• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

FSH 190 Sport trolling motor install

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I've been contemplating an excessive concept with dual electric motors mounted beneath the swim deck...
Nice, the only issue I could think of on that setup is it will create drag if you're not using it unless you have some ways to retract it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been contemplating an excessive concept with dual electric motors mounted beneath the swim deck...
I have seen those bolt on electric lower units on boats, both transom and outboard engine mounts. They looked intriguing. Battery draw will be crazy absurd. Plus you have more control from the bow, but two may make it easier. Would have to sync their turning.

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Nice, the only issue I could think of on that setup is it will create drag if you're not using it unless you have some ways to retract it.
Yeah, I was planning a retracting setup. Pull a lever in the cockpit to engage them. I tried to look and it seems like when under way there isn't much flow if any at all under the swim deck. I'm thinking of making my own motor housing for them.

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have seen those bolt on electric lower units on boats, both transom and outboard engine mounts. They looked intriguing. Battery draw will be crazy absurd. Plus you have more control from the bow, but two may make it easier. Would have to sync their turning.
Yeah, the power draw gets exponentially higher with speed. I was shooting for 5mph, maybe a bit more in a sprint. For controls I was thinking two modes, one would read the steering wheel position and use that to direct the motor thrusts (so I get to use some control from the cobra jet). The other mode would be autopilot, using gps and waypoints, so keep the steering wheel straight and it would be all thrust steering.

The ultimate objective is two things: 1. Be able to quietly cruise with my family around our lake and chat, eat snacks, etc, especially cool with auto pilot following waypoints and 2. engage anchor mode to keep it in one spot and aimed in a chosen direction.

Probably would use a raspberry pi as the controller.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat is larger and heavier than yours and my 80# Minn Kota works just fine for that, what you want to do both points and that is how we use it. If you need more power just jump up to the 110#. I was at 4 mph the other day in a slight chop. Not sure why you want to reinvent something when a probable solution already exists and fairly easy to implement.

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not sure why you want to reinvent something when a probable solution already exists and fairly easy to implement.
We do these things "not because they are easy, but because they are hard"...:)

But yeah, you're right. The main difference for me is not having to have the trolling motor stick out the front. Keeping that clean look.

Heizen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
If you go to Minn Kota’s official website, you’ll find more detailed resources to guide you through the setup process. The available resources and documentation include setup diagrams for more in-depth references.

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So the extended mount (factory aluminum) I had to cut back again to almost normal size and just added more holes. Extending it too long I didnt realize the gunnel is curved and it sticks out. Overall it was a good install, the quick disconnect block from Minn Kota, I used 3 small screw for the 3 holes you can see in the pic and 1 long ones that go through the hull so I dont risk dropping it in the ocean lol. Will be testing in the water soon

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Maiden voyage with trolling motor I’m an idiot for waiting this long to install lol. I handled inlet current in anchor mode w flying colors but I did adjust the height cause boat keeps flying by and create wake. It was very rough I went out the inlet and it’s about 3-5ft seas so I turned around did my test by the inlet 79BFDAEB-AA8B-44E0-858F-F9FB6774F3C4.jpeg4A652BD0-6A5D-41BF-9DE9-438905D3E39E.jpegADB20C30-84C1-421F-AA82-3FFAC467719F.jpeg0AED6B47-593B-4082-B22A-5D8252857877.jpeg2F28B904-9AE9-40D3-A409-FFC23FE5D459.jpeg

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So now here’s the question for those that have terrova I was at least 30min (max45 min) at the mouth of the inlet 3-4 knots current on anchor mode and about 3 hours by the sandbar with very little current when I got home I check my battery meter and it’s still full…. Is this like Yamaha gauge too lol 30A79281-FC14-4818-A19D-892DADACDF9C.jpeg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lol! Likely not like the Yamaha fuel gauge, but it is likely that it is not completely accurate. For example, if the 2nd light is really 50%, that is like 'out' for the battery if you want it to last (well, not sure on the lithiums, but you get the point). Few gauges actually account for how low you actually want to run your battery down.

That said, you have some mega lithium batteries there. Not surprised they still show as full.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Lol! Likely not like the Yamaha fuel gauge, but it is likely that it is not completely accurate. For example, if the 2nd light is really 50%, that is like 'out' for the battery if you want it to last (well, not sure on the lithiums, but you get the point). Few gauges actually account for how low you actually want to run your battery down.

That said, you have some mega lithium batteries there. Not surprised they still show as full.
I’m not planning to but lithium I can go down to 5% capacity with no problem

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe what you just wrote is that you need a decent amp, several new speakers and a souped up head unit... :)

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I believe what you just wrote is that you need a decent amp, several new speakers and a souped up head unit... :)
Lol you just reminded me that when the boat is running I can’t hear the music its probably my next project or maybe extended fuel tank

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
After checking my box of junk I found my next project. I bought this years ago for my Harley when I used to have a fairing but never got a chance to install its Rockford fosgate punch it’s very compact but packs a punch EE09687A-EB84-4472-AF03-AE8CA966463A.jpeg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only question is if it is marine. As you are in FL, I assume you boat in salt?

That said, it is a well-accepted tactic to use auto amps on boats (which are cheaper) and just replace them when they die. As long as you are eyes-open on it...

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Only question is if it is marine. As you are in FL, I assume you boat in salt?

That said, it is a well-accepted tactic to use auto amps on boats (which are cheaper) and just replace them when they die. As long as you are eyes-open on it...
Now u got me started lol 9BE7EE04-4E41-49CA-B68C-5B98638A8604.jpeg

bubbasuwannee

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Just picked up the same trolling motor...now researching everything for the install. I see a couple of different QD plug kits available...does it matter which one I got with? There's a MKR-26 and a MKR-28. Also, any issues with the factory trolling motor mount? I know you had it extended, but then didn't need the extension? Trying not to spend a fortune on all the parts for the install. Big ticket items left will be the batteries of course.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So now here’s the question for those that have terrova I was at least 30min (max45 min) at the mouth of the inlet 3-4 knots current on anchor mode and about 3 hours by the sandbar with very little current when I got home I check my battery meter and it’s still full…. Is this like Yamaha gauge too lol View attachment 181904
Get a Victron smart shunt for your trolling motor battery, they are configurable for all battery types and sizes. Very easy to install and the only way to really know how much energy you have used on a given outing. That meter on the trolling motor is looking at voltage on the battery only and not Ah’s used.