• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for Tips for the AR 190

P3nnywise

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After years of sitting on the lake in my Bayliner Capri and coveting the Yamaha's from afar, I came across a 2013 AR 190 with under 20hrs on the motor, and made the move. I am so excited to get out there this year on the lake in this new beauty!

Any maintenance tips from the Yamaha veterans out there on things I need to make sure to do on a daily usage basis to ensure I keep it running properly? I purchased Thruster XL's and will be installing them today based off the research I did on how they improve slow steering performance. Looking for any other tips.

Thanks
Ed

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just drive it.

We had a '98 18' Rinker 182 (3.0L) before our AR190. The Yamaha is significantly less "things" to worry about. No prop to drag in shallow water, no outdrive to remember to bring up when trailering, no winterization to speak of. We love our jet boat and most likely will never go back to a standard I/O, if for no other reason than the ease of maintenance. The extra space, reliability, and functionality are icing on the cake IMO.

Useage thoughts:
  • Take some time and LEARN how to drive it. It is going to handle significantly different than your I/O. Especially around the dock. Go read this thread and spend some time learning and applying it. It sounds ridiculuous to someone that has had a boat for years to have to take that kind of time to learn how to dock your fancy new boat........but it's totally worth it. Once I had it figured out, I can hold the boat stern in to a slip without dock lines just inches away. Enough that people can just step on to the swim platform and walk into the boat. Same thing with trailering, you can just slowly work your way onto the trailer.
  • It will wander at speed more than you expect, even with thrust vectors. I mean wander in this sense as it's a light boat, and large wakes will push you around more than you're used to. Especially if that Capri had more deadrise at the stern.
  • There is a dead spot in the middle of the steering. I'm told this is normal and nothing to worry about. Still took some time to get used to.
  • If you're a watersports person, you'll enjoy the tower. If you're not, you'll still enjoy the tower. It's great to have all the "overhead" stuff, well, overhead, and not have 1001 lines and poles coming backdown to the sides. Makes a great handle when at the dock and you just want to hold the boat in position and not tie off.
Maintenance thoughts:
  • I had the 10hr service done at the dealership to preserve warranty. I probably could've done it myself. Honestly so far, I have no reason to think I'll even use/need the warranty. The boat is dead simple mechanically, and honestly there isn't much else going on electronically/etc. It's a pretty easy boat to work on I've found (Not that I've done anything other than a few tiny mods to it).

Modifications thoughts:
  • I just put a Lucky 13 Pump Cone on to try and help with cavitation during high load conditions. I'm still evaluating the effectiveness of it. So far it didn't HURT anything, but I'm not 100% certain it really helped either at this point.
  • Boat Buckles.....I want some, I hear they are great.
  • Stereo Remotes.....Another item on my list of things to add. Reaching into the glove box for the radio control gets old in a hurry.
  • Speakers....I intend to add some form of sound to the tower. Can't really hear the cockpit speakers when in the water behind the boat lounging (we do that alot)
  • Bow Roller.....Get a new one ASAP. I didn't and now the front of the boat is all scuffed up :( :(
  • Get radial tires when the time comes. Bias-Ply tires suck and flatspot in a hurry.
That's about all I can think of right off hand. NONE of the mods are necessary IMO, just nice to haves. The boat is plenty capable 100% stock.