Wyat do you guys think?
That sounds like a decent price for a 2013.. from what I have seen.

Fabio S.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats on your purchase, it looks like you are going to make up this year's breakdown with an upgraded ride. I hope to join you in 2016. I might wait till October's ftlauderdale boat show to pull the trigger on my purchase.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@kthrash ......... Congrats on your new boat.
Looks like a real Winner !
Wishing you many years of Happy Boating Memories and Good Times ~ !
Looking forward to more photos, soon - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the purchase!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice find....congratulations!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congrats!

If you don't get an extended warranty with it I suggest you continue to use the same type of oil it has in it now. Assuming the oil coolers have not already been upgraded. The first owner of my 2010 242ls always used basic non synthetic Yama lube with no problems with the oil coolers during the first 100 hours of operation. I bought the boat and switched to full synthesis oil and both of the oil coolers failed before the 200 hour mark, coincidence. maybe but .... Thank God for the extended warranty or it would have cost me $1,250 per engine.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what is this oil cooler issue? Where can I find info on it?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@kthrash , I'm not trying to bring you down rather inform you of what I perceive to be a defect in the 2010 240s.

I've had my 2010 242 ls for almost 3 years/4 seasons now and still love it but 2010 was the first year that Yamaha used put the 1.8 liter engines in their boats, actually only the 240s got them in 2010 and some or many (I don't know, Yamaha doesn't keep or publish the stats) have had problems with the oil oilers. The theory I buy into is that the cooler face is either too thin or made off a different metal or grade of metal than the rest of the cooler. As such when it goes through heat cycles it expands and contracts to the point where the face cracks or warps causing a leak. Some have had the head on the third bolt down pop off which sometimes causes a leak.

Here is a link to a greet thread on the subject, it describes how to ID which coolers are subject to failure, the problem and solutions / work arounds in much more detail than I did above.

http://yamahajetboaters.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=59496&hilit=+Oil+cooler

Again, not trying to bring you down the 2010 242 is a solid boat, I bought one used knowing that the oil coolers could fail, it was worth the gamble too me but I hedged my bet by paying $40 to transfer the extended warranty purchased by the original owner of the boat.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just emailed the dealer and specifically told them to look at this on the boat.. when I get there Saturday if it has the old style cooler cover, I will replace the bolt in question and keep an eye on it... I am very mechanically inclined so even if I have to spend $1200 on parts down the road, at least I can do the work myself..

I just spent the last hour reading everything I could on this issue.. :eek:

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just my 2 cents on this. If the boat hasn't had an issue yet you will probably be OK. I didn't have an issue and talking to my dealer (and reading about it on-line) there are lots of 2010 (and some 2011) that never had this issue. Maybe (as mentioned above) it is the oil used since I always used the Yamaha oil as well. I do check for any leaks but 5 years later and the engines are still perfect (I hope I didn't just jinx myself). I think it is good to be aware and know if there are very low hours you may still have a potential problem but again after 5 years and probably many hours the engines have either been fixed or they are not one of the problem engines. Like I said above I still look for oil leaks because I am paranoid! HA!

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so is it worth $1800 for a extended YES 2 year warranty??

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't think the warranty is worth $1800 if all you want to do is cover the coolers (mine 3rd party warrant only covered the hull, engines and pumps and I've heard the Yamaha yes warranty isn't much better). The coolers are about $700 each so if you had to replace both on your own it would be cheaper than the warranty by $400. FYI the bolt fix is the cheapest preventive measure I can think of.

Going to rluck's comment, you are probably fine but keep in mind that my boat had a hundred hours on it when I bought it two years old and the coolers were fine. They only started leaking after I got it and switched to synthetic oil and aftermarket oil filters.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yeah I am thinking with only 56 hours on the boat, if they are leaking now I will have the dealership fix it now, if not I will replace the bolt and watch it..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why not have the dealer replace the bolts before you buy the boat. That way if it breaks during removal it is the dealers problem?

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Woot! Made it home with the new to me 242LS!!!

Only issues are it needs a good buffing, and the shower on the deck is broken! Awesome boat!

No issues with the oil coolers, gonna replace the bolts asap

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats and glad you made it home today!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
With out any additional info I will make an assumption, your shower may just have an air bible in it. Easily fixed by attaching and turning on the hose and hitting the button on the shower head. Wait for it to fill up completely and water will come out of the vent forcing the air bible out. I have t do this a few times a season with mine.

Glad ya got it home!

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually the whole shower handle is broken/detached.