• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Max Capacity

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just wondering what your biggest load of people or weight you've had on your 190/192?

This weekend I'm camping on a lake with 6 adults (myself included) and two kids (2.5 y.o. and 1 y.o.). Average adult weight 200lbs. I'm wondering how it'll do if all of us on are on it at the same time?

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yeah 8 people or 1260lbs is what the rating is. I'm just wondering who's pushed the limit? And how their boat did with a large crew?
I see people saying all the time they add 100s of pounds of ballast over the limit for better wake

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah 8 people or 1260lbs is what the rating is. I'm just wondering who's pushed the limit? And how their boat did with a large crew?
I see people saying all the time they add 100s of pounds of ballast over the limit for better wake
When I add ballast (liquid or human) it affect the performance. We add about 2100lbs of liquid ballast when we surf and the boat goes from doing 30+ mph at 7500 rpm to doing 11 mph at 7500 rpms.

Port0222

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don't forget gear in your capacity equation -- Assuming coolers, and clothese, etc... That stuff adds up quickly

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find the biggest enemy / restriction with load is cavitation.

With well tuned / well maintained pump and OEM impeller you can get up on plane and go over 35mph with 1,800+ lbs of ballast. That is for a single 1.8 n/a engine boat (190s).

__

Last edited:

RiverRat

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I've been able to get on plane with 3 dudes about 200 lbs a piece, 100 lbs of beer, and 900 pounds of ballast filled. Most adults I've had on board has been 7, but not trying for speed that time as we were cruising the river system downtown Milwaukee.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My limit...
6 adults (200 lb average)
1 child
100 lbs of gear
I wouldn't want to add anymore than that. The boat got up on plane and cruised fine but she definitely lost her spunk

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We recently had 11 humans on the 190. 3 Dads, 3 Moms, an 11,8,7,6,5. All the guys were right around 200lbs, the ladies probably combined at 360lbs, the kids i figure for another 290. 2 full coolers 80lbs, full tank of gas and we still planed up and skipped across the lake at a Yamaha reported 42mph. I was as surprised as anyone!

Ive also run with "larger adults" stuck in the back of the boat and we were perfectly fine. The wake looked incredible at 11mph!

Here's my disclaimer:
We don't normally run like this, but it was a 4 mile straight shot in clean flat water to a beach for the day.

Last edited:

Joe Hellaby

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That's awesome. Thanks for the feedback. I was really hoping someone would have a crazy story of the time they had a dozen adults of something like that :):):)

I can't wait for this weekend. My weather forecast for Saturday is 93 degrees and sunny. Which is really really warm for the norm in my area. Time to try out the tube for the first time

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We once had 9 men on mine. Two were ~300 lbs. By my estimate we had over 2100 lbs of humans. Likely a few hundred pounds of cooler, beer, equipment, etc. We stopped and filled the gas tank up, and could no longer get on plane. She was HEAVY. We regularly run 8 adults no problem, we just had some big people on board that day. :D

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I found this thread because I may have 9 on mine this weekend. Luckily, all but two of us are below average sized. My older son and I are both 6' 200lb but maybe 2 of the others break 100lbs. We're probably looking at around 1200lbs total, if that.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I found this thread because I may have 9 on mine this weekend. Luckily, all but two of us are below average sized. My older son and I are both 6' 200lb but maybe 2 of the others break 100lbs. We're probably looking at around 1200lbs total, if that.
If you don't want a LEO to look at your Coast Guard plate, at least have enough life jackets for all nine. I have never had a need to carry more life jackets than the legal limit of my boat, but they may not check your plate if you at least have enough on board.

I can't remember the last time a sheriff actually looked for my coast guard plate. But a low rolling runabout may draw some attention.

Good luck

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've had 4 adults and 4 kids as a full load before. I've also had 7 adults on board, and you better be really good friends, or plan on spending most of your time on shore/beach/water.

Considered taking 4 adults and 5 kids a few times, but have been nervous to overload the boat and get a ticket, or worse yet hurt someone.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I’d be more concerned with getting a ticket. My pump sucked up a rope once and the lake Leo came out to tow my boat to the ramp. He pointed out I was over capacity as soon as he was in ear shot but he didn’t give me a ticket. I assume if I didn’t have a life vest for everyone on board it would have been a different story.

I am surprised no one has reported killing Their engine(s) after running with a full crew plus several hundred or thousands Of pounds of ballast.

Southernerd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you don't want a LEO to look at your Coast Guard plate, at least have enough life jackets for all nine. I have never had a need to carry more life jackets than the legal limit of my boat, but they may not check your plate if you at least have enough on board.

I can't remember the last time a sheriff actually looked for my coast guard plate. But a low rolling runabout may draw some attention.

Good luck
Thanks. We never know how many kids v adults we will have so I've always keep about 10 jackets on the boat. We've got a bunch extra, too, at our place.

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I maxed out an 8 once, kids and adults. That was not a fun ride...just not enough real estate on a 19, even a Yammie.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I maxed out an 8 once, kids and adults. That was not a fun ride...just not enough real estate on a 19, even a Yammie.
Exactly, too damn cramped. Never again, but my 195 would still do 40mph with 6 adults and 2 kids

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Exactly, too damn cramped. Never again, but my 195 would still do 40mpg with 6 adults and 2 kids
I think that had to have been the goal at Yamaha when they designed each boat in size. Let's not make a stupid fast boat, but let's design boats that cruise at a nice speed when fully loaded. That way the owner will never be disappointed.

None of our boats are speed demons. But so many ask why a twin engine is not faster. Well it's pushing more weight and the pump is sized to push it's noted capacity at a fair speed. Nope, our 242 won't do 60mph. But a nice 40mph with a full load of 10 is very doable. I'm good with that. I'm glad to hear the 195's perform like above with a full load as well.