• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How I use No Wake Mode and TDE to retrieve my boat

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So does your boat actually have multiple detents? Mine does not. But I believe our throttles maybe different also. I think that might be a change with the 19. Our throttles acts just like a Stern drive to include a locking neutral.
At 6:50 in this video it shows the new binnacle for the 19’ boats and you can hear the detents. Seems like the main difference is the locking neutral button.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At 6:50 in this video it shows the new binnacle for the 19’ boats and you can hear the detents. Seems like the main difference is the locking neutral button.

Nope, my boat doesn't have any clicking except for the one. I wonder if it's defective or intentional. I'm curious about other production 19s out there.( @tabbibus ) I might have to swing by the dealer in the next few weeks.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Mine is MY18. E series. For sure no other detents. And the one there is definitely does not click as loudly as that

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So does your boat actually have multiple detents? Mine does not. But I believe our throttles maybe different also. I think that might be a change with the 19. Our throttles acts just like a Stern drive to include a locking neutral.
Yes, like my old 190, the 2016 240 has 2 forward detents.
This is from an old post, but shows the basic configuration:
Here are some pics of my 2012 SX190 shift/reverse gate at various throttle positions (sorry for crappy pics, didn't have time to pull the boat out). These are to illustrate the earlier discussion of TDE and models (I was getting confused and needed to double check my memory). Learning something all the time here!

1. Reverse
View attachment 38251
2. Neutral
View attachment 38252
3. Forward - 1st Detent
View attachment 38253
4. Forward - 2nd Detent
View attachment 38254
5. Forward - WOT
View attachment 38255

--

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So checked out the gate operation when in neutral and shifting out of neutral then applying throttle . It does move in 3 different positions half way 3/4 then full or almost full need to look into that. From 17 years of driving the other way it’s hard to brake the habit of bumping from forward to neutral with little pulses, when done on the new boat it just feels and is sluggish . This is the e series so it may be different with other models there is a lot of junk by the boat dock and the water is not that deep with the gate in the 3/4 position directing some water down could blow junk loose to get sucked into the impeller . There would be even more of a chance when using no wake mode. It did happen this season now I know why in shallow water it may be a good idea to run on one motor when going slow with it shifted slightly into the throttle open position. When members have had rocks get lodged in the shift gate it’s from hitting reverse with thrust it blows everything off the sea floor and all the debri is temporarily suspended in the water and ends up in places it shouldn’t be . If you live in an area with deep water it’s not noticeable . In my location tides swing 3 ft on the south shore and Almost 8 feet on the north shore and occasionally when trying to get to certain locations the water gets shallow and I have always gone slow no wake speeds and never had an issue. I wonder if there is a way to recalibrate the electric gate controller to just go to full open .

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For new jet boat owners it seems retrieving or controlling the boat at slow speeds is the biggest issue, especially when around the dock or retrieving on the trailer. It was blowing a steady wind on Friday but I figured it was a good opportunity to show how I use both of these features to control my boat when I retrieve. Notice the wind was blowing pretty good and it takes pointing the bow into the wind to keep a straight heading since the wind was blowing across from the port side. If I didn't compensate for the wind then the boat would have certainly drifted off course. At the very last second I will turn the boat back towards the center of my truck so that it lands on the bunks straight. Normally I approach my trailer in No Wake Mode setting #1 (first tap) on a calm day but on that day it required setting #2. I keep the throttle in the first detent so that TDE is engaged and if I need to slow down for some reason there's no need to panic, just throw it in the first detent of reverse to keep both NWM and TDE engaged. Also note that my bimini was not deployed but if it were it would act like a small sail or chute so that would mean you would need to compensate even more to keep your heading.

Just wanted to show that even in windy conditions these boats can still be manuevered just fine even with the stock rudder on the newer boats. Some people may prefer to use the throttle(s) entirely with short bursts of thrust but I find using NWM and TDE allows me to concentrate on my heading and not worrying with the throttle aspect + steering while using momentum and thrust to my advantage.

Well done!