• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mid Summer Maintenence ?

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
inspection1.jpg inspection2.jpg inspection3.jpg Not sure but I literally just got done fogging each motor about 5 minutes ago. Took only about 10 minutes to take apart/re assemble each air filter and do the fogging. 20 minute job for some peace of mind knowing i did it. Is it necessary who knows but it definitely cant hurt the engine so the 20 minutes of my time isnt that bad. I also inspected underneatht the boat and saw some chips on the intake grate. Im guessing this is normal because none of the hull had any of this and was smooth as can be..

Also what is the hole in the one pictore for ??

rkgdmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
These engines ARE purpose built marine engines.
Yes. Right. That was my point. The 1.8's are advertised as purpose built, marine engines. Why do they need this extra maintenance while their other marine engines don't? My gut is telling me that there is some evidence of premature wear or failure and this fogging requirement is some type of band aid until something is redesigned.

Last edited:

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fogging oil has a definite purpose when a motor will be sitting for some time, but I struggle to believe that there is any anti-corrosive protection being given after the motor has been run for a length of time. That said, there are a number of very smart members here, as well as a service bulletin from Yamaha that suggest that it does. A can of fogging oil is cheap, and with the 1.8's being so easy to fog, I fog as part of my post salt water use cleanup every time (5 or 6 times a year). Very cheap, and very easy insurance on a expensive toy. If this was a high priced or labor intensive procedure, my position would likely be different.

seadude

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
4 minutes at 2500 rpm - I'll have to remember that this fall because I've always fogged at idle and never that long.
And I really don't think fogging will foul your plugs, at least not on the 1.8 liter.