• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Massachusetts and Brackish Wet Slip Question!

Jtlacrozmaster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Hello JB!

First time boater here and set to take delivery of my 195S in April. I’m from the Boston area and was hoping that some of you could provide some suggestions about the best places for me to take my new boat? I’m thinking about Lake Quinsigamond, Merrimack River and maybe even a few trips up to Winnisquam and Winnipesaukee. Any other good spots? I’ve heard that Webster lake is pretty nice as well but $40 to launch seems a little steep. I’ve also heard it’s a completely ‘dry’ lake?

My close friend wet-slips his jet boat on the Merrimack and has really convinced me it’s an amazing way to enjoy the boat. Not having to constantly trailer it and launch seems super appealing. However, I’m a little worried about corrosion as the Merrimack is brackish water. Do any of you wet slip in brackish? Is it something I could get away with?

Eager to hear everyone’s thoughts! Thanks in advance for your input 👍

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
So jetboats are no different that say a mercruiser stern drive. All aluminum with some stainless hardware and shafts. Assuming you maintain your zincs there wont be anymore corrosion on a jet pump than a sterndrive. The one difference though is you have a stainless pump liner in an aluminum housing. This is just the section of the pump where the impeller sits. The gap between the impeller and liner is fairly precision. In salt you can get corrosion buildup between the liner and housing causing the liner to eventually rub the impeller. Really though, lets say if you wetslip the boat in full salt and you get 4 years out of compared to 8.....its not an expensive part. Last time i checked around 200 bucks and it can be changed in 10 minutes so imo..who cares. Wet Slip the boat and change the thing when it starts rubbing. If your in brackish i really would be even less worried but there are many different levels of brackish. As far as the engine is concerned, i would install a tow valve so you can flush the engine after each use. Thats just good practice no matter what.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, another thing to watch for are steering and throttle/reverse bucket linkages.
But, still totally worth it.
I would just pull out every few weeks to clean and grease on the trailer.

That area is AMAZING, and you boat is ideal there with super shallow draft. I used to boat there in early 90s, renting a small aluminum boat from a guy on weekends, we used to go all around Plum Island and Crane's beach - amazing.
But, that was before GPS, and not without peril. Depending on how adventurous you are, it is not difficult to get grounded/stuck in a salt marsh out there, at outgoing or low tide. Don't ask how I know, lol.
(truth be told, I wasn't just adventurous; I was stupid, lol)

Please post pics!!!

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does your friend have an anti-fouling bottom paint on his boats hull?

Jtlacrozmaster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
So jetboats are no different that say a mercruiser stern drive. All aluminum with some stainless hardware and shafts. Assuming you maintain your zincs there wont be anymore corrosion on a jet pump than a sterndrive. The one difference though is you have a stainless pump liner in an aluminum housing. This is just the section of the pump where the impeller sits. The gap between the impeller and liner is fairly precision. In salt you can get corrosion buildup between the liner and housing causing the liner to eventually rub the impeller. Really though, lets say if you wetslip the boat in full salt and you get 4 years out of compared to 8.....its not an expensive part. Last time i checked around 200 bucks and it can be changed in 10 minutes so imo..who cares. Wet Slip the boat and change the thing when it starts rubbing. If your in brackish i really would be even less worried but there are many different levels of brackish. As far as the engine is concerned, i would install a tow valve so you can flush the engine after each use. Thats just good practice no matter what.
Thank you for all of the information and advice! Some of what you have explained is a little technical for me, but it gives me a great start to learn more about the inner workings of the boat. Sounds like overall better to be cautious but enjoy it and have fun and not worry too much about the potential damage caused by brackish water. The pump liner seems relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. Again, really appreciate your input!

Jtlacrozmaster

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Well, another thing to watch for are steering and throttle/reverse bucket linkages.
But, still totally worth it.
I would just pull out every few weeks to clean and grease on the trailer.

That area is AMAZING, and you boat is ideal there with super shallow draft. I used to boat there in early 90s, renting a small aluminum boat from a guy on weekends, we used to go all around Plum Island and Crane's beach - amazing.
But, that was before GPS, and not without peril. Depending on how adventurous you are, it is not difficult to get grounded/stuck in a salt marsh out there, at outgoing or low tide. Don't ask how I know, lol.
(truth be told, I wasn't just adventurous; I was stupid, lol)

Please post pics!!!

--
Thanks for the great info!!! I’ll keep that in mind regarding the throttle steering and reverse bucket linkages. You’ve really encouraged me to check out the area around Plum Island. It’s only about a 30 minute drive from where I live which is very convenient. I’ll be sure to post some pictures once I get her on the water!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the great info!!! I’ll keep that in mind regarding the throttle steering and reverse bucket linkages. You’ve really encouraged me to check out the area around Plum Island. It’s only about a 30 minute drive from where I live which is very convenient. I’ll be sure to post some pictures once I get her on the water!
Boating in NJ now, I can't really complain but I still envy you!
The Merrimack is probably one of the most beautiful and pristine places to boat I know of; combine that with being able to make a short stop at Woodman's in Essex on your way back from riding in those salt marshes... it's heaven.

We used to walk the Crane's beach in the winter, no crowds just some horse riders around, it's amazing.

--