• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Melted Wire - potential causes?

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Was installing a new battery tender over the weekend in advance of hooking up everything for my sound install, and came across this wire in the attached picture. It was going from the house battery switch to the positive post of the house battery. Any recommendations on replacement or potential cause of the damage (and likely fire hazard)? I have no idea when it happened or how long it has been like that. We've had voltage drop on that battery, perhaps this is the cause? Never had a burning smell or anything, but it melted the wire coating and the plastic loom it was wrapped in. Do I need a thicker gauge wire for that 12 inch run, or am I just looking at a faulty wire?

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Look up how many amps you are running through that wire and what gauge would be required I think it was just too small of a gauge for what was running through it.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
That looks too thin 6ga (?) for a main battery cable from the battery to the switch. 2ga minimum as it needs to carry 100 amps or more.
Just pick up a standard 12 inch battery cable from your local auto parts store, and some plastic loom to replace it.

This is why fuses are required when you add devices to your boat. The fuse doesn't protect your device, it protects the wiring in your boat if the device shorts and draws too much current which could lead to a fire.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That looks too thin 6ga (?) for a main battery cable from the battery to the switch. 2ga minimum as it needs to carry 100 amps or more.
Just pick up a standard 12 inch battery cable from your local auto parts store, and some plastic loom to replace it.

This is why fuses are required when you add devices to your boat. The fuse doesn't protect your device, it protects the wiring in your boat if the device shorts and draws too much current which could lead to a fire.
@212s I was thinking 4 gauge, you think go to 2? I haven't added anything since purchasing the boat, I'm fusing everything off for the stereo install but that will be isolated and not connected to the battery switch. I think this is likely the case of just using incorrect wire by the previous owner.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was that a dealer installed battery switch?

Whoever installed it should have used larger wiring.

Not only is wire that is too small dangerous but the heat is the product of lost current reducing how long your battery(s) can support your load.

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Was that a dealer installed battery switch?

Whoever installed it should have used larger wiring.

Not only is wire that is too small dangerous but the heat is the product of lost current reducing how long your battery(s) can support your load.
I don't know if it was dealer installed or not, we purchased the boat used and the switch was already installed. I'm combing through the other battery to see if it's a similar issue, but the other side looks fine. Only see this problem on the house side.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@212s I was thinking 4 gauge, you think go to 2?
Yes, definitely need to get a 2ga battery cable on there...it carries all the current for all devices connected to the switch.

Make sure you check all your black ground cables to make sure they're 2ga battery cables too as they complete the circuit and must be rated the same.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Yes, definitely need to get a 2ga battery cable on there...it carries all the current for all devices connected to the switch.

Make sure you check all your black ground cables to make sure they're 2ga battery cables too as they complete the circuit and must be rated the same.
This.

Buy some thicker wire. 4 gauge is probably fine. 0 is healthy overkill.