• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Motorcycles, General questions

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Excellent story and sorry to hear your bike was stolen. I am also doing a lot of moto riding and I mix it with camping so I can stay out longer. I have an FZ8 which is like your sons mt-03 but a bit more horses. I was thinking about buying a bmw f800 adventure bike that I found near me but I think I need the 1200..... not sure but it needs to be a road bike first with some off road capabilities.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Excellent story and sorry to hear your bike was stolen. I am also doing a lot of moto riding and I mix it with camping so I can stay out longer. I have an FZ8 which is like your sons mt-03 but a bit more horses. I was thinking about buying a bmw f800 adventure bike that I found near me but I think I need the 1200..... not sure but it needs to be a road bike first with some off road capabilities.
dont get me started on off road bikes. My son (and me really) want to do the tat.

DO NOT go look at the new 1250gs adventure unless you are prepared to spend money lol excellent machine...just BIG. feels unbreakable. the f850gs adventure is stunning as well. but IM a boxer engine guy.

IF we do get into riding alot of off road adventure touring... Im really considering an old HP2 enduro. stripped down boxer designed exactly for that. Rally style......

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
dont get me started on off road bikes. My son (and me really) want to do the tat.

DO NOT go look at the new 1250gs adventure unless you are prepared to spend money lol excellent machine...just BIG. feels unbreakable. the f850gs adventure is stunning as well. but IM a boxer engine guy.

IF we do get into riding alot of off road adventure touring... Im really considering an old HP2 enduro. stripped down boxer designed exactly for that. Rally style......

I think enduro is the way to go and I am going to opt out of the bmw f800. I learned that it is a rotax engine made by can am which is not my preference. I just took a trip to ocean city MD for a few days and the FZ8 performed excellent

osteodoc08

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’d recommend some time on a bike for your son. You’re asking for trouble. A cross country tour for a motorcycle neophyte is asking for a tragic ending. Get him a bike to learn on and take a MSF class. Then decide on a trip.

or

rent a Jeep or convertible. The thing here is TIME WITH YOUR SON. I lost dad 7 years ago now at age 57. Not a day goes by I don’t think about him and just wish I had more time with him.

move had several bikes over the years. The only one I wish I still had was my ZX-14R. Big, comfortable and more power than I needed.
If I was going on a long tour I’d go Honda Goldwing for utmost comfort or HD Ultra but I’d have a hard time turning down a Concourse.

Attachments

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d recommend some time on a bike for your son. You’re asking for trouble. A cross country tour for a motorcycle neophyte is asking for a tragic ending. Get him a bike to learn on and take a MSF class. Then decide on a trip.

or

rent a Jeep or convertible. The thing here is TIME WITH YOUR SON. I lost dad 7 years ago now at age 57. Not a day goes by I don’t think about him and just wish I had more time with him.

move had several bikes over the years. The only one I wish I still had was my ZX-14R. Big, comfortable and more power than I needed.
If I was going on a long tour I’d go Honda Goldwing for utmost comfort or HD Ultra but I’d have a hard time turning down a Concourse.
Weve done all that.

He has two bikes to learn on. the 1978 kawasaki kz200, which he helped completely rebuild and a 2020 yamaha mt03. both teeny tiny displacement. Ive tried to wheelie both and failed lol

And Hes already taken the MSF. Actually a Requirement if you want a license before 18 here. between the two bikes, hes at about 2500 miles this year and doing really well. Also had 2 yrs on the moped and the training for it before that. Graduation wont be til June.

I too would not turn down a Concourse great bikes to lay down the miles. And good looking. My r1200rs is similar in mission.

definitely agree about TIME. that's what this is all about. My greatest memories with my dad were riding with him on his bike, never got to really enjoy riding alongside him. He was talking about it right before he died. 2 days after retiring at 62.

So basically, Besides the convertible thing (yucky) I agree with all you say... If its cars...maybe a Porsche 914 or similar minimalist car... Im not a fan of new jeeps and their slushboxes. boring. two wheels is better than the cage in almost any situation.