• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Monster Tower rack 2018 Limited SE

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is anyone using a monster tower surf/wake rack on their 2018 242 Limited SE?

I recently purchased one and have been unable to mount it so that the boards have adequate clearance and appropriate angle when deployed outside and inside of the boat.

It seems that I can only find a balance on one position - either maintains the appropriate position and angle when the boards are outside the boat - or I can have it angled appropriately for the boards being inside the boat - but I cannot do both.

I'm feeling a little embarrassed that I can't seem to figure this out but it genuinely looks like the rack just doesn't fit the reverse swept tower. before I pay for return shipping I wanted to check to see if someone else has experience with it.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think you’ll just need to pick one or the other due to the angle of the tower.

The rack I’m using is leveled on the outside, but it isn’t really leveled with anything...

You can either position the rack so the boards are level when you’re floating, or you can position it so they’re level while cruising. I picked something in between so they would look close while both moving and stationary. I also had to mount them lower than I planned, and went under the horizontal brace in the tower.

If you look good, you play good.

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Is anyone using a monster tower surf/wake rack on their 2018 242 Limited SE?

I recently purchased one and have been unable to mount it so that the boards have adequate clearance and appropriate angle when deployed outside and inside of the boat.

It seems that I can only find a balance on one position - either maintains the appropriate position and angle when the boards are outside the boat - or I can have it angled appropriately for the boards being inside the boat - but I cannot do both.

I'm feeling a little embarrassed that I can't seem to figure this out but it genuinely looks like the rack just doesn't fit the reverse swept tower. before I pay for return shipping I wanted to check to see if someone else has experience with it.
Did you end up keeping these? I was considering ordering and I have the same boat. Does the clamp fit on the tower properly? I see they claim it will only work with a 2.5in tower.

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Did you end up keeping these? I was considering ordering and I have the same boat. Does the clamp fit on the tower properly? I see they claim it will only work with a 2.5in tower.
For now I will be keeping them, I have my doubts as there are a lot of bolts that are holding it together I'm not sure how it will hold up on chop.

They make an adapter color for the tower tube the size is 2 3/8 in. but I don't like is that it is made of aluminum they do not offer a nylon or rubber insulator.

The rack holds the Zup 2.0 without any issues.
I've learned that you need to mount it a little higher on the tower in order for it to open and have sufficient clearance to not rub on the tower when it is swung towards the interior of the boat.

I finally tracked down the part number for the rack that comes on the 2019 242X but the price point is more than double that of the monster tower rack.

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For now I will be keeping them, I have my doubts as there are a lot of bolts that are holding it together I'm not sure how it will hold up on chop.

They make an adapter color for the tower tube the size is 2 3/8 in. but I don't like is that it is made of aluminum they do not offer a nylon or rubber insulator.

The rack holds the Zup 2.0 without any issues.
I've learned that you need to mount it a little higher on the tower in order for it to open and have sufficient clearance to not rub on the tower when it is swung towards the interior of the boat.

I finally tracked down the part number for the rack that comes on the 2019 242X but the price point is more than double that of the monster tower rack.
Update - took out the boat this weekend and loaded it up with the Zup 2.0 and wakeboard. I was pleased to observe that the rack had 0 issues securing the boards with very little free play.

We had crosswinds, chop and a few 40+ mph sprints and the rack never wavered.

I will be keeping the rack and may consider a second for the knee board. Have learned that the forks have to be removed to collapse the tower, but it is quickly done via quick release clamp.

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Update - took out the boat this weekend and loaded it up with the Zup 2.0 and wakeboard. I was pleased to observe that the rack had 0 issues securing the boards with very little free play.

We had crosswinds, chop and a few 40+ mph sprints and the rack never wavered.

I will be keeping the rack and may consider a second for the knee board. Have learned that the forks have to be removed to collapse the tower, but it is quickly done via quick release clamp.
Thanks for the input. You mentioned an adapter collar. Did it come with those?

Also, what PN did you confirm for the Yamaha rack that's on the 2019 242X? I'm down to those 2 options. Can you post a picture of the monster racks on your boat?

Thanks!

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for the input. You mentioned an adapter collar. Did it come with those?

Also, what PN did you confirm for the Yamaha rack that's on the 2019 242X? I'm down to those 2 options. Can you post a picture of the monster racks on your boat?

Thanks!
The Monster tower clamp did come with the appropriately sized collar insert. They machine their collar diameters to fit a 2.5" OD tower, but offer the collar adapters to fit smaller diameter tubes. I was thinking that the collar would be made of nylon or a hardened rubber - I was disappointed to see that it was made of aluminum. I called Monster to inquire about this and they claimed their product testing revealed that anything other than metal eventually degraded and allowed the rack to slip from its mounted position. They were quick to assure me that the aluminum collar would not scratch the powder coating on the tower - but they were wrong. The collar is going to scratch the powder coating where it is mounted - I know first hand. I used a single layer of electrical tape to try and insulate the powder coating from the aluminum insert, but I am not holding my breath. I have accepted that it is going to end up with some small scratches and that is a part of using the boat. (Easier said than done!)

I do not have pictures on my phone at the moment - my boat has to be stored with the tower collapsed so I can't even easily take a picture of the full rack - I will try and get one of my mounting location so you can see where I ended up putting the clamp.

The OEM 2019 242X large wakeboard rack part number is F3F-U260A-00-00

cwood

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The Monster tower clamp did come with the appropriately sized collar insert. They machine their collar diameters to fit a 2.5" OD tower, but offer the collar adapters to fit smaller diameter tubes. I was thinking that the collar would be made of nylon or a hardened rubber - I was disappointed to see that it was made of aluminum. I called Monster to inquire about this and they claimed their product testing revealed that anything other than metal eventually degraded and allowed the rack to slip from its mounted position. They were quick to assure me that the aluminum collar would not scratch the powder coating on the tower - but they were wrong. The collar is going to scratch the powder coating where it is mounted - I know first hand. I used a single layer of electrical tape to try and insulate the powder coating from the aluminum insert, but I am not holding my breath. I have accepted that it is going to end up with some small scratches and that is a part of using the boat. (Easier said than done!)

I do not have pictures on my phone at the moment - my boat has to be stored with the tower collapsed so I can't even easily take a picture of the full rack - I will try and get one of my mounting location so you can see where I ended up putting the clamp.

The OEM 2019 242X large wakeboard rack part number is F3F-U260A-00-00
Thanks for your inputs, I think I'm going to try the Bulletlines (Krypt). I wanted to go with the OEM rack, but that price is steep!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've determined that I will be returning the Monster Tower rack. I've had a hard time getting the boards to remain parallel to the boat and water. I have tightened all the bolts and nuts as much as possible and still I cannot keep the boards from rotating. Monster Towers has excellent customer service and have been very helpful throughout this whole process and their products seem to be built well; however there seems to be some compatibility issues with the angle of the Yamaha tower. I will be placing an order for the 242X OEM rack I will let you know how it goes.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm doing the same. I ordered the Monster wakeboard/wakesurf rack (with swivel) and just tried to install it and it its angled up or down - not parallel -= needs a 45 degree adapter.
I guess I need to suck up and pay yahama $800 for the OEM rack. . .. . if anyone else has a suggestion for a 242 LS (2015 or newer) boat - let me know

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So what ended up happening?

wheaties82

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I returned mine for OEM 242x rack. No regrets. 6 months and no issues. It's pricey but worth it IMO.

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I returned mine for OEM 242x rack. No regrets. 6 months and no issues. It's pricey but worth it IMO.
I called monster. They were great. They walked me through how to adjust it. Works perfect. Very high quality.