• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mooring Whips are the devil

gthh

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I run my boat on all the big lakes in the Finger lake region and every time I am on Seneca I get a gel coat ding.

Pulling her out of the public launch scraped my keel as bad as your pics. So I took a YouTube Master Class on repairing gel coat and bought a keel guard.

Now for me it is an end of season repair the gel coat dings Tradition when my boating outings are over.

Mostly I think it’s dumb luck but maybe I will run another length of keel guard to the stern!

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I run my boat on all the big lakes in the Finger lake region and every time I am on Seneca I get a gel coat ding.

Pulling her out of the public launch scraped my keel as bad as your pics. So I took a YouTube Master Class on repairing gel coat and bought a keel guard.

Now for me it is an end of season repair the gel coat dings Tradition when my boating outings are over.

Mostly I think it’s dumb luck but maybe I will run another length of keel guard to the stern!
Yep, if it werent for the broken rudder, I'd have gone the DIY route. Definitely seems moderately doable, especially if I could just cover with a keelguard when I was done.

No Monday morning quarterbacking here...I feel your pain, friend. Sometimes sh!t just happens, that's why we have insurance. Hope the insurance company treats you well. Have a beer and plan for next year :)
Yup, I was upset about it for a little while, but definitely filing it under shit happens. Dropped her off today, just waiting on the written estimate. Adjuster has been good so far.

Trm1765

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I use whips and the work great if I have them on right. As said earlier, you tie you boat to the dock as normal with a little slack, and a rope to keep it from going forward or back, then the whips just put a little tension to pull it away from the dock. No matter what the wind and water does, the boat can only go so far in any direction because it hits the end of the rope. One key thing is the rope from the whips need to be aligned with the boat so they cannot go forward and back, only straight out. They lose all of their effectiveness if those ropes are allowed to go forward and back.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So, two-month update. Boat's not fixed, lol.

Tom's River Marine & Motorsports: Dicked around for 7 weeks trying to get a fiberglass/gelcoat guy out there. First company supposedly sold the fiberglass business a week after quoting me (which took three weeks to get a quote). Second company sent me an early 90s looking excel file that talked about painting the gelcoat, and did not include any repairs to the AK - also googled them and could not find any evidence that this was a fiberglass company. Terrible communication and lack of any real interest in helping. Got real pissed and pulled the boat from them and took it somewhere else. Also, the quote they did give me - repairs wouldn't be done until March at the earliest.

Highway Marine (Quakertown, PA): Couldn't have been better. Great communication, delivered on the expectations they set. Dropped my boat off on 03NOV, they said I would have a full quote within a week. Saturday AM, I had a detailed quote in my inbox, and a phone call to go over it. Expect repairs to take 1.5-2 weeks.

SkiSafe Review: I literally could not be more pleased. Great communication, was not busting my balls over it taking nearly two months to get them a claim estimate. I sent them the estimate on Sunday, but my adjuster is out of office until next Monday - bummer. 9:30AM, his backup sent me an email letting me know the check was in the mail. That's the way insurance is supposed to work.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Back in business, ahead of schedule.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Highway Marine (Quakertown, PA): Couldn't have been better. Great communication, delivered on the expectations they set. Dropped my boat off on 03NOV, they said I would have a full quote within a week. Saturday AM, I had a detailed quote in my inbox, and a phone call to go over it. Expect repairs to take 1.5-2 weeks.
I deal with Highway Marine a lot and they've always been good to me, never had to fight with them for warranty repairs and never had them try to sell me stuff I didn't need or want. I also get the parts for our rescue boats from them and they've never let us down there either. Great to deal with and do what they say they're going to do. Highly recommend doing business with them. Your boat looks as good as new.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I deal with Highway Marine a lot and they've always been good to me, never had to fight with them for warranty repairs and never had them try to sell me stuff I didn't need or want. I also get the parts for our rescue boats from them and they've never let us down there either. Great to deal with and do what they say they're going to do. Highly recommend doing business with them. Your boat looks as good as new.
Yep, they're the real deal. Not anywhere close to me, but I'll happy haul the boat up there should I need any service in the future (hopefully not).