• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Metal in the oil filters

jmargo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Opened the filters after changing the oil. One season and about 50 hours. Both filters have about the same amount so I tend to lean toward normal wear. I will pull an oil sample mid season for analysis. Anyone else open the filters after replacement ?Filter 1.jpgFilter 2.jpgFilter 3.jpgFilter 4.jpg

How many hours are on the engines? What oil are you using? Has there been any engine issues in the past?
You are going to have multiple oil analysis tests at set intervals to have a base to know what is going on unless something is off the charts. Finding that small amount of metal in the filter is a good thing, meaning that it’s doing it’s job.

Mid 200's, Yamalube 4w with Yamaha filters beginning of each season. One engine yelled at me for low oil pressure when it blew the seal of the oil cooler last year. Ran about 30 seconds and probably dumped 2 quarts in the bilge. Replace the seal and refilled the oil. That is the main reason I cut the filters this year. Since the material was even between the two I am pretty confident no damage was done.

Pulled the filters in a buddies 2019 212 Limited. Same small flakes in both filters. Less than mine but not much.SC1.jpg

Back