• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How I use No Wake Mode and TDE to retrieve my boat

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For new jet boat owners it seems retrieving or controlling the boat at slow speeds is the biggest issue, especially when around the dock or retrieving on the trailer. It was blowing a steady wind on Friday but I figured it was a good opportunity to show how I use both of these features to control my boat when I retrieve. Notice the wind was blowing pretty good and it takes pointing the bow into the wind to keep a straight heading since the wind was blowing across from the port side. If I didn't compensate for the wind then the boat would have certainly drifted off course. At the very last second I will turn the boat back towards the center of my truck so that it lands on the bunks straight. Normally I approach my trailer in No Wake Mode setting #1 (first tap) on a calm day but on that day it required setting #2. I keep the throttle in the first detent so that TDE is engaged and if I need to slow down for some reason there's no need to panic, just throw it in the first detent of reverse to keep both NWM and TDE engaged. Also note that my bimini was not deployed but if it were it would act like a small sail or chute so that would mean you would need to compensate even more to keep your heading.

Just wanted to show that even in windy conditions these boats can still be manuevered just fine even with the stock rudder on the newer boats. Some people may prefer to use the throttle(s) entirely with short bursts of thrust but I find using NWM and TDE allows me to concentrate on my heading and not worrying with the throttle aspect + steering while using momentum and thrust to my advantage.

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ve just been idling rather than no wake mode. (Since that’s what I was used to with my I/O. ).

And trying to just bump in and out of forward, neutral and reverse as needed. But, I’m feeling like I should have a little better control.

Is there enough difference that I should bump the rpms up to no wake? I’ve only got 1 setting for no wake mode, which seems to run about 2,200 rpms I think. Idle is closer to 1,700.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. This is my first jet boat and after my maiden voyage the other day I can tell I will need some practice on maneuvering.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 you should have 3 settings of No Wake Mode with each setting a bit higher RPM for more thrust. I use NWM for exactly the issues you are having as it gives me enough thrust to put the boat anywhere I want it. If I just used short bursts then often times the boat will naturally swing either by current, wind or the silly nature of these boats once there is no thrust. So that makes for a lot of little adjustments and corrections which I find is more stressful than just relying on NWM to set your speed so that you can focus on steering.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the info. This is my first jet boat and after my maiden voyage the other day I can tell I will need some practice on maneuvering.
Next time you're out go find a trot line jug or buoy to practice pulling next to and maneuvering around. That way you can focus on your skills without worrying about hitting a dock or whatever. After a few trips out you'll be a pro in no time.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ll give that a shot next time I’m out. Pretty sure my NWM is either on or off. If I hit the button a second time it turns it off. Mine is an ‘11.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Next time you're out go find a trot line jug or buoy to practice pulling next to and maneuvering around. That way you can focus on your skills without worrying about hitting a dock or whatever. After a few trips out you'll be a pro in no time.
That's a great idea. Thank you.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@BigAbe75 Hmm maybe the earlier models was just like the first PWC's with it where NWM was an on or off thing? Are your engines MR1 or 1.8?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's a great idea. Thank you.
Just don't run over the jug or buoy so you suck up a line :D. Keep a few feet distance just to give yourself some room for error ;). If you can't find a buoy you can also throw out a life jacket and practice maneuvering to pick it back up.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hmm well if the MR1's don't have 3 settings of NWM then that sucks man! It really is a nice feature being able to set different no wake speeds, especially in wind or current.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I need to power load I’ve been using this method since I got the boat. Works perfectly. I usually need to use the 2nd no wake since I deal with river current along with wind.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Never tried to load with NWM engaged.......wait.......I've never loaded my jet boat. My wife has done it since day one. I'll have to ask her and get her to try it out :) :)

In other thoughts....what is TDE? Thrust Direction Energizer? Totally Dominant Elephant? Thursday Dinner Entertainment?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Never tried to load with NWM engaged.......wait.......I've never loaded my jet boat. My wife has done it since day one. I'll have to ask her and get her to try it out :) :)

In other thoughts....what is TDE? Thrust Direction Energizer? Totally Dominant Elephant? Thursday Dinner Entertainment?
It stands for Thrust Directional Enhancer and was introduced on the 2012+ models. Basically it positions the nozzle partially open (first detent) so that some thrust is still diverted below the boat to help aid in maneuvering at slow speeds. It works in forward or reverse as long as you're in the first detent. No Wake Mode will stay engaged as long as you're in the first detent no matter what direction you put the throttle in. Think of the first detent on your throttle in either direction as TDE mode. When you use NWM + TDE the boat is really good for maneuvering around docks or tight spaces.

Last edited:

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm old school and don't use no wake mode for landing on the trailer. On the old I/Os they didn't have that option so I learned to do so without the rpm set. I've found that small bumps of the throttle from neutral-TDE-FWD and then back to neutral will help keep her on course.

Of course, in a situation like some wind above, it may be nice to have a set thrust.

To each his own so long as it works.

AZ Native

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
f I didn't compensate for the wind then the boat would have certainly drifted off course. At the very last second I will turn the boat back towards the center of my truck so that it lands on the bunks straight.
@hacknslash good stuff. What you just described is one of the first things I learned when getting my pilot license. When landing an airplane, 99% of the time you have to compensate for some wind. Keeping your speed steady with "power on" (not idle) and a consistent track on the center line, correcting at the last minute is what is called "crabbing". The only additional thing a pilot has to do is dip his wing into the wind when straightening the line to avoid sliding off center line. You land on one wheel into the wind and the rest follows as you loose lift. At least with a jet boat you only have to worry about 2 axis, not 3. Drawing a mental line to the center of the trailer and concentrating on that line makes all the difference. Keeping the trailer a little further out of the water also improves deceleration when under power so you don't slam the bow stop.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup I love seeing those videos of planes and jets landing in storms with a lot of crosswind and they come all in sideways then straighten up at the last minute.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@haknslash thanks for the explanation on TDE. I've got 30hrs on the boat and have never used the 1st detent. Had to walk out in the garage and climb into the boat to verify I even had that 1st detent. I've always just blasted past that and headed straight to the 2nd detent. I'll definitely have to give that a try on the next outing.

Shannon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Great post @haknslash. I started doing this last season. For those windy days it has saved my ass a few times. So with NWM along with the CJS viper the wind does not bother me at all. Before learning this last year from a you tube video. I almost never went out on windy days. This should be a really good tool for the new JBoaters..

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Had the boat out yesterday and gave this a try.

Worked OK around the dock when we came in for a snack. Bumping into/out of forward/reverse with NWM enabled seemed to help a little. "Neutral" is definitely NOT a no-movement situation though, so I suspect some tuning of the reverse bucket position has to be done there to get that resolved. Overall though I think it was slightly easier to handle overall.

Wife tried it while loading the boat and hadn't practiced out in the water ahead of time, only took my reccomendation/suggestion on trying it. Immediately didn't like it, turned it off and then immediately trailered the boat perfectly without it. Probably a practice and comfort thing there. I'm not going to complain, however she gets it in on the trailer without damage is fine with me!