• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mounting Battery Charger

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm trying to mount a ProMariner 2o in a 2018 212 limited s. I can't seem to find a really open convenient spot for it except in the port side engine bay. Its a pretty thin 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch panel I could drill through and bolt on. Is there any reason this can't be mounted at a 45 degree angle? Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I would do wires facing up, but I see nothing wrong with it.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm trying to mount a ProMariner 2o in a 2018 212 limited s. I can't seem to find a really open convenient spot for it except in the port side engine bay. Its a pretty thin 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch panel I could drill through and bolt on. Is there any reason this can't be mounted at a 45 degree angle? Thanks for any advice.
Should work fine. Have you considered screwing it down to the floor in the compartment where your batteries are at? You can still store stuff on top of it.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Should work fine. Have you considered screwing it down to the floor in the compartment where your batteries are at? You can still store stuff on top of it.
I hadn't thought of that. Thank you. I'm pretty novice at all this stuff so I'm going off of research from this forum, youtube, and the manual. ProMariner says to keep the charger as far from the batteries as possible, and it seemed like the engine compartment was most popular mounting spot.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I hadn't thought of that. Thank you. I'm pretty novice at all this stuff so I'm going off of research from this forum, youtube, and the manual. ProMariner says to keep the charger as far from the batteries as possible, and it seemed like the engine compartment was most popular mounting spot.
Here is pic of mine, I circled it in red. As you can see I throw stuff on top of it with no issues.

This storage compartment is probably the most common install location . Some screw to the floor others to the side.C131C04F-A40D-43C2-9300-8D9D5DB2C338.jpeg

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is pic of mine, I circled it in red. As you can see I throw stuff on top of it with no issues.

This storage compartment is probably the most common install location . Some screw to the floor others to the side.
Nice setup. Thanks for the picture. I like those bluetops too. That's next up on the upgrade list.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
General rule of thumb for mounting any type of control box that has connectors or integrated wire leads is to mount it such that wires enter from bottom, or if coming from horizontal you have a dip (down) in the wire harness. This will significantly limit the potential of water collecting on the harness or connector, dripping down towards the box and finally working (wicking) its way into the normally sealed box.

Easy way to think of this, is if stuff gets wet (often just dew is the cause), you want the water to drip away from the box and never drain towards a connection, even if water tight seal.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A little info. to consider when mounting things around batteries from a marine survey site.
Screenshot_20180419-063914.png
Screenshot_20180419-064130.png

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
General rule of thumb for mounting any type of control box that has connectors or integrated wire leads is to mount it such that wires enter from bottom, or if coming from horizontal you have a dip (down) in the wire harness. This will significantly limit the potential of water collecting on the harness or connector, dripping down towards the box and finally working (wicking) its way into the normally sealed box.

Easy way to think of this, is if stuff gets wet (often just dew is the cause), you want the water to drip away from the box and never drain towards a connection, even if water tight seal.
I was thinking the opposite in this posistion. While this is great for area's that collect water from the top, water can build up (hopefully not) in the engine compartment, since all water drains to the bilge there and if in rough conditions could potentially splash up to the charger.

I am curious why that chargers need to be below a battery... and why wing nuts should not be used.

Honey Badger

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for all the great information guys. I didn't even think about having a low point in the cables, away from the battery terminals, for the water to drip to.

YamahaKub

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Was mostly just providing comment about how wiring should he properly routed into a box. Sorry, was not referring to any particular location of a control box vs other parts of the system. Inputs were just inputs on how cables/wires enter a control box (of any kind). Like you mention, best to keep any control box away from water if possible (even if waterproof). 100 percent agree. Water can enter a sealed connector that has traveled a long distance from where the harness is exposed to the elements. Very common and misdiagnosed failure in many industries. Intrusion occurs because water (even just moisture) will sit against the connector face or seal for days, weeks or months and eventually work its way in.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was thinking the opposite in this posistion. While this is great for area's that collect water from the top, water can build up (hopefully not) in the engine compartment, since all water drains to the bilge there and if in rough conditions could potentially splash up to the charger.

I am curious why that chargers need to be below a battery... and why wing nuts should not be used.
Batteries out gas hydrogen as part of the charging process, which is lighter than the air around it. The hydrogen, if not vented, will rise/collect to the top of the compartment. Any spark produced by opening/closing of contacts could cause ignition/explosion. The big battery bank in my home solar set up is in a sealed box vented to the outside of the building. The idea behind the wing nuts is that they could loosen or could be loosened by hand accidently and cause a spark. Similar to jump starting a car with cables, usually see a spark at the final connection. In the surveys I have had done recently, the surveyor will write this up in his report. It may not be reportable, but leaving propane grill fuel bottles in any compartment will be reported to the coast guard. Just a few things I have witnessed in the surveys we have had done, looking for a good sailboat.https://jetboaters.net/threads/we-have-been-looking-to-add-to-our-boating-options.15561/page-3#post-295161

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
What about the charger? Maybe I missed that part lol. I always store my boat with the battery seat open anyways.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What about the charger? Maybe I missed that part lol. I always store my boat with the battery seat open anyways.
Just saying...do not mount the charger over the batteries. Off to the side or at floor level ok. The battery compartment on these boats are not sealed by the seat cushion on it. Leaving that cushion ajar or off, as you do is great and good insurance to prevent a battery explosion while charging. Most people on this site have not ever hired a professional surveyor to access the limited systems on our Yamahas, which are minor, as compared to larger vessels. I did not hire one when we purchased our Yamaha. But you will learn alot if you can follow one around for a day.

Last edited: