• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Motorcycles, General questions

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
nope it is NC700X. But it is literly a scooter that Honda can put fancier plastics on it.
That is a neat looking bike. I think with its 115 mph top speed it will have no issues rolling with us. It looks comfortable as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or you can borrow mine!
upload_2018-10-23_22-42-56.png

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
a scooter with 100+ mph top speed as well
Yep, that's what I'm told...;)

It's cushy, too, and protects your clothes, lol.
I used to use it as a commuter for a while.

BTW - this used to be my event "park anywhere" ride.
Now, that could not keep up!
upload_2018-10-24_8-27-23.png

--

Minh Nguyen

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow I didn't read through the the tread but this sparked an inner fire that I've put out years ago. I've been through a dozen bikes in the past 10 years...gsxr1000s, cbr600s, sv10000s, r1s, rc51s, v twins to in lines all done on trackdays to back country roads early on sundays! If i had to put hundreds of miles on a bike I would go with a light weight sports bike like a ninja 300 or a cbr500. Something comfortable and light enough for some fun and not crazy scary fast for the streets. I'm all about going fast and having fun but that should be limited to the race tracks. Hell even the KTM 390 might strike a perfect balance between fun and performance for the streets. Raise the bars and switch out the saddle for a prolonged ride and you'll be good.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am sure you could take shortcut through the woods and get ahead of the pack.

I did get a chance some time on a similar Suzuki and the thing is Fast. On a traffic light will put Harley’s to shame

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
yea, I do nto think I can keep up with that LOL

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've lusted after one of these for years. HyperMotard 110EVo SP

View attachment 84675

I keep buying boats instead of motorcycles though. One day.....One day she will be mine!
That bike is on my shortlist, someday....

I am at 3 motorcycles now. But need another garage if i get anything more. Lol

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That bike is on my shortlist, someday....

I am at 3 motorcycles now. But need another garage if i get anything more. Lol
Yeah, i used to have a bike but i got cut off and had to ditch. I had all the gear on which was huge.
Actually really liked a yamaha stryker a month ago but my wife gave me the "you had a stroke" line so between the crash and a stroke it probably won't happen.
I did already convince her that when my truck dies (probably next 5 years) that we should get one of those ecoboost mustangs due to the 30 mpg highway and her sisters living in Texas and florida. She didn't even think about it she just said ok!
Now to see what can go wrong with my truck...

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My wife said she is game. We would get hotel rooms as well. We should also see Wheels through Time while up there.

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Like most that have replied, all gave great advice, tips etc. I have also rode for over 35 years, on everything.
Amature road raced several years on CBR1000 RR. Only going to comment on couple of things, no replacement for experience. Nothing can’t turn a great planned trip with your son into nightmare quicker than an accident and serious injury. That said, buy good safety gear, helmets, gloves, jackets and even good riding pants. I would highly recommend after buying your choice of bikes take an entire summer and just learn to ride and control the bike. Take short day trips, go out on days that’s it raining so you know what to expect and understand that your riding speed and how you ride will need to change, slower in corners, not snapping throttle open coming out of corners, which will spin tire when wet., etc.
If a situation arises that you need quick action to avoid, your reaction needs to be instinct and second nature. You will not have the time to “ think it through” it will be over long before that. Most of the accidents on motorcycles are not the fault of the motorcycle rider , but the other driver that did’nt see you. I think it is awesome you are going to do this, just make sure both you and your son have the experience to go and comeback as you left. Good luck and Godspeed.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like most that have replied, all gave great advice, tips etc. I have also rode for over 35 years, on everything.
Amature road raced several years on CBR1000 RR. Only going to comment on couple of things, no replacement for experience. Nothing can’t turn a great planned trip with your son into nightmare quicker than an accident and serious injury. That said, buy good safety gear, helmets, gloves, jackets and even good riding pants. I would highly recommend after buying your choice of bikes take an entire summer and just learn to ride and control the bike. Take short day trips, go out on days that’s it raining so you know what to expect and understand that your riding speed and how you ride will need to change, slower in corners, not snapping throttle open coming out of corners, which will spin tire when wet., etc.
If a situation arises that you need quick action to avoid, your reaction needs to be instinct and second nature. You will not have the time to “ think it through” it will be over long before that. Most of the accidents on motorcycles are not the fault of the motorcycle rider , but the other driver that did’nt see you. I think it is awesome you are going to do this, just make sure both you and your son have the experience to go and comeback as you left. Good luck and Godspeed.
They have already made their road trip with much success. This discussion has changed to another possible rode trip next spring

Last edited:

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
My only advice go rent several different bikes get a feel for it and then make your decision, I've own from sports bikes 600cc to 1200cc hayabusa to 9' long chopper to my current HD Dresser and i have gone over 300 miles on every single one, it all depends on the riders do not buy trust me get a feel for it by renting then make your decision every rider is different.

Mike & Lilly

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Lol oops well glad they made the trip and everything went well sorry for the late comment but very happy for you guys be safe

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mike Clark - so you up for the trip? We will be planning shortly and it sounds like you will have experience to contribute!

Marvin willis

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I owned two gsxr1000s. If you plan on getting sport bikes for touring your trip will be over after day one. Your hands and butt will be too sore to ride. Not to mention all the leg cramps. Sport bikes don’t even start riding good til after 120-150mph.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I haven't read the whole thread, but I've ridden a bit and owned 5 streetbikes over a period of about 20 years. I've ridden quite a few others, from GSXRs to Ducatis to BMW sport tourers and HD Electra Glides. Sportbikes are amazing. No doubt about it. However, they are amazing at doing what they were designed to do - which is to be ridden hard. That's not touring...heck, that's not even day to day riding. For me, the frustrating thing about these kinds of bike can be that the opportunities to actually ride them anywhere even remotely approaching where they are tuned to work best are very rare. In my experience, most day-to-day riding is more like "touring" than it is like sport riding. Put this in terms of something else - say boats. Would you want to go on a long tour in a flat bottom jet-drive go-fast boat? I wouldn't. Get something that lets you sit upright with your legs in a natural position (preferably with multiple places for your feet so you can switch it up). Wind protection is up to you and can be a double-edged sword, as it can create really uncomfortable buffeting if you aren't the right height for it, although you can always modify.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
thread revival! lets talk more bikes. Being that its a naturally socially distancing hobby lol Thats the part I like about it. NO I dont wanna stop and got to your disgusting bar, Leave me alone let me ride. FYI felt this way sans pandemic lol

Anyways, During VIrus shutdowns, no school...no soccer coaching... we had time. In mid march, I bought my son this rust bucket 1978 kawasaki kz200 for 100 bucks lol

I think we put about 300 more in it reviving it for my 17 yo son to ride. top end, new bars, cables etc... de-rusted and painted it.

when we bought it:

somewhat finished project.

Hes practiced for a while with me, and passed his MSF course in june. Licensed rider at 17. Very quickly, we ve been realizing hell soon outgrow it.

Fast forward to late July, I leave work, and my bike(BMW r1150r) is gone from the parking lot. Thought I was crazy or a coworker moved it lol-I am middle aged of course.... NOPE. Checked security footage..watched a guy ride it away 13 minutes after I parked it lol i always left my key in a storage spot on my tank. Guy must have known that :/ I eventually got it back when they caught the guy. but it was destroyed with new paint bags and badges gone. I was Sad but i let it go. Insurance took care of me, more or less...

So I bought this 2016 BMW R1200RS. Glorious machine. BMW has totally upgraded the simple boxer engine I'm used to. Fast comfortable, And its gorgeous.

Now, Back to the boy growing out of the 200.... On the way home from picking that beemer up, a 300 mile ride..We had to stop and pick up some new rain gear because it was deluging.. My gear was all stolen with the bike and NOT returned. Sadly, my panniers were never recovered.... We stop at a Yamaha bike shop about halfway home. My son saw the brand new Yamaha MT-03. He sat on it. I immediately called insurance company for a quote-totally not bad.... So, He took what money he saved slinging ice cream cones for his job at the local dairy barn, and I paid the rest.

BIG BIG positive review on this little bike. Its super fun, like a sportbike, without the speeds of a sportbike. Yet Still capable of highway speed and handles well. Also, it straight up just looks way cool. 300 cc twin! He drives his brother the 4 blocks to school on it daily!

truly having a blast watching him learn to love this hobby as much as his old man....

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow I didn't read through the the tread but this sparked an inner fire that I've put out years ago. I've been through a dozen bikes in the past 10 years...gsxr1000s, cbr600s, sv10000s, r1s, rc51s, v twins to in lines all done on trackdays to back country roads early on sundays! If i had to put hundreds of miles on a bike I would go with a light weight sports bike like a ninja 300 or a cbr500. Something comfortable and light enough for some fun and not crazy scary fast for the streets. I'm all about going fast and having fun but that should be limited to the race tracks. Hell even the KTM 390 might strike a perfect balance between fun and performance for the streets. Raise the bars and switch out the saddle for a prolonged ride and you'll be good.

see my thread above. If you live in a urban area, consider the yamaha mt-03 or R3(Same bike, R is sportier stance and styling). 300 cc twin. The engine has a crazy short stroke, so it revs like mad. Makes like 36 hp or something.... Really fun. But, if backroad thrashing is your speed, you'll want more power.