• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loose shaft

Bradp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
so it seems like my starboard engine shaft is loose? What could have caused this and how can I fix it

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What engine shaft? Is it the shaft that goes from the impeller into the boat? or something you can see inside the engine compartment?

If it's the Pump shaft (I hope so, since it's the easiest to repair) you need to remove the pump from the boat and replace some bearings inside the pump. Not a total piece of cake, but it's easy to do with the right tools (easiest with a hydraulic press) Where are you located?

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
so it seems like my starboard engine shaft is loose? What could have caused this and how can I fix it
I recommend pulling the pump and checking the shaft, couple people (including myself) have had shaft failure aft of the impeller. It’s pretty asymptotic until you get a overheat warning. Hopefully it’s not your problem, took almost 4 months for me to get parts this summer.

Bradp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What engine shaft? Is it the shaft that goes from the impeller into the boat? or something you can see inside the engine compartment?

If it's the Pump shaft (I hope so, since it's the easiest to repair) you need to remove the pump from the boat and replace some bearings inside the pump. Not a total piece of cake, but it's easy to do with the right tools (easiest with a hydraulic press) Where are you located?
Im in the New Orleans area

Bradp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is this covered under a warranty. It’s a 2020 model

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Define loose. Can you hear it or see it? Did somebody else diagnose it? Pictures or a short video may help us help you.

Bradp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So when I say loose when I grab the shaft it wiggles

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is this covered under a warranty. It’s a 2020 model

It should be. I believe the 2020s were coming standard with a 3 year warranty, depending on when you bought it you may have gotten a 5 year warranty.

You really have two options, pull the pump and investigate or bring it straight to the dealer, but it shouldn’t wiggle.