• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Looking for help with 2017 212 Limited S starboard engine.

NickF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking for some advise, just some back story, the spark plugs and oil were changed two weeks prior, boat has 110 hours on it. I took the boat out last weekend and as we finished up for the night, I started to hear the starboard engine sounding off. Boat ran great, didn’t feel down on power as I was pulling the kids on a tube all day. My gas gauge was reading 0% but under power would jump to 10%, so basically low. Now this was the last of the tank from October with stabil in it. I checked the dipstick and the oil looked great, I plan to pull a plug this weekend and fill it up with 93 to see if it might just be bad gas, however the port engine is running smooth. I haven’t done the 100 hour recommends dealer service on it, but am planing on it. Just not sure if I’m done for the season or if it’s something I can fix myself (pretty technical savvy). Appreciate the help. I can’t post a video here, but was able to post the engines starting here, Log into Facebook

You could have something stuck in your impeller

When you say sounding off do you mean alarm horn..................and motor did not go into limp mode? Was one motor running rough and did she give you any codes.

When you say sounding off do you mean alarm horn..................and motor did not go into limp mode? Was one motor running rough and did she give you any codes.
Never went into limp mode nor any alarms or codes went off with the system. I say off, as it had a different tone by just listening to it compared to the port engine.

I would recommend checking your impeller by pulling your clean out plug and feeling around, like others have suggested. Also try not to let your boat get that empty, which may be easier said than done if no gas docks and have to pull it out to fuel it up. Also check your oil level and your air filter to make sure it looks clean and decent.

Last edited:
I would recommend checking your impeller by pulling your clean out plug and feeling around, like others have suggested. Also try not to let your boat get that empty, which may be easier said than done if no gas docks and have to pull it out to fuel it up. Also check your oil level and your air filter to make sure it looks clean and decent.
The clean out ports were cleared and I didn't feel anything on the impeller and the oil level was perfect. I'm kind of hoping its just some bad gas from letting the tank get empty, but scratching my head since the port engine is running smoother. I plan on checking all these things tomorrow and will post an update.

If the boat is on a trailer check the front side of the impeller from the intake grates under the boat. Tiny things (sticks, fishing line, etc) can cause weird vibrations and sound.

I understand now I'm with AZmark on impellers sounds like impellers had/has an obstruction that caused a little cavitation..........it will make the motors sound and feel a little different. Look for line/rope/stick/weeds ect............and while you are in their inspect caulking in the tunnels ect..........just missing some caulk can cause problems.
Never went into limp mode nor any alarms or codes went off with the system. I say off, as it had a different tone by just listening to it compared to the port engine.

I agree with the above that there could be something stuck in there even if you can’t see or feel anything. I would suggest pulling the pumps and take a look. Here’s a video on how to do it.

I understand now I'm with AZmark on impellers sounds like impellers had/has an obstruction that caused a little cavitation..........it will make the motors sound and feel a little different. Look for line/rope/stick/weeds ect............and while you are in their inspect caulking in the tunnels ect..........just missing some caulk can cause problems.
I checked yesterday but didn't see anything. I was able to get to the zerk fitting on the back of the motor and shoot some grease in there. The motor was sounding fine, however whenever I engaged going forward I was getting a Vibration coming from somewhere. It wouldn't do it all the time, but noticed it. I think i have to take the pump off an inspect the impellers.

If the boat is on a trailer check the front side of the impeller from the intake grates under the boat. Tiny things (sticks, fishing line, etc) can cause weird vibrations and sound.
I will have to check that next time I go up there (boat is about 45 minutes away from me). I plan on pulling the pump and seeing if there is something there.

Its possible that its cavitating slightly only on that engine. Could account for the vibration in forward. The other possibility is that the intermediate bearing is starting to go bad

Back