• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Has anyone honed out their impeller housing to use plastic wear rings?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The replacement housings sell for around $165 each ($200 with the plastic wear ring). I wonder if it would be possible to hone out the factory wear housings to slip the plastic wear ring in?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I read on green hulk that those plastic wear rings are a PIA and have to be replaced much more frequently. I wonder if the break even between ss and plastic would save you anything.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I went to the plastic wear rings in the previous SX230. The true benefit is that it is much more affordable to replace the wear rings "collar inserts" and thus, if you have any thought of a wear ring issue, you could spend $35/piece and eliminate that concern. However, I never had to replace the collar as they are still good for the new owners. The nice thing also about the inserts is they have a little less clearance and the impeller etches our just what it needs and therefore maintains a very small clearance and thus the pump is more efficient.

I also gained an additional benefit that I was not expecting - reduced clanging sound at Idle. The engine/impeller combination sounds so much smoother with the plastic inserts. As much as I want to say the clanging sound was not the impeller hitting the housing, I have to believe it does because the noise is gone.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went to the plastic wear rings in the previous SX230. The true benefit is that it is much more affordable to replace the wear rings "collar inserts" and thus, if you have any thought of a wear ring issue, you could spend $35/piece and eliminate that concern. However, I never had to replace the collar as they are still good for the new owners. The nice thing also about the inserts is they have a little less clearance and the impeller etches our just what it needs and therefore maintains a very small clearance and thus the pump is more efficient.

I also gained an additional benefit that I was not expecting - reduced clanging sound at Idle. The engine/impeller combination sounds so much smoother with the plastic inserts. As much as I want to say the clanging sound was not the impeller hitting the housing, I have to believe it does because the noise is gone.
I read your Quote with interest, I'm considering going over to plastic inserts and wondered if you changed the housing and if not what was the procedure you used, Obviously the original stainless wearings need to be removed before the plastic inserts can be fitted, You seem happy with the results you achieved and I'm interested in the way you went about it.

Ron@Scarab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Any dealer can sell you the WSM replacement impeller housing. It's the whole unit complete. No pressing required.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I read your Quote with interest, I'm considering going over to plastic inserts and wondered if you changed the housing and if not what was the procedure you used, Obviously the original stainless wearings need to be removed before the plastic inserts can be fitted, You seem happy with the results you achieved and I'm interested in the way you went about it.
I bought new housings that were designed to take the inserts and they already had a pair in when they arrived so I never had to assemble. However, it is not hard. You freeze the inserts and the shrink enough to make pressing them into place easy.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper
Search for precision marine. About $100 for houseing and ring, I think. I installed one last fall, worked well, but have not done a lot of testing with it yet.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper, these are the Precision Marine pump housings for $85 each http://www.precisionmarinetools.com/yamaha-waverunner-pwc-replacement-jet-pump-housing-p-1.html

I assume your shippping will be painful.

I would think that you could use 6" schedule 40 or DVW (drain) PVC pipe as a starting point to build your own. The factory housings would need be bored out to fit the pipe snugly. The pipe would need to be bored out slightly to fit over the impeller. I would heat the housing and freeze the pipe then press them in.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Any dealer can sell you the WSM replacement impeller housing. It's the whole unit complete. No pressing required.
@Geoff Cooper
Search for precision marine. About $100 for houseing and ring, I think. I installed one last fall, worked well, but have not done a lot of testing with it yet.
Thanks for that it's something I'm considering for the near future as last time i pulled my pumps out i noticed some marks on the wear ring and i'm getting a slight rattle when idling, I feel sure that these inserts can be fitted without buying the whole housing, I need to look further as the stainless wear rings went in so no reason why they cant be taken out and replaced, The housing internal diameter excluding the stainless wear ring must be the same on the replacement housing as the original.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper, these are the Precision Marine pump housings for $85 each http://www.precisionmarinetools.com/yamaha-waverunner-pwc-replacement-jet-pump-housing-p-1.html

I would think that you could use 6" schedule 40 or DVW (drain) PVC pipe as a starting point to build your own. The factory housings would need be bored out to fit the pipe snugly. The pipe would need to be bored out slightly to fit over the impeller. I would heat the housing and freeze the pipe then press them in.
Yes worth thinking about, I was just going to get a replacement insert and have a play but that's another option.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We only have one Yamaha dealer or franchise in the whole of Thailand and there about as useful as a one legged man in an arse kicking competition, There are very few independent stores and anything other than run of the mill parts have to be ordered at megabuck delivery charges.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I replace all my pump sections with nylon lined housings equipped with the replaceable liners , I purchase them locally here in Florida from S B T . I know I am old and don't drive the skies very hard , ok with That B/S being said I have yet to experience any issues with the nylon liners. And I like the fact that they won't swell from use in salt water. Plus I don't have to listen to the pump ringing when I run the engines on the trailer.

Just a thought on a project someone may want to try, buy a liner from s b t and then have the liner removed and the original housing cleaned to accept that liner since it is already made for the impeller and it is not very thick so my guess is that once the stainless liner is removed and the housing cleaned up I doubt it would take very much machining to fit the liner snugly in the housing.
The reason I suggest S B T is the wear rings were not all that thick therefore fitting one to a regular housing would be easier. Once the original ring is removed and the corrosion is removed the machining would be minimal.

Last edited:

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replace all my pump sections with nylon lined housings equipped with the replaceable liners , I purchase them locally here in Florida from S B T . I know I am old and don't drive the skies very hard , ok with That B/S being said I have yet to experience any issues with the nylon liners. And I like the fact that they won't swell from use in salt water. Plus I don't have to listen to the pump ringing when I run the engines on the trailer.

Just a thought on a project someone may want to try, buy a liner from s b t and then have the liner removed and the original housing cleaned to accept that liner since it is already made for the impeller and it is not very thick so my guess is that once the stainless liner is removed and the housing cleaned up I doubt it would take very much machining to fit the liner snugly in the housing.
The reason I suggest S B T is the wear rings were not all that thick therefore fitting one to a regular housing would be easier. Once the original ring is removed and the corrosion is removed the machining would be minimal.
Yes that's what i have suggested i will try.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Bruce i managed to track him down it took me a few hours but his Ebay link is YAMAHA VX110 REPLACEMENT WEAR RING HAUSING WAVERUNNER 66V-51312-00-94 LINER and his email is carlwayneking@yahoo.com He does many inserts so may be useful to other members.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bruce i managed to track him down it took me a few hours but his Ebay link is YAMAHA VX110 REPLACEMENT WEAR RING HAUSING WAVERUNNER 66V-51312-00-94 LINER and his email is carlwayneking@yahoo.com He does many inserts so may be useful to other members.
Just to give you an update! I got a good deal from Carl i ordered 2 impeller housings with inserts and 1 spare insert and he charged me $200 including shipping to Utah, I paid with Paypal and he shipped within 10 minutes of payment notification with tracking number, He also said he would give a refund if there was any problem, Comms were excellent with fast replies once i had contacted his email, Cant get better than that top man.

Rickala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to give you an update! I got a good deal from Carl i ordered 2 impeller housings with inserts and 1 spare insert and he charged me $200 including shipping to Utah, I paid with Paypal and he shipped within 10 minutes of payment notification with tracking number, He also said he would give a refund if there was any problem, Comms were excellent with fast replies once i had contacted his email, Cant get better than that top man.
How did these work out for you?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use the plastic liners on my skies but @Tom V quickly warned me about using them in boats, I keep a few spares around and I put a ton of hours on them with good results and no damn pump ringing on the trailer running the engine, I was also told that you can reverse them if one end gets worn you can turn them around and use the liner a second time, BUT I have never tried it although I think it would work.

Rickala

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat has never done 50 MPH,and I am looking for reasons why..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
are you g p s ing it some of the older paddle wheels are way off what are you hitting for a top end and what mods do you have