• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mission Impossible: Finding a 2020 242S on the east coast...

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Call Wonderland Marine, Waterford Michigan Ask for Ryan Zamler (844) 248-8489 , let him know Charles mentioned him. It looks like they have stock. He is whom I purchased my 2020 AR210 boat from. Fantastic experience. Great Price, threw in Coast Guard Starter kit.

Hey thanks...are they on galvanized trailers being that you guys are on the lakes over there?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine is not. I cant speak for the rest. Call em and see what they can do.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So, interesting conversation I had with my service adviser today on rumors from Yamaha production. They produced 4,000 fewer 2020 boats than they had projected. Right now they have started up production on 2021 which will not be delivered until August (maybe). I wonder about the pace of production and whether distancing and sanitation requirements will slow down the factory.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So, interesting conversation I had with my service adviser today on rumors from Yamaha production. They produced 4,000 fewer 2020 boats than they had projected. Right now they have started up production on 2021 which will not be delivered until August (maybe). I wonder about the pace of production and whether distancing and sanitation requirements will slow down the factory.
I'm betting that they will be figuring out spacing gradually and that the production rate will be lower than usual for some time to come. As mentioned in another thread, suppliers have also likely been impacted by production issues, which will also contribute to the production rate.

My 2020 has a February production date. I'm not entirely sure I'd want anything that was made after March of this year while ramp-up is a giant experiment.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Quad How do you look up Production Date?

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's part of the Hull Identification Number (HIN): HIN Search User Guide

Basically, the last 4 characters will tell you 3 important things: month/year of production and model year. In my case, it's B020 (B = February production month, 0 = 2020 production year, 20 = model year)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
A020 Then is January of this year. Thanks that is the last 4 of my HIN.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, on the plate on the engine it has the production date of the engine...

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So now I'm thinking that I should just look at the 242SE as the few remaining 242S are being priced into the 70's.
I went into the hunt intending to get an AR240 and bought a 242SE. No regrets (yet!)

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I went into the hunt intending to get an AR240 and bought a 242SE. No regrets (yet!)
Yes, that's how it all began here with an innocent upgrade from a 19 footer to a 24 footer, figured I'd keep it simple with the AR...lol..."no more AR's...oh look at the 242S that's left in stock, so very nice!...oops those are gone too, how about a 242X???"

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, that's how it all began here with an innocent upgrade from a 19 footer to a 24 footer, figured I'd keep it simple with the AR...lol..."no more AR's...oh look at the 242S that's left in stock, so very nice!...oops those are gone too, how about a 242X???"
Crud, we were looking for used boats! Even back in February the pickings were slim. All said, we're glad we went new; if there's issues they'll be of Yamaha's making (warranty) or our own (lessons learned and documented).

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Frankly, given that the manufacturer is not making, you are going after a market that will be nothing but overpriced at this point.

Were I you, I would be checking out the used market, particularly on this board, for a good boat, gently used and well-cared-for, that you could pick up at a reasonable price. There will be plenty of time in years to come to step up into a new model when the current blip is done.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Frankly, given that the manufacturer is not making, you are going after a market that will be nothing but overpriced at this point.

Were I you, I would be checking out the used market, particularly on this board, for a good boat, gently used and well-cared-for, that you could pick up at a reasonable price. There will be plenty of time in years to come to step up into a new model when the current blip is done.
Not sure how it is where you are, but in New England the used market had dried up before March, and nothing has shown up since.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Attachments

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Yes, had that thought as well. I'm not going to drive for a day and pay more because it's the "last" boat...

Troy JK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer was out 3-4 weeks ago. Told me if I wanted to sell he could get me every penny I have into it. Thanks but no thanks.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
My dealer was out 3-4 weeks ago. Told me if I wanted to sell he could get me every penny I have into it. Thanks but no thanks.
I don’t doubt it...

ken4motion

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hi all, again thanks for everyone's help here, so greatly appreciated. I could not go through with the deal as all the incentives dried up as well as current seller's market condition, etc. Looks like it's on to 2021!