• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lost an Engine AR210

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My Port engine kept overheating today. Just a little spray coming out of the pee hole. I had to limp back at no wake speed over 3 miles to the boat launch. wasn't pretty. I recovered the boat and parked it for the night. Anyone have any ideas what caused this. I'm going to start poking around in the morning.

txinadv....

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was it happening at no wake speed? Did you look in the cleanout ports? I had this issue last year... Turns out I sucked up water bottle in my jet and it wasnt allowing enough water to cool the engine....

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Poke around. It sounds like something is clogging the water/cooling intake. Start at the jet pump and work from there

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree with the others. Most likely you have something in that jet cussing cavitation. Our boats do not have separate pumps for cooling water. There is a pickup with a strainer near the back of the jet pump. This water circulates through the engine for cooling. Anything that causes cavitation in the jet pump decreases the cooling flow.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
here is a video from our FAQ from Buckbuck explaining how the cooling system works, it's an MR1 engine but it's the same concept,
https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-does-the-water-actually-flow-through-my-yamaha-engine.75/

how long does it take before it over heats? does it overheat at idle or at speed?

Have you ran a piece of weed eater or wire down the pee hole to make sure it's not blocked? you could also disconnect the pee hose at the engine and blow compressed air out of the hole,

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With the boat on the trailer use a strong flashlight and look up inside the intake grate for a plastic bag etc those are real good at choking off the water inlet
Also I hope you shut down that engine on the way back to avoid doing any damage to it, limp mode is NOT safe mode.

Keith Hebert

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tx all. On the trailer i ran the engine for 15min during flushing with no problems. The grates are clear so i'm concerned that it's something i can't see. I had to limp back at no-wake speed on the the other engine. i'm going to install the shut off valves. I kept starting the other engine for a few seconds so not to flood it with water.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you look at the cooling intake screen on the pump exit?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This works for me every time. Even if I don’t see any debris, removing the pump and reinstalling it takes care of the problem for me.