• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to buy used Yamaha AR190 or SX190 - found a 2017 AR190 for $25K

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I'm looking to buy a used Yamaha AR or SX190. Holy smokes these are hard to find. I live near Portland Oregon and found one near San Francisco. It's a 2017 AR190 for $25K - firm price. I really don't want to pay this much for a boat - I'm not in a huge hurry, but if it's a reasonable deal, I would consider driving there to get it. It sure seems like these boats hold their value. I was hoping to find an older one for under $20K but it's hard to find anything right now. Maybe you see more of them in the Fall or when Covid-19 isn't wreaking havoc.

Is there much difference between the older vs newer models - I am mostly concerned about reliability as opposed to bells and whistles - has the engine changed much or the jet drive for example. I don't want to spend $20K on a boat only to throw a bunch more money at it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I currently have a 1998 Sugar Sand Mirage and wanting a bigger boat for the family and friends. thx!

Here's the craigslisting: SOLD!!!! 2017 Yamaha AR 190 - boats - by owner - marine sale

Last edited:

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Just noticed the craigslist add said sold. Must have just happened. Anyway - still interested in thoughts on whether there are any years of AR/SX 190s to avoid. I really don't want to mess with the older dual engine models. I found a few in the classifieds but they are all on the East Coast. Probably not worth spending $2K to have one shipped.

scubasteve87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have an SX195 and really the 190 model lines have not changed too much from a mechanical or performance standard going on 8+ years at this point. The engines and drive lines are pretty much the same. Only major updates have been some color schemes to the exterior, interior cushion designs and materials and some electronic features.

Starting with the 2019+ the 190 received a redesign with the hull, layout and other items so that is the major difference. However the engine and drive line is pretty much the same and unchanged since 2012.

The 192/195 line has had multiple changes over its life span with engines receiving different super charges, different pump sizes, inter coolers and options as the higher trim level.

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply Steve - super helpful. I'm Steve as well - but never scubad and on the other side of the continent...

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have the same boat (2017 Ar190) why is the tower different not just the color but the mounting brackets. Strange.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same boat (2017 Ar190) why is the tower different not just the color but the mounting brackets. Strange.
Someone either didn't like the forward swept tower from the factory, or damaged it. That is DEFINITELY NOT a factory tower.

My '17 AR190 doesn't have that tower either.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I am not sure if my model is RX1800 but I do know I have never seen that tower on a 2016 or newer ar190/195

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Sean R and @2kwik4u - good observation. One of the pictures says the model is RX1800 (https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/default/files/boats/2020-04/26/244388/yamaha-ar-190-2895281.jpg) is that what yours says as well?
Link says 403 forbidden

99% certain mine is an RX1800AS.......I'll go check the registration here in a minute. I think there is a tag/label in the engine compartment that tells you the "model number".... Yamaha Sports Plaza lists it this way as well

I can tell you mine was the first one registered in Indiana for 2017 as the DMV had to create the model number in the system to get my registration completed. That's the only reason I have any idea what the actual model number is.

Also, for anyone looking.....I'll let my '17 AR190 with 133hrs go for $28.2k with all the mods. That's what I owe and if I can break even on it, I can probably talk the wife into upgrading to a 24ft pretty easily :D

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Thanks Hapyfishrmn. I'll look into that one in Sacramento. A little out of the price range I was looking but what the heck. I've never seen that Boats From USA website. Is it legit? I've seen a couple photos of that one from Sacramento on fake craigslistings. I don't see a place where it allows you to post a boat for sale.

I'm looking beyond my driving distance if a good enough deal comes a long, I may consider having it shipped. Only casually looked into what it would cost and it looks like maybe around $2K for cross country kind of distance. There are so many fake craigslistings out there for these boats.

Last edited:

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do deligence is needed for sure. Inspect the smallest detail. I don't know much about the site. Since I was looking for the same boat I ran across the site.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u what mods do you have? Any pictures?
I should really keep a running mods list.
  • Added stereo remote to helm
  • Wetsounds Stealth 10 UltraHD sound bar on tower
  • Polk DB651 speakers (upgrade from stock MA speakers)
  • Access door to under helm area with sealed door
  • L13 Pump Cone
  • Ribbon Delete
  • Sealed intake tunnel
  • Spare tire/mount/Yamaha spare tire cover
  • Yamaha Deluxe Premium Cover (black one)
  • Battery moved further rearward and inboard
  • Yamaha GINORMOUS sunshade kit
I'll throw some pics up when I get back to a PC. I'm pretty active on the forums, so you can search my username and find a ton.

Couple items to remedy before I sell. I won't let it go until these are complete. I want to make sure the next owner has a good experience right out of the gate.
  • Oil change (parts ordered)
  • Plug change (parts ordered)
  • Replace factory bilge (on order, non-auto currently installed)
  • Find hot water leak and repair (hope to address this weekend, I have a whole thread on it).
  • New radial tires (researching now, most likely moving up a size and putting Aluminum wheels on at same time)
Its been an amazing boat for us. We're just ready for a bigger one. It's not officially listed for sale yet, were hoping to run it the remainder of the season, then upgrade at the boat show this year, but if someone wants it bad enough, we'll let it go.

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
@schnur07
I'll keep a lookout for anything I see that's out west and tag you on it if I come across something
Thanks! I'm trying to stay around $20k. Maybe not feasible unless I find an older one. I set up craigslist to send me a notification when ar190 pops ups anywhere - also need to do the same for sx190.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks! I'm trying to stay around $20k. Maybe not feasible unless I find an older one. I set up craigslist to send me a notification when ar190 pops ups anywhere - also need to do the same for sx190.
Probably have to go back a few years in age to get one at $20k or below. The slightly newer models (forward swept tower) are still going for mid-high 20's currently. The boats are functionally the same though, just different towers, and other styling elements. Someone bought a repo'd '17 AR190 for $23.5k the other day, so you're not far off.

Current boat market/climate is going to drive prices up though.

Good luck!

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Keep me in mind towards the end of the season. Its been a tough spring and wouldn't want to take your summer enjoyment away too early. Hopefully the weather is still suitable to give it a test drive.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@2kwik4u Keep me in mind towards the end of the season. Its been a tough spring and wouldn't want to take your summer enjoyment away too early. Hopefully the weather is still suitable to give it a test drive.
I'm sure we can set something up sooner if your really interested. PM me if you like and we can discuss :D