• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low compression 1 cylinder

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take a look at fullboreonline.com

No experience personally but worth a call.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a friend who is a marine mechanic and uses SBT rebuilds whenever an engine needs to be rebuilt. He says it is not cost effective to rebuild then himself and praises their work. I also suspect that the SBT failures we have read about are often due to not fixing the initial problem.

Kathy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Take a look at fullboreonline.com

No experience personally but worth a call.
I've been checking them out. They sound reasonable. I've pulled her out of the water now so it's a step closer to pulling components off to investigate.

Kathy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have a friend who is a marine mechanic and uses SBT rebuilds whenever an engine needs to be rebuilt. He says it is not cost effective to rebuild then himself and praises their work. I also suspect that the SBT failures we have read about are often due to not fixing the initial problem.
Considering full rebuild as a next option if the strip down starts to turn up more. Thank you.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Kathy You may consider looking on your local craigs list for someone that buy as sells used jet ski parts. There is a guy not far from me that I went to when I forgot to order something for a rebuild for one of my seadoos and he had it as he also rebuilt the motors. His yard is more like a jetski and snowmobile graveyard. Perhaps there is something like that near you.

Kathy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@Kathy You may consider looking on your local craigs list for someone that buy as sells used jet ski parts. There is a guy not far from me that I went to when I forgot to order something for a rebuild for one of my seadoos and he had it as he also rebuilt the motors. His yard is more like a jetski and snowmobile graveyard. Perhaps there is something like that near you.
Yeah - I've been searching to see what's out there - the closest what I think might be a good donor is about 4hrs+ away not that I wouldn't go out there, but it would suck to drive out there and find out it's complete garbage. There's a dude that's closer but I seem to see he has lots of SeaDoo not so much Yami stuff. I'm hoping to pull the upper half completely off both motors today and get them both done at the same time. I would love to be able to really use the boat the rest of the summer but I'd rather have a boat to use next summer rather than blow the thing up.
I saw another boat same year up for sale - looks like it has one soon to be dead motor if not already. If he didn't want so much for it I would have already went and grabbed it.
I've got my Kawi stand up - not the same but still fun anyway and my friends SeaDoo wake-ski is parked here too. I think I just got so excited about getting the boat, should have gone through it better before buying it. (hard lesson learned)

Kathy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Cylinders pulled and on their way to FullBore. Here's the piston from #2 - it does look like at some point in it's life before me that it may have been starved..
Next steps:
Clean/Inspect head
Pulling all oil lines next for replacement to both motors
Testing the pump
Rebuild carbs both motors20160727_123242.jpg20160727_123252.jpg20160727_123301.jpg

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep oil starved. Looks like you lucked out with it not seizing. Make sure you get the right rings/pistons to match whatever full bore does. Hopefully the crank/rod bearings are good. looking like you may have this thing back on the water quickly?

Kathy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Yep oil starved. Looks like you lucked out with it not seizing. Make sure you get the right rings/pistons to match whatever full bore does. Hopefully the crank/rod bearings are good. looking like you may have this thing back on the water quickly?
They will do all the work on it and send back with everything to put it back together... $495
The wait will be torture...

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They will do all the work on it and send back with everything to put it back together... $495
This seems like a good deal. I assume it is per engine?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wait will be torture...
That seems like a good price. Hopefully they can turn it around quickly for you.

Kathy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
This seems like a good deal. I assume it is per engine?
Yea - per engine. I only sent one side to them. When I talked to them before I boxed it up - he said it sounded like that cylinder got starved probably due to the notorious hose pop off. He also said if the other engine is sound for now just send the one side. (I thought that was good of them to not push to do both just so they could have work and $$) He did recommend getting all the oil lines re-done, but I was heading that direction already. I'll be keeping an eagle eye on that other motor though once everything gets put back together.
If I were to take it to a local shop I'd be out big $$ - they're about getting the most $$ from you that they can it seems in my opinion.

Do these boats have any kind of an hour meter? I am not seeing one on this boat so I'm guessing it's got 100+ hours on it.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You could always convert to premix and not worry about lines and potential oil pump failure as well. I converted all my jet ski's to premix.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They do not have hour meters. The later 4 stroke engines have an internal hour meter than can be read with a cable and software. The latest boats have hour meters available at the dash.

I switched to tachometers with build in hour meters on my LX210.

Personally I like the oil injection system if for nothing more than reducing the amount of smoke.

Kathy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
You could always convert to premix and not worry about lines and potential oil pump failure as well. I converted all my jet ski's to premix.
I've considered that as well - my ski is premix only - I call it smokey joe.. boat was smoking a bit too, my neighbor doesn't like it but I don't like him so = all is well in the world.. :) I just care if my motor is getting proper lube.
He made some jerk comment when I was pulling out to test the boat shortly before I had to pull the head... SO - I decided it was time to take out the ski and smoke it up just a bit more.
They do not have hour meters. The later 4 stroke engines have an internal hour meter than can be read with a cable and software. The latest boats have hour meters available at the dash.

I switched to tachometers with build in hour meters on my LX210.

Personally I like the oil injection system if for nothing more than reducing the amount of smoke.

Which tach did you switch into? I saw someone went to the Faria ones. I have one dead tach and the other one is iffy at best.. Speedo dead too but the boat is also missing piece in back. I was planning to switch to a different oil that smokes less but costs a whole lot more.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've considered that as well - my ski is premix only - I call it smokey joe.. boat was smoking a bit too, my neighbor doesn't like it but I don't like him so = all is well in the world.. :) I just care if my motor is getting proper lube.
He made some jerk comment when I was pulling out to test the boat shortly before I had to pull the head... SO - I decided it was time to take out the ski and smoke it up just a bit more.

Which tach did you switch into? I saw someone went to the Faria ones. I have one dead tach and the other one is iffy at best.. Speedo dead too but the boat is also missing piece in back. I was planning to switch to a different oil that smokes less but costs a whole lot more.
We all have "that neighbor" LOL. I always ran Maxima Castor 927 for Premix, love the smell, it's like crack to me. I bought it by the 5 Gallon Pail on Amazon, on a busy summer we would damn near use most of it with the jet skis.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Goodness don't know how with all the posting i do i missed this!
It was a little hard to find good parts for me. Lots of junk yard calls and ended up finding nicer stuff.
I would recommend boring over a small bit with the scoring.
The engine is so simple to work on that it's basically fun!
New pistons all the way through with an overbore and a slightly cleaned up head would be awesome.
I had polished the inside of my heads to reduce detonation and then milled it down slightly.
I had also replaced the cranks with hotrods cranks which you can source from island racing but i found some used and in good condition.
All in all i replaced in pieces one and a half motor worth of parts. I DID witness a few things from sbt that i didn't like such as cheap gaskets and washers that were on oem and not on sbt pistons.
If the shop can do it all for that price then you are golden because parts is one of the hardest things.

I had bought the exciter for 2k and put 2k into parts.

Kathy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
We all have "that neighbor" LOL. I always ran Maxima Castor 927 for Premix, love the smell, it's like crack to me. I bought it by the 5 Gallon Pail on Amazon, on a busy summer we would damn near use most of it with the jet skis.
I'm all out right now so that might be worth a shot.. as much as I don't mind smoking the neighbor out - i'm not too keen on when I'm facing it directly after a wipe out