• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Marine wiring 101 please

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello good people. I just ordered a NOCO genius and I plan to do the switch mod with the ground wire from the DVSR to the battery. This got me thinking. I know nothing about wiring in a boat. At home I would just use twist nuts and electrical tape to connect two wires. Something tells me it is different on a boat.

Picture added below just for the heck of it.

IMG_20190615_160334.jpg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice picture!

Your question is a loaded one!! There will be many opinions on how to BEST do it. Some will tell you nothing like soldering followed by heat shrink tubing. I like crimp connectors that can be later disconnected for ease of maintenance, unless it's a permanent install/splice and for that I have found some nice crimp + heat shrink connectors all in one that I have liked quite a bit, found them on Amazon. I have a very beefy crimper that has not failed me yet. You can also consider specialty connectors and even connection buses for some needs.

The challenge is the durability of the connection.. Think of your boat riding on the freeway at 70 MPH on the trailer, hitting a pot hole, or on those bad train tracks, on that spring leaf suspension, or hitting a 6 ft wake wave from a 45ft boat just getting on plane...anything not very well attached together will fall off/disconnect/self destruct.

Such is the challenge.

My faves...
200pcs Heat Shrink Wire Connectors Waterproof Electrical Terminals Kit Insulated Butt Splices Marine Automotive Terminals Set, 10-22 AWG Wire Butt Connectors Kit (3 Colors / 3 Sizes): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EE3TN0Q/

Crimping tool like this
https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-909-Crimping-Tool-Cutter/dp/B00004SBDI/
But mine was less high end.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
oh. I like the crimper route. thanks.

sfadchi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the soldier butt connectors. I use them on my boat and my Raptor. I go as far as to put additional heat black shrink over them.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
oh. I like the crimper route. thanks.
I used to be a wire nut guy but have switched to crimping (permanent type) everything. They're quick and easy.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Beachbummer nailed it on the head just used a bunch of those . I was using a small butane torch on the heat shrink and when that stuff shrinks it bonds to the wire

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hello good people. I just ordered a NOCO genius and I plan to do the switch mod with the ground wire from the DVSR to the battery. This got me thinking. I know nothing about wiring in a boat. At home I would just use twist nuts and electrical tape to connect two wires. Something tells me it is different on a boat.

Picture added below just for the heck of it.

View attachment 97095
The type of wire is also very important. No wire nuts and solid wire like at home. Stranded marine grade (tinned) wire is used on boats to prevent corrosion/oxidation of the conductors exposed to many elements in the environment on the water, salt or fresh.

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im a big fan of the butt connectors that have the glue/heatshrink built into them.