• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Low profile trailers

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do these exist? Hoa rules largely say no boats in backyard visible over 6' fence. Sx230 seems to be bit over 7' on OEM trailer. Can I buy a new trailer to help with this?

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My AR230 is like 7'4" to the top of the windshield on the factory trailer. The keel is 17" off the ground. You'd need to almost be dragging the boat just 3" off the road to keep it under 6'. Never seen anything that low profile before.

The limiting factors are going to be the axles and tires/fenders. On my factory trailer there really is no room left to go lower since the tires/fenders fit in underneath the hull. I guess one could remove the fenders and go lower but you'd risk making a mess on the hull or getting two close to the leaf spring axle.

One option is switching to an extra overwide trailer so that the wheels are further out and then the hull could sit lower and if you go with torsion axles, then you could go even lower, but I just don't think you're going to get the boat low enough. some part will still be visible. Also, this would be an over 8'6" wide trailer that could possibly require extra permit.

Another crazy alternative is dig out 1-2 feet so that the spot you back into is lower.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Put up an 8' fence.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A friend of mine who has a similar requirement to stay under 6' which is also the height of his privacy fence, basically dug it 2.5' and sloped it off his drive. Then he poured a concrete slab on the slope. It looks no different than a boat launch ramp but it dropped it to right at the fence line. he put a drain in the back with some peapebbles and black pipe going out the side and used Landscaping cement blocks for the sides and back. Worked out perfect. Doesn't hold water.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my MFI trailer, I don’t think you could go much lower at all without hitting the axles with the boat.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Maybe run for HOA President.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A friend of mine who has a similar requirement to stay under 6' which is also the height of his privacy fence, basically dug it 2.5' and sloped it off his drive. Then he poured a concrete slab on the slope. It looks no different than a boat launch ramp but it dropped it to right at the fence line. he put a drain in the back with some peapebbles and black pipe going out the side and used Landscaping cement blocks for the sides and back. Worked out perfect. Doesn't hold water.
That's a lot of work, but pretty dang smart IMO.

Maybe run for HOA President.
Another fine idea. I tried to "break into" the HOA political community at our last condo. I ran and didn't win. Couldn't get enough support from the 80+ crowd when I was only 25. Figures.

Always wondered if something like this could be fabricated to work on a boat trailer. Neat idea if nothing else.

Here's another airbagged trailer. If you have enough cash I'm sure someone could fabricate this for you. Check out your local "hot rod" shops. They'll know someone that can do the engineering, design, and fab.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It wasn't bad the both of us did it in two weekends, one to dig out and form and the next Saturday we had the cement truck show up and we poured and finished it ourselves. Just the two of us, a bobcat for digging, some concrete finishing tools and a lot of beer. The HOA board was unhappy but he followed their regulations.

It seems that HOA's have too much time on their hands.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ive kinda accepted I'm going to have to do a combination approach. Probably plant some palm trees along the fence line to get some extra coverage, digging ou seems unlikely in Florida though. My dad recommended building a berm to raise the fence up, but that might be a bit too conspicuous. The other option could be just dropping a giant shed in the back, I don't think sheds are against the rules.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Honestly I could probably do something like this. I doubt I can go down 2 feet in Florida, but an extra foot, plus a shorter trailer... That might work

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Research some of the tricks folks used here to get their boats inside of a 7' garage door. As those same tricks may get your SX below 6ft.

The primary trick was to put a caster wheel on the tongue and fold up the tongue jack. That drops the windshield quite a bit. But it also puts excessive weight on the front axle. So most use it just enough to get past the header over the garage door and then put it back up on the tongue jack if at all possible. It's a thought.

Good luck!

Skin6061

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you considered moving?

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just spitballing but if you are willing to buy a new trailer maybe invest in some jacks and impact wrench and just remove the tires when storing?

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A drop axle on your trailer would save about 6 inches.

Then, put 6’6” boards on the front of your fence.

These are not expensive projects.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A drop axle on your trailer would save about 6 inches.

Then, put 6’6” boards on the front of your fence.

These are not expensive projects.
I’d go with a 6’ fence with the boards raised 6” or more off the ground. Then pile some much up high under the fence.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Can you plant an evergreen screen along the fence to hide the line of sight? I presume the HOA rules regulate the fence height as well? If the rule prevents visibility of a boat over 6', not the presence of a boat over 6' then I'd focus on preventing visibility ....

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Another fine idea. I tried to "break into" the HOA political community at our last condo. I ran and didn't win. Couldn't get enough support from the 80+ crowd when I was only 25. Figures.
At my mothers condo association (75 units or so) a young guy (about 25) inherited his grandparents condo. He ran for president and won. Apparently the 80+ crowd really like him. He talked the board into creating a maintenance supervisor position that would take care of all the odd jobs on the property instead of hiring out the work. Pay would be close to 100k. Which was about what they were paying out to various contractors annually.

He hired himself for the job. He had zero construction experience. It shows in his work. :facepalm:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If it's just inches over, instead of doing all the work, could you not just ask for an exception? Maybe donate some flowers to a common area as a peace offering.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’d plant some tall evergreens that are taller than the boat and park the boat behind them. The boat is not visible.

cdjeeps25

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Has anyone said anything to you yet? I would just park until someone says anything.