• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Minn Kota Ulterra wont clear Yamaha 222 FSH bow

Jazco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hello,
I bought a new Yamaha FSH 222 but I didn't realize how much issues there would be when I install a trolling motor. My buddy talked me into the Minn Kota Ulterra 112lb / 72" which is a 36v system. So this boat model has almost no room for a trolling motor on the bow due to the anchor locker being all the way forward into the peak of the bow. Yamaha has mitigated this and they provide a metal external bracket that you can mount a bit to the side of the bow. Also I had to use the quick release because the bracket is not wide enough for the base of the motor and has predrilled holes for the quick release. I guess it was Yamaha's intention to have you use the quick release.

Anyway, the motor I selected is just a little bit too big. So when it self deploys, it clips the rub rail just a little bit. When it self stows, it tends to hit the rub rail and a bit harder than when deploying. The reason is not just because the motor and prop is too big, but the motor is side mounted and the shape of the bow sticks out too far. So moving The Yamaha mount is impossible as it's shaped to be in a specific spot, the quick release and motor base is lined up perfectly with the bracket as planed.

Is there any kind of adjustment I can make to clear the bow. The auto deploy trims the motor down slightly before rotating 90 degrees. If only it could just trim one more inch before rotating. I know you can calibrate the deploy to the front of the motor is tilted up a bit before it locks in the cradle. I'm not sure that will work but another thought would be to see if I can adjust the stowing "cradle" so the motor stows slightly tilted. There are Minn Kota extending brackets but I'm not sure they fit the Yamaha bracket and it would be a pain in the rear at this point to go backwards. I used 5200 on the bolts so the quickrelease will be very difficult to remove.

Attachments

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't know anything about the calibration issue, but you may need to get a custom plate or something like the shuttle slide mount. I'm going through this myself so I've been researching and planning. There's a thread on here with pictures of what others have done, not sure if you've seen that.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Recommend Shuttle Slide or longer mount. That is how I have installed them on peoples boats with the Ulterra. I have the Terrova so it is manual and I control it when bringing it out of the water.

Jazco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length

Jazco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Recommend Shuttle Slide or longer mount. That is how I have installed them on peoples boats with the Ulterra. I have the Terrova so it is manual and I control it when bringing it out of the water.
Thanks! I wish I would have known about this option. I was not thinking outside of whatever Minn Kota has to offer.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks! I wish I would have known about this option. I was not thinking outside of whatever Minn Kota has to offer.
Mine also hits the hull just a bit when stowing… the plan is to eventually make a @Zeusmotorworks type of bracket and extend the motor out another inch. The .5“ aluminum will probably also stop the flex that happens with the OEM bracket.

Jazco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Mine also hits the hull just a bit when stowing… the plan is to eventually make a @Zeusmotorworks type of bracket and extend the motor out another inch. The .5“ aluminum will probably also stop the flex that happens with the OEM bracket.
I have not had a chance to try it, but Minn Kota has a video showing you can calibrate the trim and reset the "zero" position. It appears the motor will trim all the way up until the collar of the lower unit hits the motor, then push out 6 inches. I wonder if a simple reset will help me as 6 inches "pretrim" before rotating should do the trick. Or maybe I can make a temporary collar that prevents the trim rising to the top during the reset and tricking it to pretrim longer. Keep in the mind too much weight during rotation apparently will stop the motor to prevent damage. I'll let you know if it works.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have not had a chance to try it, but Minn Kota has a video showing you can calibrate the trim and reset the "zero" position. It appears the motor will trim all the way up until the collar of the lower unit hits the motor, then push out 6 inches. I wonder if a simple reset will help me as 6 inches "pretrim" before rotating should do the trick. Or maybe I can make a temporary collar that prevents the trim rising to the top during the reset and tricking it to pretrim longer. Keep in the mind too much weight during rotation apparently will stop the motor to prevent damage. I'll let you know if it works.
You can always call their help line and ask if there is something that can be done, but, like you said, it may need to come up that far to keep the sensors from thinking there is an obstruction.

Jazco

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
I will do that, thanks!