• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mercury 60/40 top speed in 14' Jon?

Derick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have a smoker craft 14' double wide Jon with a 1985 mercury 60/40 jet and I'm only getting 23 mph with just me is that normal or should I be getting more? I have five battery's for running lights for bow fishing and I decked portions of the boat in alum and alum floor. If I posted in the wrong area sorry I'm new and not sure where to post.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Seems close with all the weight. I think my prop 16' lowe with a 30 horse does about 25 max.

Derick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
With 3 people it won't even plane out. Just wondered if I should have more. The impeller and sleeve is old cast style so I wasn't sure if that was robbing performance

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much weight total? I really wouldn't expect it too with all the people and batteries.

Derick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm not sure of total weight. I just saw 17' boats with 60/40 jets and figured my 14' Jon boat would still weigh a lot less. I'm guessing most of my weight is in batteries. The alum I wouldn't think would weigh any more then the wood in a bass boat

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
What group batteries are they? group 31 batteries weigh roughly 65 pounds, times 5 = 325 pounds just in batteries. Then add in people weight , just say average 175 each, your at 850 pounds and a would imagine above the capacity of the boat.