• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LS2000 2001 project restore

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I've been looking for a good deal on a jet boat and I came across a 2001 LS2000 near me that I couldn't pass up.
I bought it knowing the port side engine would not turn over. Otherwise it's in pretty decent shape. The previous owner said it ran last year and when he went to take it out this year he couldn't get the engine to start. He thinks he didn't winterize it properly. He had a brand new ski boat in his driveway so I assume he didn't want to be bothered messing with the old yamaha.

I've checked the compression on the starboard engine and all 3 cylinders are right about 120.
I hooked up the hose to the engine flush and I was able to fire that engine up. The idle seems a little rough, if I increase the throttle it smooths out, but if I increase it too much it dies. So at least it has compression.....

I'm planning on pulling the port engine and tearing into it. Any tips/tricks/gotchas? What should I disassemble in the boat before removing it?
On my old yamaha jetski I basically would pull the exhaust first and then pull the engine out of the hull.

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Pulled the port engine today. Popped the head off and one cylinder is rusted frozen, but they all look ok. Found out it's an SBT engine.
I think I'm just going to go and order a new one from SBT instead of trying to refurb this one.

The water box coupler is full of water. Should that drain or only if the engine runs to blow it out?

Roof Man

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Since you have a similar boat, maybe you can help? ...

Have read about doing the Pre-mix conversion (getting rid of the oil tank and all) ... right now, it "may" be an option, as I found that, looks like the oil reservoir is filled with "4 stroke" Yamalube! (boat has 2 - 2 stroke engines!) Sigh ... another thing to do on my list. Not sure if I'll get it on the water this year ... :((

So I assume that I have to empty that out as much as I can to put the 2 stroke oil in. May think about the conversion now. LOL

ALSO... if anyone can respond, Questions!!!
1) So you can't buy a spark plug wires to replace the old ones, as in auto's!? (I see where I can send the wires/coil covers in to get redone)
2) Are basic "high flow" Fuel Filters ok to use!? I assume a 1/4" line (can't find specs on any of the layouts online of the boat), without paper in them? They go for $2-5each, where-as anything Yamaha branded (even the 3rd party fuel filters) are $25ea+
3) Assume to TRY and use Ethanol free gas, if I can find it. Trailering the boat, and won't be used as often as most do. Will use StaBil
4) Anyone know of a person/place to get "hands on" help!? (Dallas, Tx area) A place close that works on these, says he's booked into January! (wow!)
5) After I moved it, pulled it to a new home on the trailer, had a strong smell of gas, but couldn't find any anywhere... hmmmm
6) Seems all wires are hooked to "one" marine battery, and there's a new smaller one, but not hooked up... a problem!? Can both engines work off of 1 battery or does it need to be wired to 2/both at all times?
7) Have order new spark plugs... IF I get it all started/running, just use them as is for the short time remaining this year? Or go ahead and replace them now and also use them next season?
8) Still need to "change out" the oil lines (if I keep them! lol) There was a place to order a "kit" for this/these wasn't there!? And the gas lines too? (and more!?)
9) Etc etc etc .... sure I'm missing things but ... whew, got myself into a "time machine" for sure!

Thanks for the help and guidance!

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Since you have a similar boat, maybe you can help? ...

Have read about doing the Pre-mix conversion (getting rid of the oil tank and all) ... right now, it "may" be an option, as I found that, looks like the oil reservoir is filled with "4 stroke" Yamalube! (boat has 2 - 2 stroke engines!) Sigh ... another thing to do on my list. Not sure if I'll get it on the water this year ... :((

So I assume that I have to empty that out as much as I can to put the 2 stroke oil in. May think about the conversion now. LOL

ALSO... if anyone can respond, Questions!!!
1) So you can't buy a spark plug wires to replace the old ones, as in auto's!? (I see where I can send the wires/coil covers in to get redone)
2) Are basic "high flow" Fuel Filters ok to use!? I assume a 1/4" line (can't find specs on any of the layouts online of the boat), without paper in them? They go for $2-5each, where-as anything Yamaha branded (even the 3rd party fuel filters) are $25ea+
3) Assume to TRY and use Ethanol free gas, if I can find it. Trailering the boat, and won't be used as often as most do. Will use StaBil
4) Anyone know of a person/place to get "hands on" help!? (Dallas, Tx area) A place close that works on these, says he's booked into January! (wow!)
5) After I moved it, pulled it to a new home on the trailer, had a strong smell of gas, but couldn't find any anywhere... hmmmm
6) Seems all wires are hooked to "one" marine battery, and there's a new smaller one, but not hooked up... a problem!? Can both engines work off of 1 battery or does it need to be wired to 2/both at all times?
7) Have order new spark plugs... IF I get it all started/running, just use them as is for the short time remaining this year? Or go ahead and replace them now and also use them next season?
8) Still need to "change out" the oil lines (if I keep them! lol) There was a place to order a "kit" for this/these wasn't there!? And the gas lines too? (and more!?)
9) Etc etc etc .... sure I'm missing things but ... whew, got myself into a "time machine" for sure!

Thanks for the help and guidance!

I was considering doing premix because I busted my oil pump when I was installing it. I ended up just getting a replacement off ebay for $40. I've read premix is good because you don't have to worry about the oil lines coming off or pump failing, but it's not as good as functioning pump system because the oil provided to the carbs varies with RPM. Right now I'm having trouble getting oil to the carbs on the new engine. I haven't started the engine yet, just bled the system and cranked it over trying to get oil out.

Sorry I can't help with most of your questions, but I'll take a stab
2) I think basic high flow filters are fine.
6) I have one battery. It cranks both engines and runs everything. A second battery is probably for accessories and listening to the radio so you don't end up with a dead engine battery.
7) Plugs are easy to change and cheap. Change them if necessary now and later.
8)Island racing has some kits for oil and gas etc. ISLAND RACING

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I've got my new port engine back in. Just can't get any fuel to either engine. I think it's been sitting too long all the fuel drained back to the tank. Hopefully going to try to prime it somehow.

Also, not sure my new (used) oil pump is working. I tried to purge the air and crank the engine without starting and it doesn't seem to get any oil to the carbs. Any ideas?

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I did figure out the fuel and oil issue.
I thought the tank was full, turns out the gauge was wrong and it was almost empty. So I have to fix the fuel gauge in the spring.

My new used oil pump is working fine. I purged the air again and cranked it more and more, finally oil was flowing to the carbs.

Didn't get a chance to register it due to Covid.
There was a few week waiting period to get an appointment.

So now I'll just be winterizing it and hoping for spring to come quickly.

UnorthodoxCreations

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I did figure out the fuel and oil issue.
I thought the tank was full, turns out the gauge was wrong and it was almost empty. So I have to fix the fuel gauge in the spring.

My new used oil pump is working fine. I purged the air again and cranked it more and more, finally oil was flowing to the carbs.

Didn't get a chance to register it due to Covid.
There was a few week waiting period to get an appointment.

So now I'll just be winterizing it and hoping for spring to come quickly.
It's likely magnets on the fuel sending unit came loose. That was the case with mine. Open the sending unit carefully so you don't potentially lose them, they are small, and you should be able to glue them back in place.

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
So it's been a while since I was able to mess with this boat. I had to fix my truck, but that's another story.
I uncovered it a couple weeks ago and it's been either pouring rain or crazy hot or I've been away. Today I was able to start the starboard engine on the flush hose. It seems to idle ok at times and other times it stalls out. I can only get the port engine (new one) started with a squirt of starter fluid, then it dies. I'm thinking my carbs are gunked up and need to be cleaned/rebuilt. Any other thoughts? Should I rebuild all 6 carbs? I've never done a carb rebuild before.

I'm very frustrated at the timing of everything seeing as how now if I get the carbs rebuild or rebuild them myself, I'll probably have little time to use it before the end of the season.

hatrik8

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Sent out the carbs to be rebuilt. There was nobody local to me that would work on them. Found out they were in terrible shape and they are already on the way back to me…. All freshly rebuilt. Hope to get this on the water soon