• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Lowrance Elite 5 DSI Problem

Kevin M

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Last year while on Lake Erie in 2 foot chop, my Elite 5 shut off. I powered it back on but after hitting the waves a few more times, off it went. It continued to do this during the next two outings so I sent it back to Lowrance. They sent me another unit but it was late in the season and I never had an opportunity to use it.

Yesterday while out on the lake, same situation. Damn thing went out again. I could not get it to power up at all for the rest of the day. I am running 10 g wire directly from the house battery to the unit. It is grounded with a 10 g wire directly to the battery. It is not blowing a fuse but it seems the impact of the waves are causing it to shut off. Why this is happening is beyond me. All the connections are tight and the fuse has never blown. I put a foam spacer between the mount to "soften the blow" when the boat hits a hard wave but I have to believe that these units have to be made to take some rough water.

Anyone else have issues or opinions on this?

I wonder if it could be caused by a short in your transducer cable ?

Possibly @Bruce , there is no way to isolate that cable because is it all one, power and transducer. I would have to buy another cable (with transducer) and rerun it.

What kind of fuse holder? blade or glass tube?

I have had the glass fuse spring loaded holders give me trouble.

Try smacking the different components around and jiggle wires to see if you can get it to turn off.

Double check all of your connections from the battery to the unit. If you used butt splices anywhere, pull on them to make sure you have a good bite inside.

Back