• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How I use No Wake Mode and TDE to retrieve my boat

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea I think is for sure a comfort thing. If you're used to bumping in throttle inputs and come in slower it's probably more comfortable for her but the tendency to wander will be greater. Just takes some practice then it becomes second nature for me. Like you said whatever gets the boat safely on the trailer works best. This weekend I was at a ramp that is tucked into a cove so it is protected by wind and I did not need NWM engaged and just bumped in the throttle. All depends on the situtation but most times I'm on river with current a wind at an exposed ramp so NWM is always used at my home lake.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the boat out on a mostly rainy Saturday without the family. Just a good friend and myself. We were installing the L13 cone at the ramp, and attempting to do some before and after testing, so there was a lot of time to practice without being rushed.

Using the first click up on no wake mode, and then using only the first detents on the throttle lever I was able to position the boat nicely within the launch/retrieve docks. After a couple of attempts I was actually able to back in and keep the boat stationary within inches of dock without lines or bumpers. There is definitely an "art" to it, and taking the the time to learn and experiment was SUPER useful. At one point I was starting to experiment with moving the boat laterally by "scooting" the stern over in reverse, then a slight opposite push in forward, then a pull in reverse again. All very small times "in gear".

I would highly recommend anyone learn this technique now that I've had some time to figure it out and explore how it really works. The control is really astounding, and it's not terribly difficult once you wrap your head around which way the boat moves under what input condition. Also, learn on a day at the dock that isn't busy, and you don't have fun seeking passengers with you. No way would have I gotten this kind of time without going out alone and forcing myself to take the time to learn.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad to hear you took another stab at it when you can play around without boring or making the family feel nervous. I boat solo a lot so this has given me plenty of alone time to really get to know the limits of the boat over the past 2 years. It is definitely something you have to learn as a skill but once you do it becomes second nature and you'll find these boats can easily maneuver where you want them to go in most situations. Great review @2kwik4u !

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Do the e series have TDE? From memory I only felt one maybe it’s only partially open in the first detent the older 2005 model I would definitely feel a surge shifting from forward to reverse . Lateral thrusters are a nice add on but I would always forget what direction to turn the wheel and what throttle handle to use so labels were installed with a quick glance the label in front of each throttle lever has either wheel right , wheel left then below that label Back end with arrows pointing to what direction it will go when that throttle is bumped . Back end for someone that may be driving and not know that stern is the back . Anyone docking knows that your making a lot of quick decisions and keeping an eye on passengers as well, wheel direction and throttle need conscious thought and it’s not driven enough that it’s controlled by the subconscious part of my mind. Kind of like driving a stick shift it just flows without much thought.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Cambo dude, thanks for asking that. I was wondering if I just was too dumb to find that TDE position on my e series. There is definitely only one detent. Not sure if this is what people call fwd idle or if it TDE. I was just to afraid to ask haha

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do the e series have TDE? From memory I only felt one maybe it’s only partially open in the first detent the older 2005 model I would definitely feel a surge shifting from forward to reverse . Lateral thrusters are a nice add on but I would always forget what direction to turn the wheel and what throttle handle to use so labels were installed with a quick glance the label in front of each throttle lever has either wheel right , wheel left then below that label Back end with arrows pointing to what direction it will go when that throttle is bumped . Back end for someone that may be driving and not know that stern is the back . Anyone docking knows that your making a lot of quick decisions and keeping an eye on passengers as well, wheel direction and throttle need conscious thought and it’s not driven enough that it’s controlled by the subconscious part of my mind. Kind of like driving a stick shift it just flows without much thought.
Which ever direction the throttle shifter points is the one you want to use and turn the wheel that direction on twin engines. The right throttle handle points left so use that throttle with the wheel all the way to the left and the rear of the boat goes left, an easy way to remember it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you have the plus/minus buttons below the joystick, that’s for TDE. Only works in that small range of throttle binnacles positions.

Also - little known fact - you can use those buttons to crank up RPM in reverse past the limiter!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love the TDE but it is not always useful. Sometimes you just need those stern bursts of thrust.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, you have TDE. Place your throttles in the forward idle position (where the notch is felt). the Boat will creep forward in TDE by default. From there, move the throttles about 1/2 a handle width and then you have full thrust in forward idle. The bucket change is evident in the sound of the thrust. In open water, try this change while looking at the exiting thrust and you'll also see the difference.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If you have the plus/minus buttons below the joystick, that’s for TDE. Only works in that small range of throttle binnacles positions.

Also - little known fact - you can use those buttons to crank up RPM in reverse past the limiter!

SO what is the difference between TDE and no wake mode?

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
SO what is the difference between TDE and no wake mode?
TDE is a bucket position feature. NWM is an engine RPM feature. The first detent in forward or reverse is in TDE position.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
TDE still keeps the buckets slightly covering the nozzles. Moving the levers approximately 1/2 of their thickness moves the buckets completely out of the way.

No Wake on the E-Series boats has 3 settings and is designed to allow you to navigate distances at "no wake" speeds.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
When I get home from work I will be hooking up the hose and will have my son mess with no wake mode and the shifter / throttle to see whats its doing. Always learning something new

Ratket

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@haknslash and others-
When you guys are using NWM, do you go “1 click forward in TDE” or two clicks to nozzles fully open?

I was playing with this this weekend, and ended up using both. Not sure if there is a right way or wrong way. I also noticed while in “TDE “ mode my steering felt a little heavier and I imagine it was due to the buckets not being fully opened.

Thanks Guys.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Watch these vids. The first one explains TDE and shows the various positions...

This is how I used it when I had the Yamaha....

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
ok. so I don't have that then. I only have one detent. I have Neutral and then the next detent is F/R. After that there are no more detents until WOT. I think I've said detent too many times and it starts to look strange.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ok. so I don't have that then. I only have one detent. I have Neutral and then the next detent is F/R. After that there are no more detents until WOT. I think I've said detent too many times and it starts to look strange.
Yes the first detent is the only detent.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To me, all positions that permit operation of “no wake” 1, 2, 3 are associated with TDE.
Except maybe in the 2nd detent forward, if Its there, the TDE effect is very weak.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Detent

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To me, all positions that permit operation of “no wake” 1, 2, 3 are associated with TDE.
Except maybe in the 2nd detent forward, if Its there, the TDE effect is very weak.

So does your boat actually have multiple detents? Mine does not. But I believe our throttles maybe different also. I think that might be a change with the 19. Our throttles acts just like a Stern drive to include a locking neutral.