• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Losing speed or bogged down with load

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
2018 AR195. 50 hours

I was out yesterday, and it was choppier then normal. I noticed that with a full load (5 adults, 3 kids) the motor seemed to lose speed at times. If I was cruising at say 20mph, when I would go through some chop it would lose speed to maybe 12-15mph and I would need to give it a little more throttle. It didn't seem to do that all the time but several times throughout the day it was very noticeable.

Could this be cavitation or something else I need to look at?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 190 is VERY sensitive to weight in the bow. The more people in the bow, the slower you'll go. On top of that 20mph is just barely above planing speed. You have to actively manage the throttle, even more so when people are in the bow and the thrust is pointed less than ideally (because of craft attitude in the water).

My old Rinker I could "set it and forget it" with the throttles. The dynamics of the jet are much more complicated and require active throttle management as conditions change. Even this weekend with RideSteady (GPS base Cruise Control) engaged; any change to input of the system (loading, turn angle, water conditions, etc) would require some readjustment of throttle position. Just the nature of the beast.

If you were able to add throttle and return to speed without excessive vibration, or "slipping" with added throttle, then nothing is wrong, you just need to get used to the boat.

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
fair enough.. thanks for the input.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
fair enough.. thanks for the input.
Hope I didn't come off as condescending or crappy in that post. I'm rereading it now and I sound a little bit like a dick, my apologies if it came off that way. Wasn't the intention.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One alternative is to set the speed a little higher in those situations so the boat does not sink back out of plane.

Maintaining speed right at minimum plane with changing seas will require some ongoing throttle management. If you watch your speed very carefully you can usually see it dropping from say 19 to 18 to 17 you might not feel it until it hits 16 and the boat is almost off plane, but the speed might be changing well before you notice.

Enjoy the boat! Nothing you indicated suggests a problem to worry about.

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
nope.. I didn't read it that way, all good.

NOTE: I ordered a Lucky13 anyway cause seems like a good mod.

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
One alternative is to set the speed a little higher in those situations so the boat does not sink back out of plane.

Maintaining speed right at minimum plane with changing seas will require some ongoing throttle management. If you watch your speed very carefully you can usually see it dropping from say 19 to 18 to 17 you might not feel it until it hits 16 and the boat is almost off plane, but the speed might be changing well before you notice.

Enjoy the boat! Nothing you indicated suggests a problem to worry about.
Yes, if watching the speedo, this is what is happening. Wife likes right around 20 in the choppy water. Maybe this is a good enough reason to go a little quicker :)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
nope.. I didn't read it that way, all good.

NOTE: I ordered a Lucky13 anyway cause seems like a good mod.
Glad I didn't come off rough. Been working on being concise, and I always feel like I'm being a jerk.

The L13 Cone is a good mod. I have it, and have enjoyed it for several years. Will help with planing and maintaining speed. Especially under heavy loads. Also, seal your intake tunnel. Takes just a few hours and is well worth the effort (arguably more than the L13 cone IMO).

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
OK.. good tip, I will do that at the same time.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I add plaining surfaces to calm down the ride in chop and help the hole shot
. 1654033579272.jpeg

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
ok.. well parts finally came in and I had time to install the L13 cone, seal the intake tunnel area and a few other things. Hope I did it all right, seemed pretty easy. Going out Saturday so will provide feedback.

Attachments

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@platinum00 That tunnel looks pretty smooth. Certainly a better job than I did. Hopefully this helps your conditions a bit.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is this different than what I already have (see pictures above).
well I do have a plaining surface for that system but I noticed you have the actuator set to pull the fins out of the water at speed you will be a lot better off to set the actuator to number5 and 6 not 6 and 7 , 5 and 6give you extra steering on plane and better control plus all the slow speed steering you would ever need. 1657333109337.jpeg

Attachments

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
ok.. I will make that adjustment before going out tomorrow as well.

Any negative effects changing to 5/6? If not, why have 6/7?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
6 and 7 are for people who do not want any steering effect on plane in my opinion that is the least effective setting and I mention that in my instructions only use that if you do not want any other steering than off plane. 4 and 5 for the newer nozzles and 5 and 6 for the earlier nozzles are the most effective and the most fun.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
yes the other setting was no INCORRECT but JUST THE LEAST EFFECTIVE see how you like it now I see you list a 2018 but I do not see a rudder under your nozzle did you remove it, just curious

platinum00

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
holy hell.. good catch. I didn't have it ligned up when I put the pump back on. It was kicked off to the side and I didn't notice. fixed...

That could have been bad im assuming.. thank you !

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other