• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Maintenance questions

colt45

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay guys, I have an 07 sx230 with around 300 hours on it. Last summer I hooked it up to my software and had 270 so I'm sure I'm over 300 by now. (We enjoy our boat all we can). So I have heard that there is a wear ring that needs to be replaced at some point. Is this true? What other maintenance should I be thinking about on my aging boat. By the way my boat is running like a top at 300 hours. :)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
do you have an owner's manual? in it they list suggested items and schedule,
the main thing I remember is the valve gap measurement,

If it's running fine I wouldn't mess with anything except oil and spark plugs, you can look at things like your impellers and wear rings but unless they are out of spec. I wouldn't voluntarily replace them. If I was proactive which my boat is 07 and my impellers probably need to be repaired I will probably be doing the bearings also,

I might check the thermostat to see how it looks especially if you've seen any salt water,

Have you confirmed your bilge pump is working?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2015-7-16_13-52-56.png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
upload_2015-7-16_13-55-29.png

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe the wear ring is a sea doo part only. It's the PLASTIC housing for the impeller that wears down over time or just breaks apart when you suck in a rock.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Our boats don't have sacrificial wear rings like some other jet boats and pwcs do. It's a plastic or stainless steel cylinder that is open on both ends and fits between the pump housing and impeller. On my older pwcs (seadoo and I think even Yamaha) they cost around $50 and needed to be replaced when the interior wall is damaged or worn to the point that it caused cavitation / acceleration performance problems (so not very often). Some people put them in to try and improve performance by reducing the clearance between the impeller blades and interior wall of the wear ring (not me) making the gap smaller than stock. I usually replaced mine whenever I replaced or refurbed an impleller since the pump would already be apart.

Anyway, if you wanted to replace the "wear ring" / pump housing on our boats it would cost close to $250 per side for the part alone. It part number 3 in this pic.
image.jpg

Another alternative is to buy aftermarket wear rings, I'm not sure what they cost but it has to be cheaper than getting new pump housings. My recommendation is to get the impellers serviced (if they need it) at impros or a place like it in the off season. For under $200 including shipping your impellers will be like new. If the gap to the pump is still too big (it shouldn't be if your boat is running great now) and causing performance problems consider adding aftermarket wear rings.

Here are some images of various wear rings.

image.jpg
Overall , im of the opinion that it it's not broken it shouldn't be fixed.