• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Medallion or NO Medallion?

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Thoughts on the Medallion screens, I know they had some growing pains but I am looking at a new 2019 2430.... Would I be better without one?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I know they're at Medallion 2. That's what I have and it works well.

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
What year is you boat?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
On my 2015 the original one got water bubbles in the screen and was changed to a viper2 model under warranty. Now 1.5 yrs with viper 2 and warranty over some features of the screen will not respond to touch. And the screen jumps on its own to the fuel display while driving randomly. Great when it works. Pain when doesn’t. After all this I’d say get medallion

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
All good information....

Info know the Medallions are not specific to only BRP powered boats, just don't want a buggy one!

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Our boat does not have the Medallion (2015 vortex), so I cannot comment on the advantages or reliability, just can comment on one without. Perhaps we are not spoiled, but we can still get all the necessary basic info, control settings, etc. Meets our needs while cruising and water sports. More importantly, we have had no issues. Hoping there are many that do not and have not had issues with their Medallions, but there have been several posts over the years with issues, but hopefully the newer models / versions are more reliable. Good luck with your decision either way, just wanted to give you a perspective without one.

CynMarks203

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
can u add a medallion to a 203 that doesn't if so how much are they. are they easy to install

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I find it hard to believe you can add it for any reasonable cost.

geierb387

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Well I ended up with the Medallion. I have only used it about t minutes but I think I'm going to be very happy with it. Straight forward and seems very useful.

Compatico

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well I ended up with the Medallion. I have only used it about t minutes but I think I'm going to be very happy with it. Straight forward and seems very useful.
Yup, if I was getting a Vortex, the Medallion screen would be a must have in my opinion, for boat functions as well as mapping. I understand you can update the Maps software on the SD card online or via the dealer to get better map features for your specific boating areas. And all of the other functions on a nice sized screen is very convenient.
:winkingthumbsup"

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yup, if I was getting a Vortex, the Medallion screen would be a must have in my opinion, for boat functions as well as mapping. I understand you can update the Maps software on the SD card online or via the dealer to get better map features for your specific boating areas. And all of the other functions on a nice sized screen is very convenient.
:winkingthumbsup"
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the screen is ok. Not really anything to get excited about. If it were to actually use the entire screen that might be acceptable but it doesn't. I updated it thru Navionics onto an SD card which was nice but end up buying a Garmin with a 7" screen. IMO way better. This way I can use the GPS and be able to use the Medallion for other functions. My $.02

At the Sand Bar Again

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
On my 2015 the original one got water bubbles in the screen and was changed to a viper2 model under warranty. Now 1.5 yrs with viper 2 and warranty over some features of the screen will not respond to touch. And the screen jumps on its own to the fuel display while driving randomly. Great when it works. Pain when doesn’t. After all this I’d say get medallion
Bob.
I am also starting to get bubbles in my screen now. Mine is a 2016, (sixth the year on water) so it likely is no longer under warranty unless there is something longer on the screen. I had my screen replaced I think in 17 for another issue, so technically the screen is less than five years however the boat isn’t, so it probably will carry under the five-year boat warranty.
If it isn’t under warranty, it is not bad enough for me to pursue a replacement at this time. So far all functionality is normal and bubbles are around edges.
Did you have to take it back to the dealer or did they send you a replacement, and change it yourself, then return the bad one. My original purchasing dealer is no longer a Vortex representative. They probably will take care of warranty work, but if makes it a pain.
Thanks Much.
Tom.

Attachments

Chapvrx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I would stay away from the medallion viper 2. Mine started delimitation in less than a year of owning.
Do you have any other issues with the screen?
I have same issue for over two years with my screen it works great it just looks ugly but it works

Shawn Weatherly

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yes, sometimes can’t change modes going from music to engine page. I

joegreen1999

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I had the first one replaced under warranty because it bubbled around the edges (still worked thought), second one is now bubbling the same way. I like the control features and interfaces but I'm concerned that at some point its going to stop working.

Cliff2

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Other
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
i'm the poor idiot who works on these things for a living.
over the life of your boat, its unlikely you will have issues with old style guages and rocker switches. if you do, parts will be $250 max.

medallion, you will have a problem at some point, and it will likely cost you thousands. just in parts.

its a great system, but just not as reliable or cheaply repaired.