• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mega mabel hd question

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
First time pulling the kids behind our 16 242lse. Kids are 11 and 6, had 3 adults in the boat. I had a tough time slinging then outside of the wake. Had anyone else really into this? I tried the low tow point but the rope kept getting caught in the wake. The upper worked better. I also tried one of those balls but that seemed to keep them between the wake more as well. I have pulled plenty to tubers and have never had a problem getting food out of the wake in other boats. My buddy has the mable, and slings riders pretty good. Any tips or tricks

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the Super Mabel HD that sits 3. It is a lot bigger than I hoped for, no were to put the damn thing when deflated, since I must now carry 3 different inflatables, a Wakeboard, and a Zup Board which should arrive today. I don't have a problem swinging them across the wake, it is just by feel. Now granted I don't go all crazy with them like I have seen some on the lake I switched to the tower. I also had the same experience as you with the ball, wish I didn't spend the money it on it. I guess when I went to the tower with the 60' of rope it pulled them in closer to the jet wash. I may go get a couple of sections or so to lengthen it out a bit within safe limits.

I basically get them on the outside of the wake and then when I "feel" and see them starting coming back, you can feel the pull on the boat and I start my "S" in the other direction, but not to sharply since you want to maintain tension on the rope. Was going around 18-20 and they were having a great time going back and forth.

I will digress to the more avid members here who are tube towing pros.

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
After I deflated it i was able to get it back in the ski locker and push it forward, It is the only thing i have in there right now though. I ended up using my 3 man tube rope and added a section from the ball which ended up being the perfect length. I don't know what the acutal length is though. I guess i need more practice with tubes and a jet.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My ski locker is full of the kids stuff and oars and whatever else. That is a good Idea. When my racks come in today or tomorrow I will head out and try and reorganize everything.

You may be out 90', the original rope plus 30' off ball or possibly more. IMHO I am uncomfortable on crowded lakes going that far back, seen some nasty things happen even a death when someone hit the tuber in the chop on a Jet Ski. Also remember that if the rider falls you are going to move forward a bit till you spin around and I personally don't want my rider that far away from me in the water, especially with some of the nut jobs I see riding around on jet ski's in an unsafe manner and why to close. If there is an issue I want to be close enough to punch it and get between my rider and whatever is coming at them. Your water may not be too crowded.

Also when you do the pendulum swing, crossing the wake, the tube will accelerate - which I have read in excess of 55-60 mph or more, the longer the rope the more speed, to the point of dangerous. I also think you had a hard time having them cross the wake because of the length of the rope which I believe makes it more difficult. I don't over exaggerate the swing at all for safety reasons, just enough to get the moving back and forth consistently so they can bounce over the wake. Note: In my younger days when I was a competition Slalom and barefoot Skier, we would take a donut tube and do a lot of stupid things with it, hit the water so hard I blacked out.... dumb, dumb, dumb. Luckily everyone lived through it. I guess with age comes wisdom and common sense.

Just my thoughts, I will digress to those with much more experience and wisdom than I.

AncientCanoe

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the big mable 2 person tube. My advice is to sell that thing and tell your kids tubes were outlawed on your lake because the two person is a PITA to lug around, I can't imagine even bigger. But if you want I giant PITA here is what I've learned.

You want to buy a hand pump because the electric pumps aren't going to get them firm enough. Fill them with the electric then hook the hand pump up. You want those tubes firm. You need to accelerate into your turns so the rope keeps tension, and let off as they start getting whipped. It's a lot of throttle work which is another reason why tubing is a PITA.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Well this post has me a bit worried...I bought one of the balls and I have a 2 person tube coming, my return window with Amazon is this Friday and I pick my boat up from the dealer this Friday.....so now I am really wondering if I am needing that ball?? My kids are 4 and 6 so I won't be going to crazy with them and could probably tow from the tower, but with my nephew's who are all teenagers, I imagine it would be on the lower tow point and then the ball would make more sense as it would be a more intense ride.

man oh man....decisions, decisions.....I hate not knowing what the right thing is, specially when I have to return it even before I try it?
I have the Super Mabel HD that sits 3. It is a lot bigger than I hoped for, no were to put the damn thing when deflated, since I must now carry 3 different inflatables, a Wakeboard, and a Zup Board which should arrive today. I don't have a problem swinging them across the wake, it is just by feel. Now granted I don't go all crazy with them like I have seen some on the lake I switched to the tower. I also had the same experience as you with the ball, wish I didn't spend the money it on it. I guess when I went to the tower with the 60' of rope it pulled them in closer to the jet wash. I may go get a couple of sections or so to lengthen it out a bit within safe limits.

I basically get them on the outside of the wake and then when I "feel" and see them starting coming back, you can feel the pull on the boat and I start my "S" in the other direction, but not to sharply since you want to maintain tension on the rope. Was going around 18-20 and they were having a great time going back and forth.

I will digress to the more avid members here who are tube towing pros.
After I deflated it i was able to get it back in the ski locker and push it forward, It is the only thing i have in there right now though. I ended up using my 3 man tube rope and added a section from the ball which ended up being the perfect length. I don't know what the acutal length is though. I guess i need more practice with tubes and a jet.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless some other member indicated differently, I was not impressed with the ball whatsoever on the lower tow point. Go to Costco and buy a 6 pack of goggles for 12 bucks and call it good. I used the Ball half the day on Saturday, it won't ever go back in my boat. Waste of Money. The teenagers I had on the tower, it was fine. Going to add another 10' of rope since that is about what I lose going from the lower tow point to the tower.

FYI, I would gladly sell my ball for 1/2 off.

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Luckily I didn't purchase the ball, my dad had it and we used it behind his aluminum fish and ski. It worked great behind that boat with a bridal. I have not used it enough behind this boat to really determine if i will keep using it or not. It might be great for the younger kids.

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i don't know what model the airhead tube i have is but it's the biggest friggin tube i've ever seen. total PITA to lug around but my kids love it. i have to run it slightly deflated because if i don't kids are flying way too high and the current crop are only 11 (oldest). now, once they get good at staying on and maybe a year older i will destroy them. no kid can stay behind the boat and on the tube if i don't want them to. basically, if you are old enough to "get" led zeppelin 2, you are getting thrown. HARD.

jgourlie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
i don't know what model the airhead tube i have is but it's the biggest friggin tube i've ever seen. total PITA to lug around but my kids love it. i have to run it slightly deflated because if i don't kids are flying way too high and the current crop are only 11 (oldest). now, once they get good at staying on and maybe a year older i will destroy them. no kid can stay behind the boat and on the tube if i don't want them to. basically, if you are old enough to "get" led zeppelin 2, you are getting thrown. HARD.
Are you towing off the tower or off the hook with a ball etc?

DRAT

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
i've been using the stern hook, no ball. next time out i'm gonna try the tower.

Ogtbagger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
I tried both. Played with rope length. i will work on it some more this weekend.