• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking for used tow Vehicle (242x)

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Get the v8 if you were to pull anything.. Well I looked up tow ratings and something changed from 2018 to 2019. 2018 v6 was 3500 tow capacity. So I don't know then.
Google thinks that, Jeep says otherwise. No idea what the confusion is.
Screen Shot 2019-02-21 at 12.49.45 PM.png

I do agree with you though, go with the V8. My wrangler has the same drivetrain that's in the older GC's and while it does fine I'd like more punch in hills and be able to hold 65+mph on hills and steeper terrain.

Jimxo

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Google thinks that, Jeep says otherwise. No idea what the confusion is.
View attachment 88406

I do agree with you though, go with the V8. My wrangler has the same drivetrain that's in the older GC's and while it does fine I'd like more punch in hills and be able to hold 65+mph on hills and steeper terrain.
Thanks for posting this information.

I'm learning towards the v6 since we live in a flat area. I will investigate the used Ford explorer.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
GC was not reliable for me. My dad has had explorers since 1994! 5 so far. All have been reliable and solid. I recommend anything over the GC. It was awesome when it did not need work, I'll give you that.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
GC was not reliable for me. My dad has had explorers since 1994! 5 so far. All have been reliable and solid. I recommend anything over the GC. It was awesome when it did not need work, I'll give you that.
What needed work? Been a long time Jeep owner, prior to this I owned an XJ and ran that thing damn near into the ground and still sold it for 5k when I was done with it. LOL! Wouldn't recommend it but even towed a 10k lb trailer with it once. HAH! Thing was a beast. It never left me stranded but wasn't without issues, mainly the AC evap core leaked and took the compressor with it. That wasn't fun or cheap. Other than that I can't think of anything else that needed to be replaced. My JKU is a 2016 with only 30k miles and so far no hiccups and as you can tell I don't baby it. :)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Man, It had a love afair with the shop. Little trebble speakers failed, butt warmers failed, AC Blend doors failed, O2 Sensors failed, Transmission and GearCase needed rebuild all before 90K miles, at which point we sold it. I'm forgetting one other thing. I purchased a 5 year 100K warranty and they paid over $3500 before it expired. It was a 2002 model. My brother in law had a 1999 and he had a similar experience. This was the limited 4x4 with the 247 Quadra Trac and the V8 HO. It was a beauty, and the transfer case system was awesome, but it just asked for too many repairs for my taste.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Man, It had a love afair with the shop. Little trebble speakers failed, butt warmers failed, AC Blend doors failed, O2 Sensors failed, Transmission and GearCase needed rebuild all before 90K miles, at which point we sold it. I'm forgetting one other thing. I purchased a 5 year 100K warranty and they paid over $3500 before it expired. It was a 2002 model. My brother in law had a 1999 and he had a similar experience. This was the limited 4x4 with the 247 Quadra Trac and the V8 HO. It was a beauty, and the transfer case system was awesome, but it just asked for too many repairs for my taste.
ohhhhhh yeah, those years were a nightmare. They did not have that full time 4wd system figured out back then. Biggest mods to those was switching to the NP242 Tcase and making it part time. That reduced a lot of the drivetrain stress. The engine/tranny combo that's in the new models is stout. That motor in that year was suspect too. The 5.7L hemi is a good solid motor.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
"AC Blend door failed" haha that job requires the entire interior comes out. If I remember right, the blend door breaks and blocks the inlet of air? I came up with a method for other customers that if they wanted heat, then I could skillfully remove the blend door without taking apart the entire car. The problem is that I couldn't skillfully install the new blend door. The compromise is that they have heat, but they couldn't use the defrosters. Many people were willing to take that compromise because that's a 1-day job and you need heat in NY. I would only charge them $100 for my trick.

Last edited: