• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Loss of top end power both engines

nbontempi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I have a 2006 Yamaha AR210. This is my second season with the boat and from what I can tell the boat was very well maintained before me. The other day I was out and suddenly lost power in both engines top end. Both engines top out at 7k RPM and about 15-20mph. I changed the plugs, gapped them correctly and it's the same. My port engine reached 8k RPM but still seemed to be struggling and the starboard engine is still at 7k max. When driving it will sporadicly jump to higher rpms for no more than a second or sound like its getting better then go back to 7k. Oil level is good. air filters are clean. No cavitation from what I can see without removing the pumps. Throttle cables seem to be adjusted properly and working. The owner before me mentioned that the ignition coil wires had issues at one point but that doesn't explain why both engines lost power at the same time. The only thing I can think of is clogged fuel pump filter? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I believe the max rpm on those engines is 7500. Your speed is low. I think I would start looking at the jet pumps. Keep us posted.

nbontempi

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the quick reply! Before this issue started I'm almost positive I was running in the low 8k RPM. My mechanic seems to think it's the wire harness to the fuel injectors... This week I'm going to check fuel for water and any obstructions. If none are found I will have to pull pumps and check for missing silicone etc.. Will keep this updated. Thanks!

adamncincy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think mine goes up to 9000 or 9500.

I installed NGK Iridium spark plugs and ran the air filters to the back, so they're mounted right where the air intake is from the other side of the transom pad. I installed cool air intakes with a waterproof and dustproof bonnet. After we finished at the lake we dropped her back off into the Ohio river where my marina is. It was just me in it on a calm Sunday morning, my SO was driving the SUV back to the marina. I opened her up and hit right around 52-53 MPH! I hit a wake from a passing boat and I'm pretty sure it went completely out of the water. I had to slow down because the landing was pretty jarring. lol ... keep in mind, I don't think I've ever gotten up to that speed before, but I've only had it since March '21.

I also know the speedometer is accurate as I've boated enough using the GPS speedometer app on my phone to compare and it's always in sync.

Now when we have 6-8 people onboard, my RPM's climb to 7-8k, and I top out around 32-35 MPH.

2010 AR210

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hey everyone, new to the forum. I have a 2006 Yamaha AR210. This is my second season with the boat and from what I can tell the boat was very well maintained before me. The other day I was out and suddenly lost power in both engines top end. Both engines top out at 7k RPM and about 15-20mph. I changed the plugs, gapped them correctly and it's the same. My port engine reached 8k RPM but still seemed to be struggling and the starboard engine is still at 7k max. When driving it will sporadicly jump to higher rpms for no more than a second or sound like its getting better then go back to 7k. Oil level is good. air filters are clean. No cavitation from what I can see without removing the pumps. Throttle cables seem to be adjusted properly and working. The owner before me mentioned that the ignition coil wires had issues at one point but that doesn't explain why both engines lost power at the same time. The only thing I can think of is clogged fuel pump filter? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Both engines doing the same thing , probably fuel or a serious exhaust leak inside the engine compartment that will also cut your top speed check all your exhaust clamps if any still exist, they have usually rusted and fallen off by now.

Texatl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I'm having a similar issue. (242 Limited) 2 weeks ago... no problems getting up to 50-ish at max throttle. Usually cruise around 6k which gets me right at 30mph. But this morning, even at max RPM (7,500-ish) I could only get 30mph. Checking about 50 things now... :-o

BGThomas

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2019 AR210 and had similar issues. Ended up being too much oil in the engines. Spec is 3.59 quarts, and just did oil change pumping out about 4.2 quarts. Once re-loaded at proper level, boat is flying once again with no issues.