• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mini Jet Build

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A recent move to South Mississippi changed my boat mission. Previously had several ski boats and a toon through the years. I find myself now too far from a reasonable body of water to get good use from the previous boats so looking to run a few skinny waters closer to the new location.

Picked up a Mini jet Avenger project and working to get it going in the rough for the rest of this season and to test the functionality of this type of boat here. If all goes well, I may tear it down this winter and fix it up nice. Hull was professionally welded and looks good but previous owners equipment installation craftsmanship is lacking in my opinion 😣.

Will see how it goes. hopefully I can update along the way.

So far replaced 4 turn helm with a 270 degree unit, fit the reverse bucket cable, and modified a Hot Foot to match the Yamaha short throttle cable stroke.

Anyone have any experience pumping a little sand once in a while? 😯 I know sand is abrasive but never owned a jet, If a guy is careful can I expect a reasonable service life from the pump? I can imagine it getting some abuse once in a while as we tend to stir up a ruckus now and again.

Attachments

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It really depends on the condition of the impeller. Of course, sucking up sand is not ideal, but not fatal, either (my boat still runs...). But I would think that if your impeller is chopped up it would probably be worse on it.

Got any pics of the impeller/pump?

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Made a little progress yesterday. Modified a surplus Destaco clamp handle for the reverse control. Sorta Overkill but it was available. Installed the Yamaha exhaust port through transom. IMG_20190701_114517.jpgIMG_20190701_114523.jpgIMG_20190701_171350.jpgIMG_20190701_173322.jpg

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It really depends on the condition of the impeller. Of course, sucking up sand is not ideal, but not fatal, either (my boat still runs...). But I would think that if your impeller is chopped up it would probably be worse on it.

Got any pics of the impeller/pump?
I don't have any pictures handy but when I was up in there it was in great condition right now. Also wear ring is excellent. The question is how long will it stay like that? Will avoid intentional abuse but I bet it's going to get some havock

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably something to watch, but I bet it will be fine for a while. Watch the plastic parts--they will go first, of course.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It looks like a hot boat literally.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Pulled the engine today to finish drilling and taping the engine mounts. Previous owner had set it up and alignment is not real good. Gonna have to redo the entire mount system to get it right. Rear needs to be lower. Hopefully the coupler can hang in there for some trial running this season yet. Might tear it all apart this winter and fix it all right with a shorter pump intake and a nice interior trim.

Installed a sand trap in the cooling line and hooked up the exhaust with some temporarily foam and bungee mounts.

Fuel tank setting on that expansion foam is not good. Hope to keep from spilling gas on it. :eek: for the time being.IMG_20190702_145658.jpgIMG_20190702_145651.jpgIMG_20190702_170242.jpgIMG_20190702_170257.jpg

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Put flooring in and re installed the seats.

Got it fired up a little. Tidied up some wiring and hoses for trial run.

Should be able to have the naming early afternoon and splashdown following. IMG_20190703_120219.jpgIMG_20190703_120228.jpg

Dylan01

Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Great build! I have been passively looking into buying a Jetstream boat, but I know it will spiral out of control real quick! Do you have a stomp plate for the grate? Has the 3 cylinder 1100 yamaha been worked over? I had a GP1200 back in the day that was heavily modified. If I recall, the oil injection on the third cylinder was a common failure point (which caused me a rebuild).

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Oh boy!!!!!!IMG_20190703_131321.jpg

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
DoneIMG_20190703_141718.jpgIMG_20190703_131815.jpg

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Great build! I have been passively looking into buying a Jetstream boat, but I know it will spiral out of control real quick! Do you have a stomp plate for the grate? Has the 3 cylinder 1100 yamaha been worked over? I had a GP1200 back in the day that was heavily modified. If I recall, the oil injection on the third cylinder was a common failure point (which caused me a rebuild).
No stomp plate on this one. will see how well it works here. mostly running in fairly clean water.

Don't know the history on the engine. Previous owner had collected it. did some through inspections but have not taken it apart. Have 2 Yamaha 1200's that been thinking about building into mini jets.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Had a good day o_O🕺

IMG_20190703_144730.jpgIMG_20190703_145656.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hung on a stump bout a mile downstream. Tore it up. Figured out we could sorta encourage it right or left by leaning hard to one side or the other.
Made it back through bunch a logs and stumps hammer down to skip up cross stuff without steering. It was wild. Having a ball.

Attachments

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I reckon that's why most have a skid plate under the jet. Will try to fabricate one up. Also those brackets on the top of the pump appear fairly useless so I might straiten that up as well.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Baby sitting a little Sat. Morning while my bride was looking at yard sales....IMG_20190706_093241.jpg

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Love this build, very cool!

I might recommend something padded on that metal dash, maybe a pool noodle? That next stump or shallow spot in the river could put a face into the dash. But don't let me poop on the party, as I think it would be a blast!!

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Been thinking about bending a 3/4in aluminum pipe to match profile and welding it along the tangent of the circle.