• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking to buy used Yamaha AR190 or SX190 - found a 2017 AR190 for $25K

hapyfishrmn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@shnur07

Finding a 2017 at the 20k might even be a suspicious find. Even though NADA suggest $21k as a low retail. I think with the supply short and in the middle of the season its going to be north of that.

1592320919809.png

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Dont forget the trailer on NADA that 1100 more $

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Not sure exactly what you're looking for but found a few SX190s today. But not all that close to Illinois..

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
I'm ok with anything as old as 2012 when they first started making the single engine boats. Are they always in short supply or is this an odd year because of COVID? I can wait until next year if I don't find anything. I'll just keep cramming people into our glorified jet ski! But at least it's fast...

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm ok with anything as old as 2012 when they first started making the single engine boats. Are they always in short supply or is this an odd year because of COVID? I can wait until next year if I don't find anything. I'll just keep cramming people into our glorified jet ski! But at least it's fast...
If you like the fast....get a 192/195. Much more potential for speed there.

Plenty of power in a 190, but it's not going to win any drag races. The 192/195 boats will be a solid 10mph faster than a good running 190 under the same load and conditions.

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
They added the articulating 2016, is that worth waiting to find a 2016+ vs 2012-2015?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They added the articulating 2016, is that worth waiting to find a 2016+ vs 2012-2015?
I've never driven one without (I have a '17 with the AK), but I don't think it adds significant advantage. The adoption rates (at least anecdotally) of aftermarket steering aids appears to be about the same both before and after the AK introduction. So it can't be adding that much to the experience.

I personally don't like anything hanging down below the keel. We bought jet boats to have a shallow draft, and nothing to "kick" while swimming near the rear platform. Adding sharp metal down in that area defeats both of those ideas. I don't run aftermarket fins either, and that's one of the reasons.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
After 2016 the cleanout plugs were redesigned and there was a timing chain issue that was fixed on the 2015 and newer 1.8 engines.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After 2016 the cleanout plugs were redesigned and there was a timing chain issue that was fixed on the 2015 and newer 1.8 engines.
Good call. I forgot about the cleanout plug redesign, that's a big deal IMO. The new design is much more robust IMO.

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
So is the timing chain just an issue with the SVHO engines? I'm only looking for the AR/SX 190s. And what makes the redesigned cleanout plugs better? Easier access? thx!

schnur07

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Mirage
Boat Length
Also trying to make sure I understand differences between the SX and AR190. The tower of course and I think the seating is different from what I've read. I'm assuming with the tower, the AR190 can't be parked a garage. Do people find the covers for them are adequate if left parked in the elements all fall, winter and spring? I live in rainy Oregon, so the boat would only get used in the summer. I'm assuming that removing the tower to store it would not be an easy task?

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Also trying to make sure I understand differences between the SX and AR190. The tower of course and I think the seating is different from what I've read. I'm assuming with the tower, the AR190 can't be parked a garage. Do people find the covers for them are adequate if left parked in the elements all fall, winter and spring? I live in rainy Oregon, so the boat would only get used in the summer. I'm assuming that removing the tower to store it would not be an easy task?
They can be parked in a garage with a few very very simple modifications to the tower. Use the search function and you will find some great info on how to do that. That is a standard 7 foot garage door that I fit mine in due to the info I found on here. And the main reason I bough a 19 footer to store.

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a great thread by haknslash. You can VERY EASILY modify the tower retention cable stops to allow the boat to fit in a traditional 7ft opening. My opening is right at 84.5" to the weather stripping and I miss by just an inch or two going in and out. My tower sits all the way down and rests on the steering wheel, and lightly touches the port side window.

I did this within 15 min of being home after purchasing it. My driveway slopes pretty heavily down and away from the garage, so this looks better than most. I don't remove the bimini any more and it still clears on the way in without a problem.
20170506_151800.jpg

I'm fortunate to have high ceilings in the garage so I can put the tower back up once inside. If not, then either the cable stops need to be added back (and lengthened), you you can build a quick support to hold the tower weight off the steering wheel. Here is a post with the parts I used.
20180526_165721.jpg

The seating is the major interior difference between the SX and the AR. The AR has wrap around seating, or "J seating", while the SX has a second captains chair. I like the J-Seating myself, it gives us a little more storage under the seat (We have a slim cooler, and shoes that go there). The 192/195 boats (both SX and AR) have SS cupholders instead of plastic, and aluminum grab handles instead of rubber/plastic. Those can all be swapped out later if you like. I think they have nicer speakers and stereo as well. Here's a shot of the interior on my '17 AR190, and the tiny cooler that fits under the seat. It's not really tiny, just slim height. Works amazingly well.
20170527_172106.jpg 20190226_180426.jpg

The only "big ticket" item on the 192/195 series IMO is the supercharged engine and possibly larger jet pump. All the 190's have a 155mm jet pump, and I think the 192's do as well. The 195's moved to a 160mm jet pump. The rest of the features can be added/removed/changed later if you like.

I've left my boat outside a number of nights for various reasons. Maybe 15-20 overall. Even in a torrential rain, the interior stayed dry. This was during a rainstorm on vacation last summer in TN. Full on summer thunderstorm downpour in action. I pulled the cover back to go out later and the carpet was still dry to the touch. Now, on the expressway while towing with the same cover on, the water pools in the bow and will "soak through" the cover and drip into the bow area. Once that is saturated, it runs back into the ski locker drains, and eventually out the back. Not a big deal, but if you're storing it for a long period, make sure the anti-pooling poles (or you use the "hangtyte system) are in place to keep the water running off. If I was storing outside often, then I would most likely coat the cover in a hydrophobic silicone spray a few times a year to help with water runoff. I have zero data for you on how the cover holds up to sun. We tow with it on, always, and we're on season two and it still looks like new.
MVIMG_20190620_181425.jpg

dscable

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a great thread by haknslash. You can VERY EASILY modify the tower retention cable stops to allow the boat to fit in a traditional 7ft opening. My opening is right at 84.5" to the weather stripping and I miss by just an inch or two going in and out. My tower sits all the way down and rests on the steering wheel, and lightly touches the port side window.

I did this within 15 min of being home after purchasing it. My driveway slopes pretty heavily down and away from the garage, so this looks better than most. I don't remove the bimini any more and it still clears on the way in without a problem.
View attachment 123112

I'm fortunate to have high ceilings in the garage so I can put the tower back up once inside. If not, then either the cable stops need to be added back (and lengthened), you you can build a quick support to hold the tower weight off the steering wheel. Here is a post with the parts I used.
View attachment 123113

The seating is the major interior difference between the SX and the AR. The AR has wrap around seating, or "J seating", while the SX has a second captains chair. I like the J-Seating myself, it gives us a little more storage under the seat (We have a slim cooler, and shoes that go there). The 192/195 boats (both SX and AR) have SS cupholders instead of plastic, and aluminum grab handles instead of rubber/plastic. Those can all be swapped out later if you like. I think they have nicer speakers and stereo as well. Here's a shot of the interior on my '17 AR190, and the tiny cooler that fits under the seat. It's not really tiny, just slim height. Works amazingly well.
View attachment 123116 View attachment 123117

The only "big ticket" item on the 192/195 series IMO is the supercharged engine and possibly larger jet pump. All the 190's have a 155mm jet pump, and I think the 192's do as well. The 195's moved to a 160mm jet pump. The rest of the features can be added/removed/changed later if you like.

I've left my boat outside a number of nights for various reasons. Maybe 15-20 overall. Even in a torrential rain, the interior stayed dry. This was during a rainstorm on vacation last summer in TN. Full on summer thunderstorm downpour in action. I pulled the cover back to go out later and the carpet was still dry to the touch. Now, on the expressway while towing with the same cover on, the water pools in the bow and will "soak through" the cover and drip into the bow area. Once that is saturated, it runs back into the ski locker drains, and eventually out the back. Not a big deal, but if you're storing it for a long period, make sure the anti-pooling poles (or you use the "hangtyte system) are in place to keep the water running off. If I was storing outside often, then I would most likely coat the cover in a hydrophobic silicone spray a few times a year to help with water runoff. I have zero data for you on how the cover holds up to sun. We tow with it on, always, and we're on season two and it still looks like new.
View attachment 123115
Not to hijack the thread, but @2kwik4u I NEED a link to that Cooler, or the local store you purchased at (I'm in Indiana as well).

EDIT - I found it. Here is the link for anyone else interested: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-24-Can-Stacker-Portable-Cooler/dp/B002BMCLMU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=coleman+party+stacker&qid=1592485452&sr=8-1&th=1

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not to hijack the thread, but @2kwik4u I NEED a link to that Cooler, or the local store you purchased at (I'm in Indiana as well).

EDIT - I found it. Here is the link for anyone else interested: https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-24-Can-Stacker-Portable-Cooler/dp/B002BMCLMU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=coleman+party+stacker&qid=1592485452&sr=8-1&th=1
That's the one. Bought from Amazon as well. Have a green one in my cart now to use for food/snacks/etc. You can easily fit 9 cans, and then probably another 10-12 bottles of water on their side with some ice. I'll take a pic the next time I load it up. It works REALLY well for not making people move from their seat when you need a drink.

Speaking of which.....I spent a great deal of time and effort to minimize the amount of "getting up" that people have to do when on the boat. It REALLY helps when you have a full load of passengers. Just the wife and I, and our two boys it's not bad. Get another family of 4 on board, and getting into seat compartments becomes a pain in a hurry. Lines are in a laundry bag behind the drivers seat on the floor. Bumpers are in the ski locker with lines already attached. Coolers are currently under the seat for drinks and a soft sides on the floor at the drivers feet. Vests are on kids, or in the top of the ski locker for adults if needed. Snacks are in the passenger side helm storage door, near the front, in stackable totes. Towels are in the drivers side helm storage near the front. Infrequently accessed items in beach bags, water toys, floats, things like that are in the underseat compartments. We work pretty hard to make sure we're not constantly asking people to stand up/move. Makes it SOOO much easier when docking/rafting up, as well as just generally getting into things when stopping for lunch/etc.

Taking some time to think through those things, IMO, really helps maximize the "large boat feel" out of a 19ft. We've had no complaints on space when having (4) adults and (4) kids aboard. Those kids are usually 9,7,5,2 in age, so they're small, and sticking all 4 of them in the bow is no problem, and they're glad to have their friends nearby. That leaves the full cockpit for the adults, which is still pretty roomy as long as you don't mind playing footsie on accident a few times!

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have 2 of the Party Stacker coolers they work well, but on a hot Georgia day they ice won't last more than six hrs.

Attachments

dscable

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's the one. Bought from Amazon as well. Have a green one in my cart now to use for food/snacks/etc. You can easily fit 9 cans, and then probably another 10-12 bottles of water on their side with some ice. I'll take a pic the next time I load it up. It works REALLY well for not making people move from their seat when you need a drink.

Speaking of which.....I spent a great deal of time and effort to minimize the amount of "getting up" that people have to do when on the boat. It REALLY helps when you have a full load of passengers. Just the wife and I, and our two boys it's not bad. Get another family of 4 on board, and getting into seat compartments becomes a pain in a hurry. Lines are in a laundry bag behind the drivers seat on the floor. Bumpers are in the ski locker with lines already attached. Coolers are currently under the seat for drinks and a soft sides on the floor at the drivers feet. Vests are on kids, or in the top of the ski locker for adults if needed. Snacks are in the passenger side helm storage door, near the front, in stackable totes. Towels are in the drivers side helm storage near the front. Infrequently accessed items in beach bags, water toys, floats, things like that are in the underseat compartments. We work pretty hard to make sure we're not constantly asking people to stand up/move. Makes it SOOO much easier when docking/rafting up, as well as just generally getting into things when stopping for lunch/etc.

Taking some time to think through those things, IMO, really helps maximize the "large boat feel" out of a 19ft. We've had no complaints on space when having (4) adults and (4) kids aboard. Those kids are usually 9,7,5,2 in age, so they're small, and sticking all 4 of them in the bow is no problem, and they're glad to have their friends nearby. That leaves the full cockpit for the adults, which is still pretty roomy as long as you don't mind playing footsie on accident a few times!
GREAT info! We are really on our first full season with our AR190 and making everyone get up to get to things is one of the things that I am learning to hate (and why I was interested in your cooler). Thanks for taking the time to reply!!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
GREAT info! We are really on our first full season with our AR190 and making everyone get up to get to things is one of the things that I am learning to hate (and why I was interested in your cooler). Thanks for taking the time to reply!!
I found these totes at the local Dollar General for $1/ea. They will HANDS DOWN change the way you organize your boat. Same for the drawstring laundry bags. I think they were $3/ea at WalMart.

You can see I have the inflator and tube stuff in one, water toys in another, the waterproof box has insurance, registration, electronics, and flag (when not raised) in it. These will make your storage areas SOOOOO much easier to deal with, and cost next to nothing. Laundry bag has my dock lines (4 of them) in there, and usually lives in the little volume behind the drivers seat and in front of the passenger bench on the floor. Easy to grab when needed, and nothing else really fits there.
IMG_20190614_110728.jpg

We have similar ones from Sterilite that we keep all our snacks in. We buy individual chips/cookies/fruit snacks/etc from Sams, and keep them in those. The boys can rifle through them all they way, but know to always put the lid back on, and stack them back up. Makes it SUPER easy to keep organized on the water.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Dont forget the trailer on NADA that 1100 more $
Actually NADA has an asterisk in all yamaha values that says Trailer Included. Even though they give you the option to add, Trailer, bimini, stereo, etc, they are all included in the base price. So no need to add those to the value.

Good luck!

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Anyone know of any used 2019 or 2020 At 190 near NJ. Or within a few hour drive away ? I like the new design of the AR so not interested in the 18's or older. Thanks !!