• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lowrance HDS Live 7 on 2019 SX195

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Just did my wiring this weekend.. the 3rd plug over on the connext screen, that just has a single red and black wires.. I found the red one to be powered only when the key is in the on position. Hooked my switched wire into that and seems to be doing fine
Switch from a t-tap to a military splice. T-Taps work 50% of the time and will start to fail and cause you issues.

xtreme96gs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely don’t plan for it to be permanent, was just all I had on hand at the time and was anxious to make sure it would all work

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I haven't seen much love on here for Lowrance installs. Yes I know they are the same company as Simrad but I've found the latest units from Simrad (go5 and go7) are not nearly as featureful as the HDS live series mostly due to the fact that I think Simrad go units are due for some updates... notably for me to bring the live sonar features to the go units.
That is some quality work there, nice job!

I come from the land where Lowrance has been king for decades. In MN, we have used Lowrance since the "green box" days. That being said, our 242LS has a Simrad installed from the previous owner. Once I realized they were both Navco products, I researched what the difference was.

Simrad is purpose built for everything other than fishing, but can still provide good sonar. Where as Lowrance is purpose build for fishing, but provided decent navigation. And of course both are powered by similar maps, just inland or offshore. Simrad was way more popular offshore, where Lowrance was way more popular inland.

When we got our boat, the Simrad had features not yet seen in the Lowrance line, but have filtered down to it. Where the Lowrance had better sonar/live imaging, which we will never see in Simrad, there just is no demand for it. Simrad was getting Radar control, autopilot options, multi displays etc before Lowrance, if it were to ever get it. The contrast of the two brands is a perfect compliment in the Navco line.

I was almost disowned by my Dad/uncles this winter as I bought a new Garmin UHD 93SV and Livescope instead of the Lowrance live imaging system. For my money, the Garmin was a better buy. Nobody makes junk anymore, so I read reviews and youtube influencers and have loved the unit so far on the ice. I am excited to use it in the boat this summer. But it will never touch my yamaha, as it's just not a good fishing boat for our type of fishing.

And I think that is the deciding factor. If all I wanted was a good map, quick depth and water temp, anything can do that. It would be different if it were easier to get all the NMEA info in our boats. Then it would justify a bigger better unit.