• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Mishaps and adventures picking up my jet boat

CoastalBoater

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello again all. I picked up my first jet boat yesterday (not counting my waverunner) a 2018 242 SE . I got it home but it was a process. Hopefully others can learn from some of this. As stated in in another post I was looking at a used 242 from a private seller and had it inspected but had not gotten to water test. I drove about 4 hours yesterday AM and we were able to put it in and the water test went fine. The boat had corrosion and much of the starboard pump was replaced under warranty and so we had picked up it straight from the dealer from service to put it in. After completing the sale, I hitched it up and the seller very kindly helped me remove the bimini and put on the cover. I knew there was no spare tire and should have bought one prior to picking it up. I did not know for sure I was going to get the boat though so figured was going to get new tires and spare etc after. You can tell already where this is going. The trailer is a 2019 Phoenix aluminum with dual axle disc brakes. It had four radial tires that looked okay I thought. I should have noticed though that it had two Loadstar radials on one side and two Karrier on the other. Odd for a 2-3 year old trailer. I tested all the lug nuts, applied straps to the boat (it had none) and headed for home. The trailer has a 5 pin flat connector and and I only had a 7 pin to 4 pin connector. That works but does not provide the reverse solenoid to lock out the brakes.

About half way home on the interstate I noticed that the bimini frame came loose from the tower attachment knob and flipped up. Thankfully, it did not come off at the hinges. I was able to exit and pull down a road to partially take off the cover and lower and replace the knob and tighten it again. I was pretty sure that I had done so before taking it in the first place. In the process of locking out the trailer surge to back up (I finally remembered that you can turn on the lights and then place the brake pin from the trailer to the running lights socket on the vehicle) I realized the surge cylinder was all the way in. I checked the brake fluid and it was low. I got back on the interstate after turning around to go to the next exit for brake fluid.

20210326_155649.jpg

A couple miles down the road I felt it vibrating and someone in another car signaled I had a flat. I got off at the next exit and one of the Loadstar tires was flat. Thankfully there was an Orielly Auto Parts store at the exit. I could not see anything in it (figured I had pickued up something on the short stretch of dirt road I was on) so tried inflating it without any luck hoping to be able to plug it. I finally looked on the inside and found it blew out the inner sidewall over a foot long. So now stuck with no spare on Friday evening I started calling around and finally found a Firestone 20 min away with one tire. So I went to pulling off the wheel and the lugs were rusted on. Even with PB blaster very hard to turn and I broke one wheel stud taking it off. Thankfully I was able beat out the stud from the hub. The wheel had some rim damage where it was bent a bit from when it wetn flat. I was able to unhitch the trailer (not easy as the jack is a little to short for my vehicle and had likely never been lubricated.) I left the boat there and drove to get the tire changed right at Firestone right before they closed. The guy was able to beat the rim back enough to mount the tire. I drove back to the boat and searched through many studs in Oreilly and found a suitable match and nut. Now in the dark was able to replace the wheel stud and mount the tire, putting anti seize on all the studs. I filled up the brake fluid and headed out again.

20210326_180813.jpg

20210326_181059.jpg

I took it a lot slower on the interstate and made it back at about 10:30 last night. The boat is now over at Goodyear getting a set of Endurance tires as was my plan in the first place. I cannot get the brakes in for service until after Easter. I had the boat inspected but obviously the trailer really needed it more. I could have boutght it and brought it straight to get tires and brakework and went back to pick up another day. That would have been a pain as well. Hindsight.

So I have a few questions. Am I the only one that has stuff like this happen to them?

I feel very lucky that the entire bimini frame did not come off on the interstate and kill someone. I included a pic of the knob attachment. Am I missing something. When I got home last night it was a little loose again. I will strap it down for towing now. Any other ideas?

I feel lucky that the other tire on that side did not give up also and toss me and the boat off the road on the interstate. Also lucky that the tire did no shred and toast the fender or the boat. I bought two new galvanized rims to replace the bent rim and one for a spare. I am thinking I will just mount the new Primewell? radial I got from Firestone on a new rim and use that for a spare. Would it be better to toss that and buy another Endurance for a spare?

I was worried about my tow vehicle a 2018 Yukon XL which I would have thought was plenty but the rating is only 6300 lbs as it does not have the HD trailering package. It seemed to do fine. I realize I will be close the boat and Al trailer is 5000 lbs. So loaded weight close to 6k even 6300. The real difference with the trailering package is the rear end and air leveling suspension. Brakes and coolers etc are the same. Mine is 3.08 rear end ratio and the trailer package 3.42. I will tow on the Gulf Coast so flat sea level. I will change it out later but I would be much more worried if towing in mountainous terrain. How much of a priority should I make trading out the truck to another with the 3.42? It did bounce a little and I think the boat will need to be moved forward to add some more toungue weight. I will have this done with the trailer brake service. It also looks like the trailer front is really long and I am considering having them cut a couple feet off the front trailer tube and remount the actuator?

I am ready to get started on my long shopping list for the boat (thanks to this forum.) I hope to put it the water again this afternoon. Knowing the rules… pic included from this morning.

20210327_090933.jpg

Sometimes we overlook the simplest of things. It could've been worse. The last few boats I bought were all new, but something I've always done is remove all lug nuts and coat studs with never-seize.
When I sold this spare parts pontoon after I was done with it, the guy that showed up from Charleston, SC 2 hours away definitely didn't seem to care about his tire situation, or tongue weight..

IMG_0010.JPG

Img_0006.jpg

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

@CoastalBoater Thanks for sharing your adventure. Glad you were prepared with some tools and were to make it home safely. Hopefully the trailer is the only headache you have with your new vessel. Have you had a chance to check out the bearings?

You mention the gulf coast, where a-bouts is your home port?

I’ve bought two used Yamahas and the trailers by far needed the most work. I lost a whole hub assembly on the Interstate so I know the feeling. Pretty boat!

@CoastalBoater maybe it’s the angle of the pic but that trailer doesnt look setup quite right for that boat. Might be why it’s having tire problems.

AA6EFACC-2507-4E25-8D29-F779C9DFAE3C.jpeg

@CoastalBoater Thanks for sharing your adventure. Glad you were prepared with some tools and were to make it home safely. Hopefully the trailer is the only headache you have with your new vessel. Have you had a chance to check out the bearings?

You mention the gulf coast, where a-bouts is your home port?

@VitaminSea

Yes hopefully so. The bearings says they are permanently lubricated? Has a sticker like this below. I need to look these up some more. Anyone know more about them?

vault-hybrid-lubrication-system-hls_1024x1024.gif

Home is New Orleans and in MS Gulf Coast. I put in the Lake (Pontchartrain) shortly yesterday evening but spent today inspecting, cleaning, and shopping online.

I’ve bought two used Yamahas and the trailers by far needed the most work. I lost a whole hub assembly on the Interstate so I know the feeling. Pretty boat!

Thanks. The graphics (stickers) are still on the starboard side. I plan to remove them as well rather than replace. I think much cleaner.

@CoastalBoater maybe it’s the angle of the pic but that trailer doesnt look setup quite right for that boat. Might be why it’s having tire problems.

View attachment 145418

@the MfM

I agree completely. The boat seems too far aft. Even the axles maybe as well? The bunks also seem to small and short to me. I have no idea why the front tubular member is so long. I am going to take it in for the trailer brakes (I will do a lot but don't mess with brakes) and have them check the weight and move it forward at least. If the whole brake system needs to go it might be time for EOH. Oh and the jack is a rusted pos.

Put a little blue loctite on that tower bolt and make sure the axle is t bent. Some come from the factory crooked. If it was straight all it takes is one pothole. Been through that and had a new one made and they didn’t weld the spindles on straight. Had them make another and it still wasn’t straight. Made sure to put it on so that it was toed in and not out.
Looks ok on the trailer as far as I can tell.
And there’s no such think as bearings that last forever when dunking in water.

40C8BEE6-B942-4ABD-841B-865E61D0ADCA.jpeg

@the MfM

I agree completely. The boat seems too far aft. Even the axles maybe as well? The bunks also seem to small and short to me. I have no idea why the front tubular member is so long. I am going to take it in for the trailer brakes (I will do a lot but don't mess with brakes) and have them check the weight and move it forward at least. If the whole brake system needs to go it might be time for EOH. Oh and the jack is a rusted pos.
My guess is that the trailer is for a longer boat. The bunks look about the same as mine & placement of the load over the axles look good also. Biggest thing is proper tongue weight and by looking at the pic I would say “good to go”

@RobbieO, I agree. Do you know anything about the VAULT system? See pic above. Thanks.
I have never heard of that. Is you trailer a Shorelandr? Maybe it's manufacturer specific, or some type of upgrade.

Put a little blue loctite on that tower bolt and make sure the axle is t bent. Some come from the factory crooked. If it was straight all it takes is one pothole. Been through that and had a new one made and they didn’t weld the spindles on straight. Had them make another and it still wasn’t straight. Made sure to put it on so that it was toed in and not out.

View attachment 145494
That's a gorgeous ship you have there.....

@the MfM

If you look at Troy JK's boat, there is definitely a problem with that trailer. Tongue is too long, winch seems too far rearward.

That Vault system is pretty slick. Oil lubricated with some pressure on that spring. 5 year warranty maintenance free as long as the "Vault" is still popped out. It's like a lifetime sealed bearing buddy with a slurry.( with a 5 year life)

I think you can buy and repack at the 5 year mark for another 5 years of "life".

Read up on them, but I was impressed when I learned about them.

If you look at Troy JK's boat, there is definitely a problem with that trailer. Tongue is too long, winch seems too far rearward.
Agreed, that trailer doesn't appear properly set up to carry a 24ft boat. Based on it's length I'd guess it's designed for a bigger boat, at least a 28 footer, maybe even a 30 or 32 footer. It looks like the winch has been moved back to accommodate this boat but it'd probably be worth getting a tongue weight on it as is. Just looking at the picture (and I'm no expert) my guess is it's really light on the tongue and adjusting the axles up will help balance the weight better, leading to better handling for the tow vehicle and less wear on the axles/wheels.

The axles appear to be in the same location of the boat but there’s no doubt the tongue is longer. As long as you are close on the tongue weight and have no sway issues, I don’t know of any reason that a longer tongue would cause tire failures.
Wouldn’t hurt to shorten it though either.
Did you check the date code on those tires?

Thanks to all for your assistance.

@Troy JK great tip on the locktite. I may still be tempted to strap it or cable it for towing. What is the purpose of the knob? Why not just have it bolted on?

Just so I am clear you are talking about the trailer axle and not the bimini frame hinges right? The trailer has torsion spring axles. I guess could be bent as well.

Thanks for sending the pic to compare. Also noticed your tow vehicle. Does your Tahoe have the trailering package with 3.42 rear end?

My guess is that the trailer is for a longer boat. The bunks look about the same as mine & placement of the load over the axles look good also. Biggest thing is proper tongue weight and by looking at the pic I would say “good to go”

I have never heard of that. Is you trailer a Shorelandr? Maybe it's manufacturer specific, or some type of upgrade.

Agreed, that trailer doesn't appear properly set up to carry a 24ft boat. Based on it's length I'd guess it's designed for a bigger boat, at least a 28 footer, maybe even a 30 or 32 footer. It looks like the winch has been moved back to accommodate this boat but it'd probably be worth getting a tongue weight on it as is. Just looking at the picture (and I'm no expert) my guess is it's really light on the tongue and adjusting the axles up will help balance the weight better, leading to better handling for the tow vehicle and less wear on the axles/wheels.

The trailer is a 2019 Phoenix Trailers Aluminum SB23-52TTB. As near as I can tell it is for a 23-24 foot boat. Puzzling as it does not look right. I agree the boat and axles need to go forward.

The axles appear to be in the same location of the boat but there’s no doubt the tongue is longer. As long as you are close on the tongue weight and have no sway issues, I don’t know of any reason that a longer tongue would cause tire failures.
Wouldn’t hurt to shorten it though either.
Did you check the date code on those tires?

I will get the tongue weight checked and adjusted. I did not manage to check the date codes on the tires. (now gone)

That Vault system is pretty slick. Oil lubricated with some pressure on that spring. 5 year warranty maintenance free as long as the "Vault" is still popped out. It's like a lifetime sealed bearing buddy with a slurry.( with a 5 year life)

I think you can buy and repack at the 5 year mark for another 5 years of "life".

Read up on them, but I was impressed when I learned about them.

It is a 2019 so hopefully can get some more life out of them.

That's a gorgeous ship you have there.....

Thanks.

Back