• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

MFI trailer Bow Stop post thickness

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can anyone tell me the thickness of the bow stop post?

I'm leaving San Antonio tomorrow to pick up my boat in FL, I want to take some bolts with me to drill and bolt my bow stop since I don't have it welded or anything.

I'm thinking a 4" bolt will be good but I want to make sure, and I don't really want to be going to find some after I get there.

Thanks!

Do you have a galvanized trailer? I spent hours and dulled several bits drilling holes for the bolt. Maybe it wasn't that bad, but it was bad.

And I still want to have it welded.

Just measured mine in the driveway - I believe my MFI is identical to yours.

The bow stop post is 3.5" x 3.5" square tube. I could not get a wall thickness nor could I get the dimensions of the stub from the main trailer assembly as my bow stop is welded in place.

Hope this helps.

The bow stop post is 3.5" x 3.5" square tube. I could not get a wall thickness nor could I get the dimensions of the stub from the main trailer assembly as my bow stop is welded in place.

Hope this helps.
Sure does!
Thanks, not too worried about wall thickness. I'd rather have mine welded but just haven't gotten around to it...one of those things I'd rather do myself but didn't have access to a welder...mainly because I waited till the last minute to really think about doing it before I left FL. I didn't tow it more than 1 mile if I took it home to wash it instead of just doing it at the marina.

@Bruce I don't have a galvanized, I have a box full of decent bits so I'll get through it!

I think you will be fine. The galvanized trailer seemed like it had been hardened.

I bolted both my mfi trailers (galvanized and painted) with three 1/2" diameter by 4" or 4.5" long galvanized bolts from Home Depot. It took two $10 dewalt drill bits, about 30 minutes and lots of elbow grease to put $5 in nuts and bolts in. Worth every penny and every minute since I can't weld and this alternative is just as good IMHO.

I bolted both my mfi trailers (galvanized and painted) with three 1/2" diameter by 4" or 4.5" long galvanized bolts from Home Depot. It took two $10 dewalt drill bits, about 30 minutes and lots of elbow grease to put $5 in nuts and bolts in. Worth every penny and every minute since I can't weld and this alternative is just as good IMHO.
I'm going to bolt mine just like you have yours with three bolts, out of all the ones I've seen since being in the forum I remember how you did yours.

I'm going to bolt mine just like you have yours with three bolts, out of all the ones I've seen since being in the forum I remember how you did yours.
One bolt should be more than sufficient to keep the post from riding up. Especially if you've loaded the boat up to the roller. I've been running with a single bolt for 12 seasons now. I was going to weld it, but never got around to it. Lately I've been thinking about modifying the tongue to a fold-a-way. Only because the storage place re-measured the boat/trailer and says it's a foot longer than they though and want to charge me more. So I'll make it fold and it will be a foot shorter than it was and I'll pay even less! ;)

I think you will need at least two bolts through the side to keep the bow stop from moving back and forth / towards and away from the bow.

I didn't realize that any of the 230 series boats came with anything but an mfi trailer with a foldable tongue until now. I agree it doesn't save much space but it is enough when folded to keep it out of the side walk so I can keep it in my driveway without getting a ticket.

Hope this helps.
Next on my list , I already picked up some steel tubing following @GTBRMC previous link :)

Back