• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Minn Kota Install on FSH190 - This Can’t be Right

sbry

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Really struggled with an install of a Minn Kota Terrova on my 2016 FSH 190. I’m using the factory mount with the MK quick release bracket. Hoping someone here can share some wisdom with me.

We got the mount securely fastened on the bow with just enough clearance that the shaft should be clear of the rubrail. I also added an additional 2 bolts to help distribute the weight and hold more securely. I might have this installed incorrectly, but it seems like there’s no way this mount can hold the weight of the Terrova over time - there’s way too much flex, and feels like it’ll snap in half the first time the boat bounces over a wake. Based on the design of the mount, you would intuitively think those angles at the end of the mount should sit snug against the bow, but the shapes don’t fit well and I think it would just cause a ton of rub. When we added the motor onto the mount, it probably drops 3mm just with the weight. I’m using the factory bolts, with a rubber washer between the mount and fiberglass, with a washer and nylock underneath. I’m tempted to go to a metal shop and have a longer mount made out of thicker metal. Or am I just mounting this like an idiot?

Secondly, I’m wondering if I have too long a shaft for this boat. This is the 60” shaft. Admittedly, I did not measure myself, but saw that several others with the 190 had posted about using the 60” and it being a good fit. I feel like the head of the motor sits very high when deployed and might get in the way.

Not a successful start to this project! I am totally lost (and humbled) and would greatly appreciate any advice or comments!
A27BA2DA-1E0C-4BEE-8C0D-6A802ADE3151.jpeg15474805-4156-495C-90FA-3DCB07BEB67E.jpeg64D8B5B0-DCCB-485C-8A0C-6EA75E26FE4C.jpeg38174A50-9850-444D-BD15-D2E85EF9B70B.jpeg622E5089-7ED8-41E9-8055-1B8477214BC9.jpeg

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Mine came already installed since I bought used but I have the same set-up. My mount sits flush against the boat - yours has a big gap.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
the curve should be touching the hull.... yikes

sbry

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Yeah, you would think the mount should sit flush against the curve in the bow, but mine doesn’t, it seems to only touch at a couple points. Others have said they had the same issue and it causes the mount to rub, so they left about an inch gap.

I’m wondering if I have the wrong mount for my year of boat… maybe the guy sent me the 2019 version. Are they materially different shapes?

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yeah, you would think the mount should sit flush against the curve in the bow, but mine doesn’t, it seems to only touch at a couple points. Others have said they had the same issue and it causes the mount to rub, so they left about an inch gap.

I’m wondering if I have the wrong mount for my year of boat… maybe the guy sent me the 2019 version. Are they materially different shapes?
you have to angle it right, I know you probably dont want scratch to your rub rail but its the only way. If you angle it right it should sit flush with the curve.