• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for boating vacation ideas

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I have an extra week of vacation unspoken for this year trying to think of something cool and fun to do with the boat but with minimal towing.. I would tow up to 5 hours from South Carolina maybe further if the Idea warranted it but really trying to take it easy. I have thought about taking the ICW down to Florida from SC or possibly going North up VA or something but I'm open to suggestions. Everyone on here is good at helping others spend money so help me spend mine lol! No I'm not going back to the Bahamas so no need to suggest that there are plenty of places in the states I would like to see by water as well. I would like to find a location I can spend a few days at and still have fun. I have thought about the keyes but if I'm towing that far I may as well go to the Bahamas. @Andy S @Ramblin Wreck @1948Isaac @JROD @veedubtek @DieselCamel you guys got any good ideas I have not really thought of?

Last edited:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would think a lake in the mountains of South Carolina, North Carolina or Virginia would be a nice change. In South Carolina, Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee are on my list of lakes to visit.

This might be a little farther than you want to tow but on my boating bucket list is the Okeechobee Waterway and I would go from Stuart, FL to Fort Myers. Here are a few good links for planning the trip.

http://www.captainjohn.org/LakeOchee.html & http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Lake-Okeechobee/Okeechobee-Waterway-OWW/

upload_2017-7-28_6-35-21.png

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Boat up lake Hartwell to a Clemson game. ;)

Brit would suggest the Outer Banks as that's where she really wants to go visit but you may have been there already.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would think a lake in the mountains of South Carolina, North Carolina or Virginia would be a nice change. In South Carolina, Lake Jocassee and Lake Keowee are on my list of lakes to visit.

This might be a little farther than you want to tow but on my boating bucket list is the Okeechobee Waterway and I would go from Stuart, FL to Fort Myers. Here are a few good links for planning the trip.

http://www.captainjohn.org/LakeOchee.html & http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/Lake-Okeechobee/Okeechobee-Waterway-OWW/

View attachment 61351

@veedubtek where is the mountain lake you guys were showing us where you rented the house on the water? That looked super nice and very relaxing.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@veedubtek where is the mountain lake you guys were showing us where you rented the house on the water? That looked super nice and very relaxing.
I think that was fontana lake in nc. We have wanted to do that as well..

JDSCHMOO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check out Lake Anna in Virginia. We're heading there in 2 weeks. This will be our 3rd year there.

Great lake, lots of relaxing & fun to be had.

Also check Smith mountain lake in Virginia .

Haven't been there yet, but have heard nothing but great things about it.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

View attachment 61351
I do like the mountain lake idea especially if I can find a clear water lake.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boat up lake Hartwell to a Clemson game. ;)

Brit would suggest the Outer Banks as that's where she really wants to go visit but you may have been there already.
I will pass on the Clem Tech game lol. I have been to the outer banks but have not taken the boat or ski that is still on my to list to run the boat or ski out to hatteras island maybe I will explore that option a little more.

JROD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
So I have an extra week of vacation unspoken for this year trying to think of something cool and fun to do with the boat but with minimal towing.. I would tow up to 5 hours from South Carolina maybe further if the Idea warranted it but really trying to take it easy. I have thought about taking the ICW down to Florida from SC or possibly going North up VA or something but I'm open to suggestions. Everyone on here is good at helping others spend money so help me spend mine lol! No I'm not going back to the Bahamas so no need to suggest that there are plenty of places in the states I would like to see by water as well. I would like to find a location I can spend a few days at and still have fun. I have thought about the keyes but if I'm towing that far I may as well go to the Bahamas. @Andy S @Ramblin Wreck @1948Isaac @JROD @veedubtek @DieselCamel you guys got any good ideas I have not really thought of?
How about we head down ICW to Stuart Fl, and do Okeechobee waterway to Ft. Myers or all the way to Sanibel island? I was thinking about similar trip down ICW to Miami 2nd week AUG for 10th anniversary of my 1st jet ski trip NC to Miami back in 2007.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How about we head down ICW to Stuart Fl, and do Okeechobee waterway to Ft. Myers or all the way to Sanibel island? I was thinking about similar trip down ICW to Miami 2nd week AUG for 10th anniversary of my 1st jet ski trip NC to Miami back in 2007.
If I still had the skis I would be in I can't justify the cost of that in the boat at this time fuel would be crazy and it would likely be me solo in the boat. I will do this at some point but need some of my crew to be ready for it as well who are not at this time.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would suggest Lake Fontona. Definitely my favorite lake so far. Look into a floating house as a rental.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would suggest Lake Fontona. Definitely my favorite lake so far. Look into a floating house as a rental.
Is this the one you all stayed in @DieselCamel. Walt showed me some pics while in Abacos and it definitely looked like a great time. If I recall correctly he said the water was really calm and their wasn't many folks on the lake in general.

Capture.JPG

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Ramblin Wreck. Yes that's the one. Awesome place with an even better caretaker named Bobby. I only remember one boat cruising by and rocking the place. Extremely little traffic on that lake. Which is unreal

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that was fontana lake in nc. We have wanted to do that as well..
I went to Fontana, the houses were kinda cool and the scenery was pretty but seemed like a very dirty lake. Not on my list to go back to.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I want to do the trans FL crossing too. I launch every time out of the St. Lucie River too.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lake Okeechobee has been in the news the last couple of years for being very polluted. IMO there are literally hundreds of better options in Florida. I'm thinking of coming up to your backyard (Lake Marion/Moultrie) the weekend of 8/19 as it falls in the path of totality for the solar eclipse. I assume you've worn out this lake chain by now?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lake Okeechobee has been in the news the last couple of years for being very polluted. IMO there are literally hundreds of better options in Florida. I'm thinking of coming up to your backyard (Lake Marion/Moultrie) the weekend of 8/19 as it falls in the path of totality for the solar eclipse. I assume you've worn out this lake chain by now?
Not worn out but I have made it to them the last 5 years. If your going I highly recommend taking the pinopolis lock down to the cooper River and making the run to Charleston and back. The lakes themselves are really unimpressive. Lake Marrion you have to be really carefull on lots of really shallow spots and not well marked.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you like camping or woodsy cabin life, Jocassee is amazing. Devil's Fork State Park has cabins and boat-in-only tent camping sites. The lake is pristine an mostly untouched by man. There are lots of waterfalls to find and the only way on the water is through the park so once the parking lot is full, no one else gets in. That means even on the busiest day you still see very few boats on the water. If you want a more glamorous experience with lavish boathouse living, Lake Burton (GA) is a great option. There are lots of VERY nice houses to rent and practically every house has an over-the-top two stall boathouse. We also enjoyed Lake James in North Carolina. Awesome lake and great houses to rent.
IMG_1453.JPG
Jocassee waterfall taken from the boat! Navigating into the "bowl of rock" using the precision of a jetboat is a blast and much easier to do than other boats once you know how to make her "dance".
IMG_1400.JPG
Sunset on Lake Burton.
IMG_1126.JPG
Morning fog on Lake James.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Never been, but something on our boat- bucket list is St Joseph Bay in Florida.

@blacksapphirez has been there. Apparently good snorkeling and scallop catching. Bring your boat grill and enjoy fresh scallops on the water!