• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mini Jet Build

Recoveringfiberglassaddic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Running shallow in these rivers even with care fills the engine cooling water sand filter pretty often if ya hit a bar few times. I find myself cleaning it several times each outing. When the engine cover is built, I will not have the ability to casually look around and visually see the sand level. Will probably need to rig up some type of alarm so that when the water pressure drops to a certain pressure I am alerted and can clean the filter before waiting on the engine to overheat.

Any ideas? In a perfect world I would have some sort of sensor in the sand trap that would directly measure the level of solids in the bowl but all I have found so far seems to be fairly expensive ultra sonic sensors.

Anyone have the specs handy for min. water pressure at idle and WOT?
Can you post a pic of your sandtrap??

This is what we run on the rivers around here. If you have yo adapt your plumbing and it's not what you are using I'd highly recommend it.

Only downside is it dumps the sand in the bilge, so you need to wash it out when you get home. Tilt the trailer and hose it out. Pretty minor work looking at what you've been doing to the boat.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Found This thread which gives lot of good data! Not exactly my particular engine but can assume from that it would be hard the prevent a pressure alarm from false tripping at idle.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Can you post a pic of your sandtrap??

This is what we run on the rivers around here. If you have yo adapt your plumbing and it's not what you are using I'd highly recommend it.

Only downside is it dumps the sand in the bilge, so you need to wash it out when you get home. Tilt the trailer and hose it out. Pretty minor work looking at what you've been doing to the boat.
Not exactly the same but works the same way. You can see it in a few previous pictures.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
This project is still running slow motion.
Designing some type of skid plate or bars for protection of the controls and pump.
IMG_20190808_172335.jpgIMG_20190808_201739.jpg

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Putting a skid plate under the pump.

Started trimming the back of the swim deck with round tubing. Will probably use the same thing to trim off the rear edge of the windshield. It's 0.750" with 0.035 wall so really thin and light weight.

IMG_20190815_192131.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Very cool project man!

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Does anyone have experience extending the cooling water supply line? I would like to locate the sand trap up at the front seat so it can be monitored without opening the rear hatch. IMG_20190817_102527.jpg

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Does anyone have experience extending the cooling water supply line? I would like to locate the sand trap up at the front seat so it can be monitored without opening the rear hatch. View attachment 103133
It comes in through thr transom plate(s) via the white plastic screen and then goes into a rubber hose and a splitter which leads to exhaust and engine ports. If you were to lengthen it would cause a drop in pressure although less than if it was stuc with sand. You would want to lengthen straight fromthe inlet at the transom, loop back to the engine and the splitter.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It comes in through thr transom plate(s) via the white plastic screen and then goes into a rubber hose and a splitter which leads to exhaust and engine ports. If you were to lengthen it would cause a drop in pressure although less than if it was stuc with sand. You would want to lengthen straight fromthe inlet at the transom, loop back to the engine and the splitter.
There would be a little pressure drop due to the additional surface friction of a longer hose. I could up size the line which would recover the lost pressure as long as the water velocity would stay high enough to keep the solids (sand) moving. Too large of a hose would let the sand fall out of the stream and settle in the lowest part of the hose but my guess is 3/4 in line would be fine. Will do a little reading on solid transfer within fluid flow.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
There would be a little pressure drop due to the additional surface friction of a longer hose. I could up size the line which would recover the lost pressure as long as the water velocity would stay high enough to keep the solids (sand) moving. Too large of a hose would let the sand fall out of the stream and settle in the lowest part of the hose but my guess is 3/4 in line would be fine. Will do a little reading on solid transfer within fluid flow.
And at different rpms you have different pressures as well. Would a filter at the back with a pressure gauge ran to the front serve the same purpose?

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And at different rpms you have different pressures as well.
I have considered a gauged but what type of baseline for pugged vs clean would you use since engine speed has so much to do with pressure?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have considered a gauged but what type of baseline for pugged vs clean would you use since engine speed has so much to do with pressure?
You would need to know pressure at different rpms and determine a minimum i guess. If i remember correctly the mercury sport jets of some models had something similar.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You would need to know pressure at different rpms and determine a minimum i guess. If i remember correctly the mercury sport jets of some models had something similar.
If you look back at post 42 there is a link to some good information about the pressure vs RPM. It appears a pressure reading would only be useful if you operated consistently at a moderate engine speed or higher. Right now the plan is to size up to 5/8 in water hose at the transome and move the sand filter to the helm.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Waiting for another aluminum shipment to finish the grab bars. In the meantime taking the old red primer off. IMG_20190825_190303.jpg

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Finished stripping the paint. Made few fuel tank fixtures. IMG_20190914_100328.jpgIMG_20190912_173733.jpgIMG_20190914_094630.jpg

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Engine cover/Rear seats are coming along. Sheet metal construction can be a bear.

IMG_20191014_171253.jpgIMG_20191014_150032.jpgIMG_20191014_195239.jpgIMG_20191014_195057.jpg

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Paint has been ordered.....

IMG_20191015_170339.jpgIMG_20191015_170334.jpgIMG_20191015_170348.jpg

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting there looks like it will be lots of fun.

Weasel

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
More sheet metal work. Paint is here but might be a while getting back on it. Full plate right now with other obligations.
IMG_20191101_140659.jpgIMG_20191101_140632.jpgIMG_20191101_140348.jpg

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Running shallow in these rivers even with care fills the engine cooling water sand filter pretty often if ya hit a bar few times. I find myself cleaning it several times each outing.
You might have a solution already but adding something like this would work great.
Screenshot_20191101-160557_Chrome.jpg