• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

motor won't turn over

Lance Stiffler

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've got a 454 jetboat I used it last September without any problem. Stored it away for the winter. Went to get it ready for my first river trip of the season and the motor is locked up and won't turn over. Any help?

Does it crank at all? Battery tested?

first you need to determine if it is the pump that locked up or the engine locked up.

Could be the starter itself. First determine if the engine is actually locked, pump locked or starter concern. Need more details

How do I determine if the pump is locked up or if it's the moto?

How do I determine if it's the pump or the motor

If you have the starter off use a large flat screwdriver and tape the flywheel. It only needs to move a small amount. Pull the spark plugs to release compression. Do not pound the screw driver and break the teeth off the flywheel. Can you unbolt the pump away from the motor? Usually those big blocks have most of the motor and pump exposed for easier access.

Wait--if the starter is off and cranking it does nothing, then the issue is not the motor, it is the starter or the solenoid or the switch. Or perhaps the wires going to the starter.

Right?

If the starter is off, have it bench tested. Or, you can do this yourself with a battery charger or cables. If the starter is back on the engine, ensure the battery is fully charged, then touch the large post of the starter lug with the small lug. This will engage the starter. Be careful and not touch anything else. If this does not engage it, you have a main cable problem or the starter is shot.

Wait--if the starter is off and cranking it does nothing, then the issue is not the motor, it is the starter or the solenoid or the switch. Or perhaps the wires going to the starter.

Right?

No I also have the starter off I'm trying to turn it by hand

I don't want to tear the whole motor apart if it's the jet that bad

I believe I told you to check it at the p t o on the back of the engine either the pump side will move a bit or the engine side will move a bit the side that won't move is where the problem is.

Ok it's not the jet it turns and the motor doesn't. What is my next step?

I would pull all of the plugs next and try to turn the engine. Without compression you should be able to do so. Also examine the plugs to see any that are not clean and normal.

(edited to clarify to try to turn _the engine_)

And? Plugs all clean?

Assuming that they are, did you fog before you put it away? Is your oil clear (not milky) and no evidence of water (if it hasn't been started in a while, the water may separate out)?

The only thing I can think at this point is that there was some moisture somewhere internal to the engine that has caused some rust on a ring or something and is freezing it up. If there is no starter on the engine and no plugs and the pump is disconnected, you should be able to turn the crankshaft. If it was running when you put it away, that would eliminate a thrown rod or something catastrophic like that.

I think I would get some fogging oil, fog the pistons and let it sit overnight and see if you can turn it then. Otherwise, I fear you may be in for a teardown.

Unless someone else has some other thoughts...

Back