• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low Pressure Compression Test and Leaking Oil

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I took my 05 AR230 to a mechanic after I pulled it out of the water this year and asked them to look the engines over since I hadn't had it done since I bought it. They ran a compression test and reported low pressures on both engines. I had some issues with the oil in the port engine towards the end of the season, it didn't seam like it was holding. I couldn't locate a direct source of the leak so I refilled it once or twice before the season ended. My check engine light would also turn on for the port engine, usually towards the end of my days,

The mechanic said I may be looking at a rebuild, however after navigating the forums, I'm seeing this issue can be common. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm looking for any opinions out there on what might be wrong and what measures I would have to go to to fix these issues. The boat ran fine throughout the summer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/opinions.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What were the individual compression readings and what did the spark plugs look like? Those are the report card of your engine

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What were the individual compression readings and what did the spark plugs look like? Those are the report card of your engine
110/90/90/105 port 115/97/100/90 starboard
I had them replace the spark plugs, not sure if they tested before or after. Didn't get a chance to look at the old plugs.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Those are pretty low but all close together ,80 is the minimum you can have. The oil is probably just being consumed. You could have the engines rebuilt or just continue to use it another season maybe go to a heavier oil. As you said the engines are still running ok.

MLo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those are pretty low but all close together ,80 is the minimum you can have. The oil is probably just being consumed. You could have the engines rebuilt or just continue to use it another season maybe go to a heavier oil. As you said the engines are still running ok.
When I pulled the drain plug, it was clear there was oil present in the water while it was draining. I'm thinking the oil isn't being consumed.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok check the oil filter for leaks or the valve cover gasket, the oil filters rust around the crimp area and do leak I put metal tape over them to protect them from rusting