• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Mounting Magma Grill on the Bow

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Total cost $60 (If you already have the grill), Total time 15 minutes. Parts required grill mount, three stainless #8 x 3/4" screws.

Last year I grilled with a coleman grill sitting on the table on the swim deck. I found that every time I was grilling the amount of traffic in and out of the boat increased. Then I purchased a Magma Cabo in a black friday sale last year. I tried it in the kitchen on a rainy day before using on the boat and quickly learned that touching any part of the grill other than the handle will burn you. Based on the hot grill issue I decided that it either needed to be mounted to the side or not be on the swim deck.

After considering all kinds of places to mount it I decided to mount it to the bow. I used a Magma T10-327 mount http://www.magmaproducts.com/Produc...met_Mounts/Single_Mounts/T10-327/t10-327.html . The best price that I could find was $56 from Ebay - Northernmarine. This includes the flush mount and levellock connection to the grill.

I installed the flush mount between the bow light and anchor locker. I used a 1 1/8" hole saw to drill a hole for the flush mount then drilled 1/8" holes for the screws. Magma suggests bolts with nuts and washers. I used what I had on hand and it is holding fine.

The levellock mounts to the bottom of the grill using a set of four bolts, lock nuts and washers that were supplied with the grill. It can be locked flush to the bottom so the grill can be used with the fold out legs when not mounted to the boat. The grill fits fine in the storage bag with the mount installed.

The flush mount can be seen behind the bow light in this picture. It has a rubber plug to prevent water getting in and it is flat enough that it is not unpleasant to step on.

BowLight2.jpg

This is the grill in use

I find this to be a comfortable location for grilling. If the grill were to drip, which it has not, it would either be into the water or onto fiberglass where it would run over the side.

Magma says that the mount is only rated for use at anchor. I have driven around 20 mph in calm water with the grill mounted without seeing any issue but I would not recommend attacking waves with it.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey, if you hit a wake just right bet you could pop one of those fine looking fillets in your mouth! :cool:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice install. So, can you get into the anchor locker with the grill up?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice install. So, can you get into the anchor locker with the grill up?
It will open part of the way. I set the anchor before grilling. If I move before the grill has cooled I set the anchor in the bow.

You are not supposed to drive with the grill mounted so there is little need to access the anchor locker.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
... Unless you are like me and have not left enough scope on your anchor, and...

Anyway, I am probably unique in my lack of skill in that area. But I am getting better.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... Unless you are like me and have not left enough scope on your anchor, and...

Anyway, I am probably unique in my lack of skill in that area. But I am getting better.
Letting out more rope would be easy. Getting the anchor back in there would be a tough fit.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great install @Bruce. I love your set up. Well done.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @Bruce i bought the same mount. Picking up some stainless nuts and bolts this evening.
Did you mount this through the anchor locker door? I was looking at my boat this weekend and there is no room in front of the door since it covered the entire area up there.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MattFX4 Mine is just off to the port side of the anchor locker. I have the kettle, so it doesn't interfere with the anchor locker door, but the larger grill might, You would still probably be able to swivel it out of the way. I think you have room there too. Just be careful of the wires that run under there.

Super zoomed in picture, but you can see the mount next to the locker.
FullSizeRender.jpg

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
whats the install for these look like. Drilling a hole for the mount, screwing it in and then sealing around it?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
whats the install for these look like. Drilling a hole for the mount, screwing it in and then sealing around it?
Yes. The mount will most likely open into the anchor locker which has a drain.

AJACHIM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes. The mount will most likely open into the anchor locker which has a drain.
I have a 19footer with no anchor locker in the bow but I do have enough surface area to put a mount like this in I think.