• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

LX210 Port Engine Starting Problem

sclx210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I have 2003 LX210. I ran into issue with port engine not cranking. When I turned on the key, I hear a click sound from the starter and then nothing. Could this be issue with the starter motor? The port engine was running fine back in Nov to winterize it and have not use it since. Last weekend July 4th was my first time started the port engine and faced this problem. It couldn't be engine seize before it was running on the lift back in Nov, right or could it? The starboard engine started fine. I appreciate for any guide to trace down the problem. Thanks

mss135

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would take a booster or jumper cables from the battery. Connect the ground to the starter body and touch the positive to the pole on the starter with the red 10 gauge wire. This will by pass every thing but the starter. I would remove the kill tether so it does not fire. If it cranks, it is likely that the starter is ok and the engine is not seized. From there you will need to check ignition switch, kill switches including the neutral switch and transom switches. Next would be to test the starter relay (although that may be what is clicking).

sclx210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I would take a booster or jumper cables from the battery. Connect the ground to the starter body and touch the positive to the pole on the starter with the red 10 gauge wire. This will by pass every thing but the starter. I would remove the kill tether so it does not fire. If it cranks, it is likely that the starter is ok and the engine is not seized. From there you will need to check ignition switch, kill switches including the neutral switch and transom switches. Next would be to test the starter relay (although that may be what is clicking).
Looks like the starter in under the exhaust manifold. That means that I would need to remove the exhaust manifold to be able to access the starter terminal, correct? Thanks

mss135

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
No. If you feel under the exhaust manifold, you should feel the starter and the cable that goes to it. It has a boot over the pole. Pull the boot up and you should be able to put a jumper cable on the post. Don't let the positive cable touch anything else or it will arch. You can place the ground anywhere on the solid part of the motor.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you check the rear clean out plug tray, safety switches? I wouldn't expect you to hear a click at all but I would still try holding them down and giving it a shot. Your impeller housing may also have swelled over the winter which is a common issue and it can bind up the impeller from turning. You can check this by removing the spark plugs and then trying to hand turn the drive shaft at the rubber/plastic coupling on the rear of the engine helm. If it is binding, you will need to install a new impeller housing. I had to do this with my 2001 LS2000

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The pump is locked up from sitting the liner swells and locks the impeller, happens the worst after sitting for a long time. pull the pump and see if the engine runs.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The pump is locked up from sitting the liner swells and locks the impeller, happens the worst after sitting for a long time. pull the pump and see if the engine runs.
Right on. @sclx210 - when I replaced mine I went with the housings that used a replaceable plastic liner. I did replace the liner once in my time with the boat (5 years?)

sclx210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Right on. @sclx210 - when I replaced mine I went with the housings that used a replaceable plastic liner. I did replace the liner once in my time with the boat (5 years?)
@4x15mph - I removed the electrical unit, disconnect the starter motor from the relay and connected via jumper cable to positive battery. Still same problem, I heard a click but nothing moved. I removed the plastic cover,, removed all the spark plugs and I couldn't turn the engine. From your other posts, I think impeller is locked. Is it difficult to replace the liner?

mss135

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The actual work is not difficult. Removing the pump and depending on how many bolts break in the process, that is the difficulty. Getting the parts to separate and getting the drive shaft out of the intermediate shaft can be difficult. The pump needs to be resealed when it goes back together but it is easy.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@4x15mph - I removed the electrical unit, disconnect the starter motor from the relay and connected via jumper cable to positive battery. Still same problem, I heard a click but nothing moved. I removed the plastic cover,, removed all the spark plugs and I couldn't turn the engine. From your other posts, I think impeller is locked. Is it difficult to replace the liner?
Thats good to know then and I expect it is the swollen pump housing. The problem these days is getting parts for anything! The pump housing replacement isn't too difficult and it is a good "exercise" since you want to be able to remove the pump in case you get anything stuck in the impellers. You might be able to get a replacement housing from SBT with the replaceable liners since they stock and make many aftermarket parts. I used theirs and was happy with it....

I would try not to remove/replace the impeller at this point until you have a new one in your hand. They can also be difficult to remove from the drive shaft and when I did this job, on one side I had to end up buying a new drive shaft ($$) and that was with a service place doing the work. First and last time I let anyone touch the boat

sclx210

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
@4x15mph - I removed the pump housing last week and you guys were correct. The impeller housing had swelled, see picture below. I went with the plastic liner housing as suggested here, replaced it and the engine started right up. I appreciated everyone here with the help and guidance. Just a cost of IMG_2963.jpgIMG_2945.jpgnew housing and now the boat is back in the water again.